Finishing Polished Concrete Floors

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Finishing Polished Concrete Floors

Postby thailazer » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:48 am

Wife and I decided on going with a polished concrete look for the entire house per the styles you see in Bann Suan magazine these days. The crew got started doing this type of rendering four days ago and I was surprised to learn it is such hard work. They told us that they would rather be hoisting concrete pails! I gave the steel-troweling a shot and indeed, one really has to use a lot of pressure on the steel trowel to get the concrete smooth. Seems easy at first, but after a few minutes the arm gets tired. I am sure after 8 hours one is pretty sore. When your arm and hand gets tired, the trowel sometimes chatters and makes ripples which take more work to smooth out. Good news is that the work is looking great.

For the floors, I am going to look for a powered steel-trowel to help the crew out. If anyone has any places that rent equipment like this in Chiang Mai, let me know. I've seen them in use so I know the larger construction companies have them.
thailazer

Postby Burkie » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:24 am

Good morning. You will find a large rental place (Puan Chang) ??? on the 1st. ring road on the right hand side of the road going toward Payap University but not quite that far. They have many different tools/stagings etc. for rent.I have used them before. Good luck in your hunt and if you need any directions just pm me.

"Burkie"
Burkie

Postby thailazer » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:10 pm

Thanks Burkie.. Appreciate that. I probably will send you a PM as I am not too familiar with that area.
thailazer

Postby thailazer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:34 am

Regarding sealer, our crew ordered some A100 Acrylic Sealer and did one wall yesterday. Thinned and sprayed on, it looks beautiful and is the same stuff they used on a coffee shop two years ago which is holding up well. Crew actually sanded the whole wall before spraying. If anyone wants, I can post a photo of the can.
thailazer

Postby fredlk » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:52 am

thailazer wrote:Regarding sealer, our crew ordered some A100 Acrylic Sealer and did one wall yesterday. Thinned and sprayed on, it looks beautiful and is the same stuff they used on a coffee shop two years ago which is holding up well. Crew actually sanded the whole wall before spraying. If anyone wants, I can post a photo of the can.

I would prefer it if you posted a photo of the wall.
fredlk

Postby thailazer » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:45 pm

fredlk wrote:
thailazer wrote:Regarding sealer, our crew ordered some A100 Acrylic Sealer and did one wall yesterday. Thinned and sprayed on, it looks beautiful and is the same stuff they used on a coffee shop two years ago which is holding up well. Crew actually sanded the whole wall before spraying. If anyone wants, I can post a photo of the can.

I would prefer it if you posted a photo of the wall.

I will try to shoot a photo tomorrow. Lots of bamboo scaffolding at the moment but I think I can find a place for a photo. We are also having a small problem right now in that the guy spraying it starts out just fine, but once the added solvent starts affecting him he gets it on too thick and it runs a bit. He really should be using a breathing air supply or at the very least a carbon respirator but this is after all Thailand. We told him about this danger but to no avail. A few places will have to be sanded and redone but even with a few runs it looks okay.
thailazer

Postby thailazer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:21 pm

Okay Fred, here are some photos. The crew has worked hard to achieve this and they have done a great job. There are a few places where there are visible crack-like features under the surface and those might be a problem in the future, but overall we are happy with the result. The A100 really gave it a nice look although a bit glossy. Will have to look for a satin version if we have to reapply in the future.

thailazer

Postby fredlk » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:37 pm

thailazer wrote:Okay Fred, here are some photos. The crew has worked hard to achieve this and they have done a great job. There are a few places where there are visible crack-like features under the surface and those might be a problem in the future, but overall we are happy with the result. The A100 really gave it a nice look although a bit glossy.

It does look good if a bit glossy and a bit dark for me. Pity about the cracks and I hope they stay under the surface..
fredlk

Postby thailazer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Polished floors are getting popular. Global House is now selling power trowelers for around 14,000 baht. If any of you shop at Makro in Mae Rim, check out the job they did on the entry way floor. At first glance it is as smooth as granite.
thailazer

Postby MGV12 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:57 pm

thailazer wrote:If any of you shop at Makro in Mae Rim, check out the job they did on the entry way floor. At first glance it is as smooth as granite.

Sure is :)

Power floats can produce fantastic finishes in experienced hands; as RR found.

Having had a go I can confirm it's not as easy as it looks and tiring keeping it on course.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby sirineou » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:15 pm

MGV12 wrote:
thailazer wrote:If any of you shop at Makro in Mae Rim, check out the job they did on the entry way floor. At first glance it is as smooth as granite.

Sure is :)

Power floats can produce fantastic finishes in experienced hands; as RR found.

Having had a go I can confirm it's not as easy as it looks and tiring keeping it on course.

I agree , I have used the hand held ones and they are not easy to use.
Here is one that is a little easier to use, If it had a beer holder it would be perfect. :D
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:14 pm

That video can’t be right you see two hand finishers wearing jeans have tools in their back pocket and yet I see no cracks. :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby thailazer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:34 am

Ride on trowlers, cool! I'd love to try one of those out on the grass. Sure would make the garden area smooth.
thailazer

Previous

Return to cement, concrete and mortar