thaicon blocks

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: thaicon blocks

Postby smeestu » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:23 pm

geordie wrote:Go to the store and demand contact details for the owner see if the manager sqirms at the prospect of unemployment

Option two go to the manufacturer and see if they really are making selling delivering sub standard material

Failing that it going to have to be rent a truck and driver and see where you can collect from
being selective about which one,s you load may cause problems but you have to try something

i am guessing the think if they ignore you the problem will go away not really feasable untill you finish building

Thanks for your advice off to udon i go 2mrw see if i can speak with the manager ill take some photos with me showing the quality of there delivery and see if i can get the owners details got his name from the bank account transfers .Your right i just cant leave it got to get enough blocks to finish the job after speaking to Thaicon again today they said that they have strict quality control when they leave there yard and they wouldnt be in that condition which is the opposite to what the last person i spoke to from Thaicon said same same but different :-) as always all sent to try us eh
smeestu

Postby geordie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:46 pm

good luck tommorow with the manager be prepared to order the balance there and then insist you supervise or he supervises the loading as he is about to lose face with the manufacturer

You could threaten thaicon? with you intend to start a blog condemming their product so when someone googles thaicon blocks they get pictures of the crap you had delivered

Include the threat to the store you will start a blog condemming the goods they supplied and the lack of effort to resolve it

Another tack would be a calm and friendly aproach to the manager how you understand its not his fault but the failings of the idiots in the loading bay You understand how demanding running a store that size can be and he could not possibly be aware of everything happening on a day to day basis

you are sure his staff are deliberately not telling him about the problems you are having in fact they are conspiring to make him lose face as he is the boss they are not keeping him informed
Whatever else stay calm smile a lot and convince him he is a powerful man and can easilly resolve the problm and help his store do more buisness with you and other farrangs
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby geordie » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:15 pm

Any update yet or still not resolved
geordie

Postby smeestu » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:10 pm

geordie wrote:Any update yet or still not resolved

Just a Update went to the store tuesday no one would speak to me the manager is not here the owner is not here and then they just walked away and disappeared to hide somewhere thinking i would just go away .

So i looked around the shop until i seen what looked like the office part walked through the double doors then looked in every office untill i found the managing director a <edit - personal information removed> after a couple of hours of basically not moving they agreed to deliver some more blocks without me paying 100% up front BUT
the price has gone up from 37 bht for 15cm to 44bht and the 20cm from 53bht to 58bht the robbing b@@@@@@s but what can i do i need the last 600 blocks and theres no one else to supply them anywhere near me i told them that this was a sharp practice and got the standard "up to you" if you want them

so with some more haggling over delivery its going to cost me a extra 3500bht for the same blocks i ordered in the first place .

not sure if its allowed but if anyone else has problems with Tool Pro in Udon Thani the managing director is called <edit - personal information removed please contact smeetsu directly for more information> while he might not be very helpful im sure he will get bored of people complaining to him directly hope this will be helpful to someone
:evil:
smeestu

Postby geordie » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:50 pm

Well at least you can now finish the project and the extra £70 means little on the overall budget its the principal more than anything i am sure a bit of bad advertising will do them no good i have known people to put a notice in the car in brief letting people know they are dealing with thieves and parking at every oportunity near the offending store it usually does not take long but if you have the time pursue it and see if they will relent and give back what they stole another option would be order some stuff up and send half back as wrong tell them you are more than happy to pay c o d and just send it back :twisted: :twisted:
By the way a couple of weeks ago there was an anouncement that material prices were about to leap maybe the hike was due to that :?:
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:33 am

smeestu,
I don't know how angry you really are, but I would be seething and I would be after blood no matter the cost, and blood is not hard to extract as long as you have the brains, paperwork and evidence. Now strange as it may seem Thailand does have a Consumer Protection Act and a Consumer Protection Board. Here's The Act : http://www.thailawonline.com/images/doc ... rticle.pdf and here's the Board : http://www.ocpb.go.th/ (I'm sorry it's in Thai, but blood always has a price to it whether it be in time, money or inconvenience).
I would start by making 20 photocopies of the original documents (don't forget to sign them all and enclose a copy of your passport and visa, also signed, with all correspondence. When and if you write a letter to firstly, the Consumer Protection Board expressing your anger, make sure it's both in Thai and English. When you send out that copy, make sure the companies involved also get the exact same letter with a cover note and make sure they, both parties are also told exactly what you want in restitution/retribution. EG. I want the broken blocks replaced, I want the extra money spent returned and I demand an open letter of apology.
Just to make sure they understand you are serious send all the letters by EMS (they must sign for the letter). When you have done this wait for 10 days, then post the letters on the nearest power pole to the store (perfectly legal). If, after another 14 days you have received no reply (you should have), then you resend all the letters again, but this time to the Thai Ombudsman : http://www.ombudsman.go.th/10/eng/index1.html, with of course the original copies of all correspondence to the various people involved and don't forget to post it on the power pole as well.
Trust me, you will receive action, but be ready to compromise. Any victory, no matter how small is a massive victory. Go for it.
Roger Ramjet

