Can I make Columns on Top of Planks or Not?

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Can I make Columns on Top of Planks or Not?

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:53 am

We need to make columns from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor at the observatory.

We have the concrete slabs on the 1st floor now.

The question is, do we need to lay the concrete first (10cm) then make the columns
OR
Can we make columns now cementing them into the slab and horizontal beams, and then lay the 10cm concrete on top of the slabs?

What is stronger and lasts longer? What is standard?

i would prefer to make columns now as its a dirty job, and dont want my nice concrete floor destroyed by work higher up.

IMG_6599.JPG

Thanks folks....
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Re: Can I make Columns on Top of Planks or Not?

Postby thailazer » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:03 am

Max.. It is common practice in Thailand to do the footings and columns first, working on the dirt of the first floor. Once the columns are up, the builders come in with a bit of gravel, soak and pack that, and then pour the floor on top of that. In your case, you are right in that you should do the columns first before the finish pour on your planks.
thailazer

Postby thailazer » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:05 am

Max... Looking at your photo, there are some planks in the foreground that APPEAR to be barely on the support beam. Have you measured how much overlap that you have there to make sure it is enough?
thailazer

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:53 pm

Max,
If you look at my build you'll see how I did it. You need to pour the slab first, but make sure you have enough rebar to tie into. There should be no mess when you pour the columns if the wooden surrounds are nailed properly and braced.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:57 pm

Max,
From this page onwards viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864&start=465
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Max i will not say Rodger is correct because that would mean agreeing with him but laying the floor first should make no difference whatsoever its actually more common to lay the floor first then the colums
we are playing 1-2 floors think tower block floor-colum every time for safety make sure you have a good length on the rebar out of the floor for your extension up regarding mess pouring colums its a lot less messy on a level stable floor and it washes down afterwards anyway if you are really worried put boards down

Ps best not worry too much about finishing on that floor you are building another floor on it so damage however small will ocur
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Thanks guys, Roger - yes was looking at your picks.

My problem is more a thing of timing/scheduling - we are ready to do columns next Tuesday, I thought get all the hard rebar/concrete columns+beams out the way first before starting on
a nice finished cement floor.

Waiting for PCC and several new planks - some of the planks installed do not cover the beams adequately and I am waiting replacements, perhaps another week or 2 hence the gap in things
to do for the staff.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby geordie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Max if you want you can do the colums first concrete the floor later - no matter other than its easier if you have a solid walkway and you have that (more or less) with the planks you have in place Try and blag it with the planks that are misfires so you keep them for a later project = another raised deck or sala :mrgreen: I am sure you will think of something :roll:
geordie

Postby ducati05 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:51 pm

Hi Guys for what its worth my way of thinking after working on high-rise construction for over 30 yrs and most of it pouring the columes and decks (banksman and crane op) but not an engineer so not a educated answer.. is to always pour the deck 1st, in bigger jobs the floor reo bar runs thru the colume steel and once it is poured the deck is sitting on the columes and being supported.

If the columes are poured 1st the deck only rest up against the sides and not run thru the columes.. if you get my meaning?

I might have read the post wrong but I think thats what Max was asking.. Max still enjoying your build as with all the streads and I am at the moment trying to get your pavers
ordered but they have only half of what I need and with whats going on with the floods it maybe well into next year before its started. At least I'm still dry
and thankful for that.
Cheers D :D
ducati05

Postby ducati05 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:01 am

P.S as Thailazer said make sure you have enough overlap with the starters and columes steel, even stand the colume steel before
you pour the deck just to get that extra 100mm overlap, that was the main reason the freeways colapsed in Japan thru an earthquake
not enough over lap.. Dont mean to worry you but its just an example..... :wink:

Also working on a clean straight floor it will be easier to line up and squire the formwork...
ducati05

Postby geordie » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:57 am

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:
My problem is more a thing of timing/scheduling - we are ready to do columns next Tuesday, I thought get all the hard rebar/concrete columns+beams out the way first before starting on

This is getting lost in translation :mrgreen: cos max is an ossie :lol: :lol: :lol:

Max fit the colums it will make very little difference other than ; from a safe working platform which you have (as long as the planks don,t fall off :D )
geordie

Postby krisb » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:13 am

geordie wrote:
Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:

This is getting lost in translation :mrgreen: cos max is an ossie :lol: :lol: :lol:

Max fit the colums it will make very little difference other than ; from a safe working platform which you have (as long as the planks don,t fall off :D )

Ahh thats Aussie not Ossie. Ossie was an ostrich :D .... its ok I think only an Aussie would get that. :lol:
krisb

Return to cement, concrete and mortar