Air vents on outside walls!

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Air vents on outside walls!

Postby marko » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:36 pm

Our build is slowly getting underway and we've been looking at a few other houses that have recently been built using the same builders and similar building techniques...

28thapril_small.jpg

It seems that the house is being raised and there will be a considerable hole under there. (I had assumed that the whole house would be resting on a bed of concrete!)

One of the houses has small vents on all the external walls making a total of four. I have walked around a house without the vents and haven't felt the heat in my bare feet.

My question is - what is the value of these wall vents and should I consider getting the same thing done to my house?

Cheers,

Marko
marko

Re: Air vents on outside walls!

Postby fredlk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:44 pm

marko wrote:what is the value of these wall vents and should I consider getting the same thing done to my house?

My layman's opinion is that they are there to reduce the build up of moisture, not heat. If anything the ground is cooler than the building above it.
fredlk

Postby Ians » Mon May 02, 2011 1:54 pm

For my current build which is only just at the stage of the ground beams being formed up and hopefully filled with concrete this week, I have elected to put 4" PVC thru' the sides and rear perimeter beams, 8 places, and thru all internal "beams" so all compartments are inter-connected. My reasoning is to get some air circulation under the building as was the practice in the old days in Aust. for suspended floors in an effort to try and keep the under-floor space as dry as possible. I know I know - many will say it's not needed with suspended concrete slab floors - but I don't see any harm in doing it.
I will post photo's later when the beams have been cast and formwork removed.
Ians

Postby geordie » Tue May 03, 2011 3:05 am

Ians wrote:For my current build which is only just at the stage of the ground beams being formed up and hopefully filled with concrete this week, I have elected to put 4" PVC thru' the sides and rear perimeter beams, 8 places, and thru all internal "beams" so all compartments are inter-connected. My reasoning is to get some air circulation under the building as was the practice in the old days in Aust. for suspended floors in an effort to try and keep the under-floor space as dry as possible. I know I know - many will say it's not needed with suspended concrete slab floors - but I don't see any harm in doing it.
I will post photo's later when the beams have been cast and formwork removed.

Ok let us hear that statement repeated when you realize the amount of vermin that will love that dry space and call it home 8)
I would sugest strongly stainless steel mozi mesh and check it for rodent damage regular rats can chew through most things

A good contingency plan is a hosepipe from the car exhaust and gas it regularly :lol: :lol:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Ians » Tue May 03, 2011 10:00 am

The inlets will be screened to keep out the "larger critters" ie, rats, cats, snakes,and dogs.
But the hose connected to the car exhaust sounds like a good alternative to the anti-termite system being installed.
Ians

Return to cement, concrete and mortar