damp proof course

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

damp proof course

Postby gliffaes » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:41 pm

In search of a thick quality dpc I came across this sort of rubberised tarpaulin stuff today, its quite thick unlike the crappy plastic on a roll Ive seen available at Thai watsadu.
6mx4m am just wondering if it will be ok as in durable enough for the next 40 yrs etc?? It has eyelets but these can be cut off and the edges taped together. It will mean 2 joints in the entire floor space of my maids build, which is good.
I have no idea of its lifespan but I am also using waterproof concrete for all beams and the slab.
Attachments
dpc.jpg
gliffaes

Re: damp proof course

Postby geordie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:03 pm

As a grown man you should know by now plastic,s are made in different grade,s with different properties the question you need to know is will it react with the chemicals in the concrete go brittle like a crisp and disintergrate :oops: Good luck finding an answer :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just use the same stuff they do ???? its main purpose in your case is to stop the fat running out of the concrete into the ground given that you are adding waterproofer are you intending to mix on site ? otherwise you use CPAC
and almost guarantee,d it will not be added an option there would be go to the yard and add it to the trucks tank you could at the same time tell him you would like it thicker than water again good luck on that one ?
A simple solution would be add the waterproofer to the cement screed they lay the tiles on !! and if you can find it add dpc under the walls if you cannot find it try and find a roll of roofing felt
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:22 pm

gliffaes wrote:In search of a thick quality dpc

Why do you need a damp proof course?
fredlk

Postby geordie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:54 pm

Fred "you" don,t you have sand underneath you :D great drainage but in england where the soil retains moisture the moisture will penitrate the floors and walls soaking up the wall from the ground causing problems with you decorations and even your tiles so anywhere you have soil in contact with the house ? walls floors its better to add a simple plastic membrane to prevent it happening or you can add a liquid "silicone" ?? to your water before you mix the concrete this will make the concrete waterproof it also adds to the strength but as i stated above ther are various ways of doing it you could if you wanted add it to the tile mix and to be ultra cautious the render which will then throw water off if you aim a hose at it the other spin off using waterproofer is it makes the concrete surface dustproof the downside being its usually not cheap and you cannot have a joint in the slab as in pour half today and half tommorow it does not join well
geordie

Postby fredlk » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:27 am

geordie wrote:"you" don,t you have sand underneath you :D great drainage but in england ........

I know that it's needed in England and The Netherlands, but in Thailand?
Repeat for gliffaes:
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:24 am

Geordie not only damp in England hear Atlantis also has a water problem.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby gliffaes » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:08 am

fredlk wrote:
geordie wrote:"you" don,t you have sand underneath you :D great drainage but in england ........

Repeat for gliffaes:

Fred have you ever sat in a shop and noticed the paint bubbling off the walls at the bottom near the floor??? = damp. NOW it seems less prevalent here but its a PRECAUTION just in case, it costs little to add. See Dozers build pics. My house is sitting on the floor now not raised up. If they do add waterproofer to the concrete at CPAC all will be well BUT how can I be sure??? answer I cant, so as a preventative measure that may never be needed Ill add it.
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:12 am

gliffaes wrote:
fredlk wrote:

Repeat for gliffaes:

Fred have you ever sat in a shop and noticed the paint bubbling off the walls at the bottom near the floor??? = damp. It seems less prevalent here but its a PRECAUTION just in case, it costs little to add. See Dozers build pics. My house is sitting on the floor now not raised up. If they do add waterproofer to the concrete at CPAC all will be well BUT how can I be sure??? answer I cant, so as a preventative measure that may never be needed Ill add it. If it was off the ground I wouldnt bother

Geordie Im ordering 280 steng gansum ready mix for all beams columns floors same as pools I believe so am "hoping" they will add it, its only 1600bm3 so not overly expensive.
last option wait for cement lorry chuck in some liquid water proofer but this is not a good option.
I dont know if the plastic will go brittle this is the problem, I have seen many plastics do this even the black stuff they sell here on a roll dont look so hot.
gliffaes

