thaicon blocks

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

thaicon blocks

Postby smeestu » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:25 pm

Just had the first batch of 2000 15cm thaicon blocks delivered from udon (toolpro) and they look to me like a miss match off spares lots of broken corners etc when i phoned up to ask why they were in such rough condition i was told that they are all like that all deliveries so i was given a number for thaicon themseleves and they said they always get damaged in transit just fill the corners in with cement ? :evil: my question is has anyone else had thaicon/qcon etc delivered in such poor condition is this standard in thailand i think im being fed a line myself and am tempted to cancel the order all together
thanks for any replies
Attachments
IMAG0319.jpg
IMAG0318.jpg
IMAG0315.jpg
smeestu

Re: thaicon blocks

Postby geordie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:36 pm

Firsly yes you can fill the corners no problem and its true the corners do get knocked off in transit however the lot you have look like they have been stacked and restacked then rebanded for delivery
I would insist they replace them they look second hand left over from a build
that said by the time they get laid a few corners will be missing anyway so the decision is yours
i would have returned them on the truck they arrived on you could stack the cornerless ones seperate and make an issue or bite the bullet this time but next batch make damm sure full blocks of only minor damaged come off the truck
possibly its lack of mechanical handling thats responsible (stacked off and on to trucks by hand )
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby MGV12 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:20 pm

geordie wrote:Firsly yes you can fill the corners no problem and its true the corners do get knocked off in transit however the lot you have look like they have been stacked and restacked then rebanded for delivery
I would insist they replace them they look second hand left over from a build
that said by the time they get laid a few corners will be missing anyway so the decision is yours
i would have returned them on the truck they arrived on you could stack the cornerless ones seperate and make an issue or bite the bullet this time but next batch make damm sure full blocks of only minor damaged come off the truck
possibly its lack of mechanical handling thats responsible (stacked off and on to trucks by hand )

Agree with geordie ... this is certainly not the way they come from the factory. From a factory delivery they will be neatly stacked and you may get the odd chipped corner but not within the stack as here. These have been re-stacked and may well be a return.

If it's only part of your order and you haven't paid yet then tell them to take them back or give you a significant discount for a sub-standard delivery ... and ensure they know that another delivery like that will be rejected.

If it's the whole order and you have paid you have learnt a lesson for next time ... the school of hard knocks that everyone who builds here gets to attend at some time.

Why 15cm?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby smeestu » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:31 pm

thanks for your replies this i the first truck load of 4 i have told them that they are sub standard and that i will not accept the full order like this , i thought the same ,the blocks have obviously been re-stacked all the other pallets i have seen the thaicon stamp is at one end and they are all tidy on the pallet . I have only paid a deposit but quite a big one so i have started to sort through them and the good ones ill keep and the bad ones they can replace or i wont be paying for them its been a hard week this week had a load of what were supposed to be cpac concrete floor slabs were delivered as well which were so poorly made (not by cpac) that the 2m ones couldn't support the weight of a person let alone a poured floor (didnt bother to try the 4m ones) so they went straight back ill let you know how i get on with these blocks anyways
smeestu

Postby splitlid » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:10 pm

if they dont take them back, then use the damaged ones as cuts. you will definately use them up that way.
splitlid

Postby smeestu » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:11 pm

As for buying 15cm ones got a bit of a mix the main house is being done sort of thai style with with 15cm concrete pillars didnt want the cheap thai blocks at 7.5cm and with these you wont be able to see the pillars in the walls (15cm pillars) plus they seem to be much better for insulation also a small part of the house is 2 storey so the first storey part of that i am using 20cm blocks as the pillars are 20cm there hopefully should workout ok :-)
smeestu

Postby smeestu » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:12 am

just a update for anyone considering buying Thaicon blocks i got in contact with the main company and emailed them the pictures of the blocks they CONFIRMED that these had come direct from there factory like this and i was told just to put more "chap" to cover the missing corners i told them that they were not up to standard and was told there was nothing they could do .Luckily i had more blocks (after a second delivery) than my deposit so i sorted through the badly damaged ones and told them i wouldnt be paying for them Tool pro is not happy but between tool pro and thaicon can not get the real truth about these "B" Grade blocks i still need some more to complete my build but to be honest dont really feel like dealing with either Tool pro Udon Thani or Thaicon bangkok so please be warned
smeestu

Postby thunder30101 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:54 pm

I was in global house browsing the other day and saw they had some new blocks with a TCI stamp on them, they looked like they had been hand poured the quality was so bad and they were only 17 baht compared to the nice crisp white 19 baht ones they usually carry. Prob okay for building but why such bad quality I wonder ?? I also have some concerns about asbestos maybe being in some of the concrete products here. Thailand still does use alot of it in their products.
thunder30101

Postby geordie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:24 am

MGV12 used these blocks max used them and trey used them to mention but a few were they
a different brand or something
Definately strange goings on with them turning up cornerless
smeetsu have your delivery,s improved at all quality wise or still sub standard what sort of percentage do you have to return
geordie

Postby smeestu » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:27 pm

I ended up sorting through and grading the blocks myself
A Grade no damage or very minor damage just the edge of the corner (out of the 900 i would say about 500 of them are 100%)
B Grade use for cuts with under 5cm of damage to one end 220
C Grade damage to one end over 5cm broken off and damage to both ends 112

so as you can see pretty poor quality overall

The c grades were not paid for and they picked them up with the third delivery but at this point Tool Pro said that they would not deliver any more blocks unless i paid 100% up front which i refused as i didn't trust them not to send me a load of rubbish again so at the moment im stuck as i need more blocks to finish the job dont really want to mix two different brands together . I might end up going back to Tool Pros yard in Udon Thani watch them load the truck and pay for them then as i dont really know what other choice i have ,Thai Con themselves have been less than helpfull but wont be using Thai con blocks again after this thats for sure

just for the record the 15cm blocks were 37 bht each and the 20 cm blocks were 54 bht each plus 2400 bht per truck load for delivery from udon ( would of been a total of 5 truck loads ) so a reasonable sized order but yet again no sort of costumer service which i seem to be getting used to over here :-(
smeestu

Postby MGV12 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:41 pm

smeetsu ... think your option of watching them load and then paying is the best you have considering your circumstances.

Hope it works out

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby geordie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:17 am

I have to agree with mgv12 take an umbrella and a chair maybe even a couple of beers watch them load every block some little knock are alowable and some will be damaged in transit
but you got the rubbish they had left over by the look of it
i would bet the owner / manager will be at you side watching how they handle them
geordie

Postby smeestu » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:31 pm

Thanks for you advice i think thats the best route for this just glad i didn't put down a big deposit on them when ever i buy stuff here i try to put down the smallest amount possible just in case .
Doesn't seem like a lot of the thai companies have grasped customer service,repeat costumers or recommendations by word of mouth still its all a learning curve out here building thats for sure.
I have taken loads of photos and when i some spare time I will upload are progress but at the moment i am pretty much doing everything making sure they follow the plans,sourcing all the materials ,quality control,labourer, and general run around so not a lot of spare time.

Done a few house renovations back in the UK but this is a bit more evolved for sure :-)
smeestu

Postby smeestu » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:25 pm

geordie wrote:I have to agree with mgv12 take an umbrella and a chair maybe even a couple of beers watch them load every block some little knock are alowable and some will be damaged in transit
but you got the rubbish they had left over by the look of it
i would bet the owner / manager will be at you side watching how they handle them

Just another update now tool pro i refusing to return my calls saying they will get someone to call me back but no one ever does , So tried thaicon in bangkok and they told me i can only deal with Toolpro Udon they cant help me get some delivered from a different company oh joy anyone got any ideas ?
smeestu

Postby geordie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:10 pm

Go to the store and demand contact details for the owner see if the manager sqirms at the prospect of unemployment

Option two go to the manufacturer and see if they really are making selling delivering sub standard material

Failing that it going to have to be rent a truck and driver and see where you can collect from
being selective about which one,s you load may cause problems but you have to try something

i am guessing the think if they ignore you the problem will go away not really feasable untill you finish building
geordie

Next

Return to cement, concrete and mortar