K Blocks

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

K Blocks

Postby udon74 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:50 am

I spotted these K blocks at a builders merchants the other day. Has anyone used them before? I can't find much feedback about them on the net.

They look strong and easy to use. They claim they don't suck up water like Qcon blocks and have good thermal and sound proofing properties.The only downside is they're 22 baht per block so slightly more that the Qcon for the same size block, however saying you don't need special adhesive so you save money that way.

As far as I can see these K blocks are just another lightweight concrete blocks but with a different name so probably not much different from others on the market e.g. C-Lite, D-Con etc. I'm wondering if there would be any advantages/disadvantages using these over Q-Con blocks.
udon74

Re: K Blocks

Postby MGV12 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:37 am

udon74 wrote:I spotted these K blocks at a builders merchants the other day. Has anyone used them before? I can't find much feedback about them on the net.

They look strong and easy to use. They claim they don't suck up water like Qcon blocks and have good thermal and sound proofing properties.The only downside is they're 22 baht per block so slightly more that the Qcon for the same size block, however saying you don't need special adhesive so you save money that way.

As far as I can see these K blocks are just another lightweight concrete blocks but with a different name so probably not much different from others on the market e.g. C-Lite, D-Con etc. I'm wondering if there would be any advantages/disadvantages using these over Q-Con blocks.

Not seen them for sale anywhere up Chiang Mai way. When you say builders merchant, was it a small place or part of a chain/franchise? Just wondering if they might be locked into a supply chain; as establishing the manufacturer would be helpful. I don't recall seeing any mention of them on CTH before.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby udon74 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:29 pm

MGV12 wrote:When you say builders merchant, was it a small place or part of a chain/franchise? Just wondering if they might be locked into a supply chain; as establishing the manufacturer would be helpful.

I believe it's a private business that manufactures various types of concrete products, I was looking for something else at the time and spotted them on display. They gave me a brochure to have a look at. The companies name is U Charoen Concrete located near the airport on Udon's ring-road. The actual manufacturer listed on the brochure is Phoenix SDS Company.
udon74

Postby geordie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:54 pm

on a previous link !! these blocks are manufactured under license phonix are selling franchises that could leave you with a high spec block and sub standard manufacture
If the advantage claimed is using mortar instead of glue there is no advantage i have just done a small job for the first time with glue ? and it was great mixed in a bucket so no cement mixer ! no large pile of sand so storage delivery and handling were all easier and to add to that it was so quick to lay with the glue i find myself wishing i had become a convert years ago even the brickies favorite of not covering the end of the block was abandoned all ends got a more than adequate coating across the whole face ?? Trying to prise loose a couple of blocks to lower the height of a window resuted in broken blocks !! not so with a mortar bed the blocks would have came out easily
There are other cheaper AAC blocks who have a proven track record i would personally stick with them especially as the altenative is in the hands of a small company that could be inclined to corner cut accidently or deliberately and adding insult to injury they are more expensive
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby udon74 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:49 pm

Thanks for your reply Geordie, you've raised some valid points.

To me the cement blocks look stronger but I'm no expert, they also say they don't soak up the water so much.

Anyway you've swayed me towards the AAC blocks unless someone can convince me otherwise. :D
udon74

Postby geordie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm

To be honest i am a stick in the mud from a bygone era I was asked why i was packing slate under a lintel by a building inspector ? My reply was they have done it that way for hundreds of years and it works
The k blocks may be a revolution but to get into the market they have to prove an advantage they don,t either on function or price in the 60,s late 70,s we had a revelution high alumina cement it was hailed as a miracle you could cast your beams and overnight they reached full strength Unfortunately ten years later the beam were brittle and a lot of public buildings were demolished as well as social housing where it had been used profusely
Most new stuff is derived from old and cleverly marketed with claims you cannot easily disprove our blocks have more bubbles ?
The company selling the solution for making the bubbles and acompanied paraphenalia are interested in the money now in ten years time when the faults start to appear do you think they will offer compensation ? unlikely
so better to stick with proven stuff unless they can make it so cheap its impossible to resist or of course there is no alternative I:E you live too far from an alternative supplier
geordie

Postby gliffaes » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:36 pm

geordie wrote:on a previous link !! these blocks are manufactured under license phonix are selling franchises that could leave you with a high spec block and sub standard manufacture
If the advantage claimed is using mortar instead of glue there is no advantage i have just done a small job for the first time with glue ? and it was great mixed in a bucket so no cement mixer ! no large pile of sand so storage delivery and handling were all easier and to add to that it was so quick to lay with the glue i find myself wishing i had become a convert years ago even the brickies favorite of not covering the end of the block was abandoned all ends got a more than adequate coating across the whole face ?? Trying to prise loose a couple of blocks to lower the height of a window resuted in broken blocks !! not so with a mortar bed the blocks would have came out easily
There are other cheaper AAC blocks who have a proven track record i would personally stick with them especially as the altenative is in the hands of a small company that could be inclined to corner cut accidently or deliberately and adding insult to injury they are more expensive

But Geordie isnt the point of the mortar bed to be weaker than the block its holding together for the sake of possible cracking later??
gliffaes

Postby geordie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:47 am

not since the days of yellow stocks and london reds with stepped footings straight off the clay where the mortar was mixed with lime to allow the buildings to flex
These days concrete is readily available as is rebar to put in a decent foundation so its not a requirement to have weak mortar
But lime mortar is the reason why you see the old wonky cottages and hundreds of houses around with visible settlement twisted rather than broken another saving grace was the use of wooden lintels along the inside walls
to keep the walls straight a 4x2 replacing a course of bricks over time the timber would simply bend/flex with the downward pressure of the building
Nowadays if there is movement you get a dirty great crack instead !

For info a stepped footing is created by digging down depth to suit the site
3 to 4 bricks end to end across the trench layed on a bed of sand/lime mortar then the next course lays the oposite way to form a bond every couple of courses the width (3 to 4 ) bricks would be reduced by half a brick 1/4 each side of the wall untill you reached the desired thickness of the main house wall this sort of footing was quite common around the london area there are still a lot of houses with it including some scaled up versions
on the old mansion houses wher the ground floor walls and a few floors upwards could well be a couple of feet thick 6-7-8 floors sitting directly on clay
this carried on untill you got the thickness down to that of the wall
geordie

Return to cement, concrete and mortar