Postby geordie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:21 am

Fred has got a point you are on good drainage your water table is so far down as not to be a worry but its cheap and has benifits with the concrete so may as well use it

If they add the waterproofer it,s done with the water for a truck to chuck it in on site ? the concrete would go off before it mixed properly so it has to be added at the yard trucks in the uk have a tank they fill up and use for mixing you could pop down there and add it to the water in the tank especially if you mark the bottle with a bulshit lable in English siliconised concrete aditive
Aqua repellant
add to water %
dustproofer
anti termite
noxious to ants
may contain elements
of bull ???
The plastic only has to last the life of the pour ? you might spend big money and end up with crap so you may as well spend small money and get a guarantee its crap :mrgreen: you do have good drainage on your side so should not be a problem
geordie

Postby MGV12 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:21 am

gliffaes wrote:
Geordie Im ordering 280 steng gansum ready mix for all beams columns floors same as pools I believe so am "hoping" they will add it

Quite possibly things vary from depot to depot but I have had many a delivery and the waterproofer has always been added. If it's on the delivery note it's in there, in my experience, just make sure it's printed [not handwritten] on the note before it's poured. We've all heard stories, some have experienced, short loads and such but they're not all crooks in LOS. With a reputable company your only problem is usually over-watering. If you go for the cheapest or negotiate the price down on your head be it ............................

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:09 am

NGV12,
You are totally right, the company I used Fast Concrete had it printed on each delivery docket. And if ever a house was to have damp it was mine that sat for 2 months in flood waters.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:46 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:NGV12,
You are totally right, the company I used Fast Concrete had it printed on each delivery docket. And if ever a house was to have damp it was mine that sat for 2 months in flood waters.

The blocks took a beating though :( waterproofer in the render might have prevented some of that :oops: but you cannot allow for EVERY eventuallity The question really is on a hill on sandy subsoil ?? how cautious do you need to be ?? a couple of coats of bitumen can help but not 100% any holes pipes cables can allow the water through
Your particular blocks use a special render anyway RR so probably has better waterproffing than sand cement however not supposed to spend weeks under water
geordie

Postby payebacs » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:06 am

A previous poster mentioned that pouring onto plastic creates an almost glossy undersurface to one's slab which in itself may possess waterproofing qualitites.. I wouldn't know about that but it does make sense to me that the less the surface area, the less concrete exposed to any potential water from beneath so personally, I'd think it worth pouring onto even stretched out plastic tesco shopping bags.. or are there some serious downsides to incorrectly placed or sourced plastic under pours given that the concrete itself has been already waterproofed that is.. which I didn't know possible so I'm learning something new.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby dozer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:27 pm

thick quality dpc I came across this sort of rubberised tarpaulin stuff today, its quite thick unlike the crappy plastic on a roll Ive seen available at Thai watsadu
Most of the time I have noticed that they use a very very thin clear plastic kind of like saran wrap, which may be what you have seen at Thai Watsadu. If you check in Global House they have some very nice thicker plastic which works well as a damp course, but it is much thinner than what you have in your picture (but thicker than the very think clear plastic). I have not seen anything that thick as in your picture used as a damp course here.

Fred has got a point you are on good drainage your water table is so far down as not to be a worry but its cheap and has benifits with the concrete so may as well use it
Most houses do OK without one, I was in one place near the beach in thailand (in a rental house many years ago) which had a real problem with the water level, and the paint did peal off the walls in the entire subdivision.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby gliffaes » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:51 pm

Yes the conclusion after seeing how well drained it was last night when we had torrential rain and thunder and then looking at the bone dry footings this morning was................ no plastic but am using 280steng Gansum from C pac in all footings and beams and columns ( just to be sure) and asking for all the tickets form the company , its 1750 m3 here for that mix.
gliffaes

Return to cement, concrete and mortar