Postby dozer » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:52 pm

Consumer Protection Act and a Consumer Protection Board
They also have a free legal service with qualified lawyers (kind of like small claims court), have used it and did get results.... was extremely impressed.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby smeestu » Mon May 09, 2011 7:04 am

The last update in this story the blocks turned up on the 7th in the same sort of condition as the others but they had put some spares on (5 blocks ) to swap out any damaged ones (which there were a lot again) so i said to the driver leave the 5 spares and ill take the rest as they are he phoned the office and spoke to his boss they said no cant do anything and if you dont take them all never order anything from us again .

I tried to phone the managing director no reply i must admit by now i was pretty p@@@@d off so i unstacked the blocks myself and took 45 of the most damaged blocks out and said to the driver you can put those back on the truck as i wont be paying for them ( which he did i felt a bit sorry for the driver he was only doing his job)

i worked out the difference of the outstanding money and paid him .

At which point the managing direct his boss everyone started to phone me . The managing director saying yes you can have the 5 blocks now to which i replied too late ive sorted through them myself you can have the worst ones back and informed him that maybe he should speak with his staff about trying to bully there costumers into excepting sub standard orders ( they thought i needed another truck load of blocks )

Anyways not the best outcome but i have enough blocks to finish the house and wont be buying anything else from Tool Pro Udon Thani
smeestu

Thickness Q-con

Postby fredbkk » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:55 pm

Hello, i plan to build my house, one floor 160sqm2, the workers want to build the wall with only Q-con with thickness 7,5cm do you think is enough ? Strong and insulation enough ?

Thanks a lot for your advice :)
fredbkk

Postby geordie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:24 am

no it would be a security risk you could almost walk through it ?
The thicker blocks are better for a single skin and will also work better from an insulation point of veiw i assume you are talking concrete frame construction !! where the walls are purely screens and not structurally loaded? But for the extra expennse of the blocks you will gain so little in the way of insulation you may as well use the thai concrete blocks
geordie

Postby fredbkk » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:42 am

geordie wrote:no it would be a security risk you could almost walk through it ?
The thicker blocks are better for a single skin and will also work better from an insulation point of veiw i assume you are talking concrete frame construction !! where the walls are purely screens and not structurally loaded? But for the extra expennse of the blocks you will gain so little in the way of insulation you may as well use the thai concrete blocks

Hi Geordie, sorry i want to be sure to understand, about the wall without structure loaded you advice me to not use Q-con 7,5 thickness, it's better thai concrete block ?
fredbkk

Postby fredbkk » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:34 am

I spoke about the exterior wall. Do i need 2 skin or one is enough ? Thanks
fredbkk

Postby geordie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:39 am

fredbkk wrote:
geordie wrote:no it would be a security risk you could almost walk through it ?

Hi Geordie, sorry i want to be sure to understand, about the wall without structure loaded you advice me to not use Q-con 7,5 thickness, it's better thai concrete block ?

I think you can find the answers on the other thread but the benifits of 7.5 qcon,s is in my opinion so minimal use thai concrete its cheaper the security issue is that you are talking about a wall 3" thick so not really that strong the Thai concrete would be cheaper and almost as good (my opinion) but with the concrete you will get better sound insulation as well another plus if you are using the concrete you have rebars every couple of courses into the colums as oposed to a small angled plate and with the concrete if security is an issue simply
add chicken wire to the render its definately going to increase the strength and will take a more prolonged attack you could i suppose add that to the special render as well to acheive the same with the qcon but with render its usually a thicker coating so easier

fredbkk wrote:I spoke about the exterior wall. Do i need 2 skin or one is enough ? Thanks

It has been used 7.5 single skin but its a personal choice and you have to weigh the benifits
the blocks do have good insulation properties but thicker is better like any insulation
geordie

Previous

Return to cement, concrete and mortar