Time for the forms to be on ?

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Time for the forms to be on ?

Postby Sunpax » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:05 am

How long follow your experience must we let the form on the pilars ?

And how long must the ciment dry ? my architect say to me around 3 weeks ? is it not a lillte to long ?
Sunpax

Re: Time for the forms to be on ?

Postby fredlk » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:09 am

Sunpax wrote:How long follow your experience must we let the form on the pilars ?
And how long must the ciment dry ? my architect say to me around 3 weeks ? is it not a lillte to long ?

I think 21 days is what my builder said as well.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:48 pm

It will depend on when you are going to pour the beams. The formwork can come off after 1 day, 2 days if you want to be really safe. If you are going to link into them with rebar for the beams then they should be allowed to cure for at least 7 days. They should be wrapped in hessian and kept wet. It will of course depend on the concrete mix.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sunpax » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:45 pm

Yes I mean..the first story pilar ! we have take it off the forms after 2 days only...

Then they will link them to the second structure beams....

one hour ago I 'v been on my site and despite that i tell them this morning to wrap the pilar ..nothing was done ...now i am in hurry that they don't do ...

is it very bad if the pilar are not wrap for one day :( and if i do that tomorow in case ?
Sunpax

Postby MGV12 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Sunpax wrote:Yes I mean..the first story pilar ! we have take it off the forms after 2 days only...

Then they will link them to the second structure beams....

one hour ago I 'v been on my site and despite that i tell them this morning to wrap the pilar ..nothing was done ...now i am in hurry that they don't do ...

is it very bad if the pilar are not wrap for one day :( and if i do that tomorow in case ?

Don't worry too much Sunpax as one day will not cause a big problem ... as only the surface layer will dry out ... but the sooner they are wrapped the better. Get them to wet them down thoroughly before the cover is applied. Most contractors here use the plastic film available cheaply on a roll in most materials shops ... Roger Ramjet is following 'best practice' but the hessian is not so easy to find. The purpose is to retain a high water content in the concrete ... thus ensuring a more effective curing process. As has been explained a number of times in other threads the process of the concrete curing [hardening] is a chemical one and the catalyst to that process occuring is the water. As RR mentioned ... it cures ... drying has nothing to do with it once the initial cure is complete and that varies according to the mix/density/thickness etc. The longer you keep them wrapped the stronger the concrete will be but builders are usually in a hurry to get on and don't much care about ... or more to the point understand ... the curing process.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Sunpax » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:22 pm

thancks..yes I mean curing...but you know that I don't speak English well...and that is difficult for me to say clearly what I mean !

I was there for the third time today...to see they was stopping work at 5 without to do anything to the pilars ! I was really not happy and despite a call phone to my super builder...they was leaving and let me with my rage and frustation...lool

So i take myself water and have beging to put on...following by my 2 night guardians...at who i ask to do again 4 hours later.. I doubt they will do but ...

So it is..!...tomorow i am going to find something to put around...sure in my village i will not find any hessian (i know what it is..my bank long time ago... has gave me a very old hessian bag ! but empty :(
Sunpax

Return to cement, concrete and mortar