Q-con block

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Q-con block

Postby fredbkk » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:07 am

Hello,

To build my house i will use Q-con block thickness 7,5 cm concerning the exterior wall do i need 2 skins or one is enough ? If it's not i do one skin of Q-con and add one skin of red bricks or 2 skins of Q-con and in the middle cement or sand ? I look for strong and good insulation solution but not to pricey if it's possible... Thanks a lot for your advice
fredbkk

Re: Q-con block

Postby geordie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:43 am

fredbkk wrote:Hello,

To build my house i will use Q-con block thickness 7,5 cm concerning the exterior wall do i need 2 skins or one is enough ? If it's not i do one skin of Q-con and add one skin of red bricks or 2 skins of Q-con and in the middle cement or sand ? I look for strong and good insulation solution but not to pricey if it's possible... Thanks a lot for your advice

Looking back at septura,s thread he has used the small blocks as a single skin ! so the answer is yes you can use them but it is a case of up to you the insulation benifits will be minimal fairly obvious more insulation is better others have used double skin with the blocks
with an air gap there is no need to infill the gap although you could if you so wished put insulation in the cavity i think Max & bee has building in chaing mai but he went further and built double walls internally with the same blocks a single skin of 3 inch blocks would worry me from a security point of veiw i reckon max,s favourite a shoulder charge would demolish the wall without too much problem so external walls i would definately double up on either two skins of the superblock or as you suggested bricks or concrete internally in which case you would be better insulating the cavity all pointless unless you intend to have aircon as you will stop the sun warming the wall and the wall radiating heat into the building but it will warm up to air temperature anyway an alternative is the heavier aac/supablocks which work better in stopping the heat and are stonger by virtue of the fact they are thicker the advantage is only one wall to build instead of two so a saving on time and labour, Internally
""your choice"" there are benifits if you are having say only the bedroom with aircon suround it with supablocks keep the cool in and heat out insulate the ceiling alowing you to use red brick or thai concrete blocks for other walls but then you have to be a bit selective as the supablock has a special render so will probably end up a different texture to your normal sand and cement render It has been argued that the time saving and ease of supablock brings down the labour cost to almost break even with the concrete sand/cement render or at least close enough to make the supablock viable as a "superior alternative" Personally i would go with heavier superblocks (AACC) and reap the benifits of the insulation and strength for all outside walls and take a long hard look at costings i know from RR the price has spiked big time because suposedly of the flooding and it can be dificult to obtain them in some area,s I would compare the costing against having normal blocks/bricks internally to see if there is a real substantial saving but then i am probably going to plasterboard all internal walls same as Max so no difference in texture,s Its really a case of its your budget so make a decision a cavity also has the advantage of hiding all you services (pipes cables and even colums) but again its up to you to balance the budget The aim is to make it comfortable as well as beautiful Another option is to take a look at which walls cop the sun which are in shade and use the aacc blocks only where you need to do you have a drawing or design of what you are aiming for? Take a read of RR building in nonthaburi or max and bee in chaing Mai ???? I think max might be going single skin with the observatory he is currently building so you may be able to get a comparison on the same ste as regard double or single
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby pattayapope » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:51 am

Unless you really don't have the money I would not use the 7.7 cm blocks on the outside walls, 15 cm are much better and when the wall is "chased" out to install the electrics and plumbing you will still have quite a bit of meat left in the block. From my observations I think in the bathroom area red bricks are better and some members have used red bricks in this area. I have noticed that the blocks absorb water and in my main bathroom around the shower drain area the tiles at the bottom are a slightly darker color as they Qcon is wet behind the tiles, it is probably not a problem but worth considering to use red bricks in this area.
pattayapope

Postby geordie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:57 am

pattayapope wrote:Unless you really don't have the money I would not use the 7.7 cm blocks on the outside walls, 15 cm are much better and when the wall is "chased" out to install the electrics and plumbing you will still have quite a bit of meat left in the block. From my observations I think in the bathroom area red bricks are better and some members have used red bricks in this area. I have noticed that the blocks absorb water and in my main bathroom around the shower drain area the tiles at the bottom are a slightly darker color as they Qcon is wet behind the tiles, it is probably not a problem but worth considering to use red bricks in this area.

AAcc blocks it says it all airated autoclaved the air bubles deliberately in the blocks are what give them the high insulation value unfortunately they also make a brilliant sponge I think Jazzman ?suggested in showers and bathrooms to use swiming pool thinfix adhesive and swimming pool grout to prevent the water getting to the blocks could be wrong but makes sense looks like you may have a bit of remedial work later PP
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredbkk » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:09 pm

geordie wrote:
fredbkk wrote:Hello,

Looking back at septura,s thread he has used the small blocks as a single skin ! so the answer is yes you can use them but it is a case of up to you the insulation benifits will be minimal fairly obvious more insulation is better others have used double skin with the blocks ......

<original quote abbreviated - mod>

Thanks a lot for your advice, have a nice day :D
fredbkk

Postby fredbkk » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:13 pm

[quote="pattayapope"]Unless you really don't have the money I would not use the 7.7 cm blocks on the outside walls, 15 cm are much better and when the wall is "chased" out to install the electrics and plumbing you will still have quite a bit of meat left in the block. From my observations I think in the bathroom area red bricks are better and some members have used red bricks in this area. I have noticed that the blocks absorb water and in my main bathroom around the shower drain area the tiles at the bottom are a slightly darker color as they Qcon is wet behind the tiles, it is probably not a problem but worth considering to use red bricks in this area.[/quote

Thanks
fredbkk

Postby Maseratimartin » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:15 am

Before you lay tiles in wet areas you should seal off the walls!
Doesn't matter what blocks you use....if they get continious soaked with water germs will grow and its over with the healthy living!
Maseratimartin

Return to cement, concrete and mortar