Beam construction tip

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Beam construction tip

Postby John » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:35 pm

It is quite common practice for Thai constructors to dig trenches for wall beams. This saves them having to wood shutter the beams above ground. Be aware that setting the beams below ground level can in some situations cause damp problems around the bottom of walls. I have recently seen this occur and result in paint blistering on both sides of the wall.
John

Re: Beam construction tip

Postby geordie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Any part of the construction could potentially allow damp penitration if in contact with the ground a simple cure is a plastic membrane not widely used or a waterproofing additive put in with the mix definately not common practice over there
In the uk work cannot proceed beyond the damp proof course (a layer of plastic to stop rising damp)untill its been verified by the local goverment officer that one has been put into place correctly I think the Thais still think of housing being a throwaway commodity to an extent IE: build your shack and when it falls down build a new one
legislation if it exists is poorly enforced and maintainance seems to be put a plaster on it why waste money when it will fall down one day and you will have to put a new one or maybe thats just my family who assume if it breaks or falls over the fallang can foot the bill i was certainly disapointed to here the bungalow i built thre years ago was a tip not even cleaned ??
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby John » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:55 pm

Geordie
I know what you’re saying about the UK style DPC but believe it or not Thai houses don’t really suffer much from rising damp. Cement blocks and red bricks do a good job of sucking up water and that is why it’s best to place the less porous beam concrete in between the walls and the ground.
John

Postby geordie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:28 am

the lack of damp is probably lack of 1mtr plus of wall underground for footings :roll:
Add to the fact you build a hill? then build the house on it so each house has its own little island and as you say concrete is less pourous but its not waterproof either without additive so it would help to chuck some in the mix for the little extra cost you could add it to the floor as well I would prefer to do that than lay down their idea of a membrane on the mil build it looked more like cling film than membrane ! aside from that is here anyway the waterproofer is a hardener also and it naturally is a dustproofer so three in one :roll: how bad is that :lol:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Return to cement, concrete and mortar