Finishing Polished Concrete Floors

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Finishing Polished Concrete Floors

Postby thailazer » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:34 pm

My wife and I like the look of polished concrete and I thought I would post some resources on how it is done. You see a lot of upscale houses and coffee shops using them, and Bann Suan Magazine is filled with photos nice smooth concrete. Here are two links:
http://www.concrete.net.au/publications/pdf/Briefing05.pdf
http://www.nrmca.org/aboutconcrete/cips/14p.pdf

You might want to download both and print them off as there is a lot of good information there. We finally have found a builder that has done this on several buildings. The more I get into building in Thailand, the more I am finding that concrete work is an art form if done correctly!

Also.... If anyone know how to best seal a concrete floor, fire away. Beeswax seems to be an odd choice, but apparently it does the job nicely. And if you have any other finishing secrets, post 'em here!
thailazer

Re: Finishing Polished Concrete Floors

Postby Nawty » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:19 pm

Thanks...nice to have the info as we will be doing this on the floor of our house when eventually build it.

As for bees wax....I have a lot, well not a lot, maybe 4 kilo's, but would have thought it not strong enough to walk on ??

Do some research on Tung Oil, it seals porous rocks very well with a nice finish and is natural.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby thailazer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Had not heard of using Tung Oil on concrete but after a few Google searches, I see people do that. Regarding the Beeswax, apparently it burnishes over time and traffic and gives a very worn and shiny look to concrete. Going to have to read up more on the options available. For walls, I see the Thai craftsman using clear laquer, but I wonder how that holds up in the sun?? I know that Super Diamond Clear was formulated to last about 5 years in the sun but I don't believe that is available in Thailand.
thailazer

Postby pattayapope » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:16 pm

I used a stone sealer which is a bit like clear laquer and it works quite good on the carport floor which is a combination of pieces of slate and mortar. It is redily available and about 650 baht a gallon. I will take some pictures and post them up sometime of the product.
pattayapope

Postby geordie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:49 pm

The link posted has locked my computer twice so no third chance the second link worked ok
mica something ? any way you might wanta look at this Nawty has already seen it

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1061&p=6418&hilit=fir+faced+concrete#p6418

but a question nawty i seem to remember you were going to try the tung oil on stone and historically it was used on stone but did you in fact ever try it
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Nawty » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:50 pm

I tried a little section only...when we were treating the stone we did not have enough tung to do it all, so had to commit to something else.

But next time i will defintiely try the tung on walls inside, not sure how good it is outside or on floors though....need to experiment and do more reading I guess.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby geordie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:00 am

Nawty have you used it at all outside to test it for wether resistance ?
I would imagine it should be in it,s element there as its original use was the chinese used it as a presevative on Junks
Back on the subject of polished concrete when i was working we had a machine we used for removing lines from concrete (painted) it looked like a power plane but about twice the size
and it worked by rotating three stone,s underneath grinding away the surface of the concrete
I was never allowed near it (ashma) so did not get a lot of info on it but it did take the surface off quite well
Going a step further you could mix it like grano use different coulors and types of aggregate
to enhance the apearance ? Could make for some interesting counters
geordie

Postby thunder30101 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:01 pm

I wouldnt call it polished concrete, more like the correct way to finish concrete as it is always done back home by trowel or a large gas engine powered trowel. thais are just too lazy to do anything but water the concrete up and let it settle by itself because they are going to put a 4 inch layer of concrete on top of that to level the floor enough to lay the tile. Im guessing the few trowels you see in global for sale have been there for years.
thunder30101

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:43 pm

Thunder,
thunder30101 wrote:thais are just too lazy to do anything but water the concrete up and let it settle by itself

I would suggest you look at my build where we used two, twice. Thais are not too lazy, most have not seen it done that way or have no idea about power floats, so they do it the way they know how. It is not laziness, it's lack of knowledge.
Roger Ramjet

Postby elgato » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:17 pm

Thanks for the links! Now I've got more options to "discuss" with the boss. :wink:
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby pattayapope » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:58 pm

Here are a couple of pictures showing my carport and the stone sealer I used, it was 650 Baht a gallon and seems to go on quite easy. Not sure how well it would stand up to outside weather but think it would require doing once a year or so, in the covered area it seems OK after 18 months.

Stone sealer applied to carport.jpg
Carport with stone sealer on conrete and slate floor

Stone sealer.jpg
Can of stone sealer

As some of the other guys say a wax type product may be better for maintenance in the long term if it is in a more decorative area like a patio or lounge but for me this does the trick to keep the carport dust free and easy to wash down.
pattayapope

Postby geordie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:15 pm

Patayapope you have i think gone for the right option spirit based i use a similar product on pattern printed concrete its petrochemical Xilene based but it has to be for to make it resistant to oil a wax based product on a driveway carport or even a kitchen could be destroyed by spills and leaks
On the other hand i am not sure i would paint that stuff on a worktop :?

I do my drive every couple of years and hate the semi gloss look it give,s but a couple of months and its matt again The funniest effect is after rain the footpath around the garden is wet the patio and driveway dry out in 20 mins :)
geordie

Postby thailazer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:13 pm

It won't be but a few months and we will be trying to figure out what kind of sealer to use on our polished walls and floors. So.... I am bumping up this topic in case anyone has found any miracle stuff to use. We stopped at one place being sealed and they were just using cabinet laquer with thinner. Looking at the can, it looked like interior cabinet grade stuff so I don't think that is going to last long. Appreciate the prior suggestions and am still looking for more ideas.

If you have found any good sealers for polished concrete, post away please.
thailazer

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:50 pm

thailazer,
Try Beger, I've used it to seal a lot of things. Here's their website: http://www.beger.co.th/
Roger Ramjet

Postby thailazer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:07 pm

Roger.... I've used Beger products and agree they make good stuff. Not sure which one of their products would be the best to use to clear-seal concrete. I checked out that link and sent them a message so will see if they respond. I'll check the products out at HomePro soon. Thanks for that idea....
thailazer

Next

Return to cement, concrete and mortar