Column footings

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Column footings

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:34 pm

MGV12,
You ask where I am going with my point. I ask why we are considering Thailand to be mud, rice paddies and unstable soil, when in actual fact there are huge areas that footings would be impossible to use... unless you knew an explosives engineer who was willing to blast them out for you. The statement was that all houses need both beams and columns and that is just not true because it depends on where you build in Thailand. The fact that column footings may not be necessary at all, depending on the area, has not been entertained at all. So I'm asking why is it necessary to use column footings "in most cases" when building here, when there are alternatives, depending on the area you live in?
The other thing nobody has addressed is the methods, other than column footings, of actually stabalising the ground using agents impregnated into the soil instead of column footings.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:17 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:MGV12,
You ask where I am going with my point. I ask why we are considering Thailand to be mud, rice paddies and unstable soil, when in actual fact there are huge areas that footings would be impossible to use... unless you knew an explosives engineer who was willing to blast them out for you. The statement was that all houses need both beams and columns and that is just not true

Whose statement was that?

Roger Ramjet wrote:The fact that column footings may not be necessary at all, depending on the area, has not been entertained at all.

Incorrect - not all constructions built here have column footings; or even columns.

Roger Ramjet wrote:So I'm asking why is it necessary to use column footings "in most cases" when building here, when there are alternatives, depending on the area you live in?

Predominantly because that's what Thai engineers and contractors are used to doing so that's what they use.

Roger Ramjet wrote:The other thing nobody has addressed is the methods, other than column footings, of actually stabalising the ground using agents impregnated into the soil instead of column footings.

I suggest you start a new thread entitled 'Alternative house foundations in Thailand'; your musings might otherwise be missed in a thread entitled 'Column Footings'

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby geordie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:47 pm

MGV12 wrote:I suggest you start a new thread entitled 'Alternative house foundations in Thailand'; your musings might otherwise be missed in a thread entitled 'Column Footings'

personally i would say its in a good location as primarily its wandering around the same subject footings = whether they are colum raft rock??oak beams brick stepped foundations strip foundations >>the colums are addded later as part of the style of construction used not only there but europe as well what we should all remember is the Thais have only fairly recently adapted to anything other than stone or timber in comparison to most other society,s
As you stated they stay within known boundry,s with whatever they do thats why the four meter grid a structural engineer could elongate that with the right size and no of rebars
but over there it would because of the risk of corner cutting end in disaster low quality steel low quality cement no poker to compact it incorrect use of the poker rebar laying on the formwork and thats just a few ways that would come to mind better to stay with what you know they can do and stay safe or better you know what to do and give them close scrutiny
otherwise lable the house """DANGER OF DEATH"" not somewhere that would attract visitors or give you comfort at bedtime or any other time
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby otis-a » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:03 pm

why footings?
Interesting u ask. Was looking around and seems most settlements are near the rice fields. You can trail blaze like fred and pay 100,000's tb for electrical service. Or just flow with the system where is e power. In this case u r very highly likely to be near low lands that need fill. Once u fill, as vast majority often do, u either go use the more economical footer method or do exotic expensive ''other options''.
Considering trail blaze is not so exciting for retired people like me. Do i need headach of road install, and power line running? I get cold feet each time i condsider some cheap plot away off up some hill.
Adv+ 1.of hill settlements: leaves flood planes as such and preserves ag lands. 2. Does away with fill and column footings- sorta- u dont want ur house do'g a floater off side of some mountian- see pic of landslide near GH. Especially when earthy do a little shaky quakie thingy.
DisAdv- hill settlements 1. Complicated windy curvy roady's 2. Ditto power feeds and brothers- copper aint cheap these a days. Shi man, 10 yr ago with cheap copper my Latvia house copper feed of 300m copper
was ripped fastern i can spit skoal. Ouch doubble 3x ouch today. U think there no thieves for copper here? I can sell u some ocean front property in Arizona and thow in z London bridge for free.
Summ:
u r most likely stuck with footings unless u own a money printing operation.
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby geordie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:05 am

Freds footings were interesting on a hill ! but still required a lot of Baht chucked at it for piles
Had he built like RR in Bkk =again with the piles
RR could have built a raft because of a level base! Fred,s sandy sloping primarily sand had little option either piles or excavate deep then raft then colums an expensive challenge either way Building on a 500yr old bog (paddy field) can get interesting especially as when the clay over there gets wet it virtually becomes a liquid hence the need for a footing deep enough to hit stable ground with footings it a case of horses for courses if you are building on paddy (cheaper than Pattaya) you are getting a good deal on the land you are getting hopefully a better veiw and the chance of some quiet but it will incur penalty,s in other respects
We looked at some farmland years ago and that was pure sand it had been planted with trees
like a couple of weeks peviously it was expensive but for sale urgently with :arrow: you could take out the trees and build a resort?moo ban with no power and no water dotted amongst the trees
were little outcrops of rock (sandstone) so you can buy dessert as well as paddy :lol:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Previous

Return to cement, concrete and mortar