House Design and Column Layout

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

House Design and Column Layout

Postby Strange » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:29 pm

Ok guys im in the process of drawing the house I want to try to build. I have 1 question though,

I have a few spaces in the house that I want to build that are pretty open. Like the Kitchen/Living room/Office are all open area. Whats the Maximum distance from column to column that I can use so I dont have columns in the middle of my living room? Im worried about roofing support and whatnot.
Strange
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: House Design and Column Layout

Postby geordie » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:35 pm

usually they build on a 4mtr grid but larger can be achieved with the use of trusses to span the larger gap or an engineering solution to beef up the beams and colums you shoul also google search hollow core floors again you can mke longer spans
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
User avatar
geordie
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:39 am

Re: House Design and Column Layout

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:21 pm

Here is the web site for information on Solid and hollow core planks and slabs.

http://pccnew.pcc-concrete.co.th/index.php/en

This will cover your flooring spans but if using steel for the roof an engineer should be employed.

There is normally one in the planing office where you will be building. Talk to him as this service should be free of charge.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: House Design and Column Layout

Postby Strange » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:17 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Here is the web site for information on Solid and hollow core planks and slabs.

http://pccnew.pcc-concrete.co.th/index.php/en

This will cover your flooring spans but if using steel for the roof an engineer should be employed.

There is normally one in the planing office where you will be building. Talk to him as this service should be free of charge.


Is the planning office the same office that the land transfer is done?

And finally I can go ahead and layout everything that I want, and the local enginner will be competent to suggest/design the roof truss system?
Strange
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: House Design and Column Layout

Postby Strange » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:20 pm

geordie wrote:usually they build on a 4mtr grid but larger can be achieved with the use of trusses to span the larger gap or an engineering solution to beef up the beams and colums you shoul also google search hollow core floors again you can mke longer spans


Im building a single level home, and the hollow core flooring is for multiple level homes?
Strange
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: House Design and Column Layout

Postby geordie » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:40 pm

Strange wrote:
Im building a single level home, and the hollow core flooring is for multiple level homes?


agreed usually it is but depends on whether you are building above ground or on it sometimes if you are building high to avoid the risk of flooding you will use pan pneum solid floor planks with concrete on top or if you want hollow core and tile over with just the cement bed however single story you just need to attend to truss designs for larger spans and make an early decision what you will be using as roofing (weight)
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
User avatar
geordie
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:39 am

Re: House Design and Column Layout

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:17 am

Strange wrote:Is the planning office the same office that the land transfer is done?

And finally I can go ahead and layout everything that I want, and the local enginner will be competent to suggest/design the roof truss system?


Each district would be different and I can only comment on Mae Taeng in the province of Chang Mai. There the planing department is at the back of the town hall. The government has many plans available, possibly looking at them would be helpful. A phone call to your town hall should sort this out. Now building in an undeveloped area is a completely different thing.

If you build on one floor, as geordie has all ready commented, four meter grids and solid concrete planks work well. Just take what you have to the planing department and see what they have to say.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: House Design and Column Layout

Postby Strange » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:24 pm

Ok guys thanks. I will go ahead and finish design and take it to an engineer. I dont think I will have any problem really cause I plan to build on a single level and use synthetic roof tiles... Im a welder by trade and I feel confident that I can look at something and see where it will be structurally weak.
Strange
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: House Design and Column Layout

Postby thailazer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:09 pm

BKKBILL wrote:
Strange wrote:Is the planning office the same office that the land transfer is done?

And finally I can go ahead and layout everything that I want, and the local enginner will be competent to suggest/design the roof truss system?


Each district would be different and I can only comment on Mae Taeng in the province of Chang Mai.......



BKKBill: Tried to send you a PM but I don't think I have enough posts. We are also building in Mae Taeng, and have had very good experiences with the Land Office and with the Arbotor draftsman and engineer. Getting back to those concrete floor planks, did you use them and where did you go to get them? There are several sources up there all with varying levels of quality/service from what I can see. All help appreciated.
thailazer
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:55 am


Return to cement, concrete and mortar

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest