whats better? Pour CPAC Floor or Concrete Prefab Sheets

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: whats better? Pour CPAC Floor or Concrete Prefab Sheets

Postby nanbuilder » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:20 am

fredlk wrote:
nanbuilder wrote:I saw in an earlier post a giant crane being used to drop the slabs in place. Any ideas of rental costs per day for such a crane

The slabs for my house were delivered in a truck which had its own crane fitted and from the truck the slabs were unloaded and manoeuvred into place. No extra charge.

This is great advice and I have now found the supplier who can get down my narrow access lane. My builder has also reassured me that if necessary he will bring enough labour to man-handle the slabs as they are only 4m max on my build. Many thanks - I was worried about a crane for my main build - now no longer.
nanbuilder

Postby otis-a » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:41 pm

5x5 slab v 4x4m planks was = cost
opted 5x5 slab for my case
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby sr007au » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:06 pm

Hi everyone.

Been lurking on here for a while now getting some ideas for a small 9 pole "granny flat" holiday home to be built up near Surin.

Looking at 8m x 8m total size with the poles spaced at 4m each.

I wanted to include a single garage inside the home to lock the car and bikes away while we are living in Oz, and use it as living space while we are there.

The question is, can I use precast concrete planks with say a 5cm ??? concrete pour over the top, and still safely park the car in the house, or will I come home to find the car sunk in a huge hole ? Do I need extra ground beams ?

Or just pour a concrete slab after filling the ground beams up with soil or sand or ???

What would be the most cost effective ?

Advice appreciated

sr007au

Postby geordie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:07 pm

If you are not raising the floors a couple of feet ?? just fill with dirt and pour is usually a lot easier don,t forget to add some mesh and a plastic film will do wonders it stops the "fat " running out of the concrete and stops damp coming up through it personally i would thicken the garage floor a little :roll: but i do love thick concrete
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby sirineou » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:34 pm

I echo Geordie's sentiment
unless you want a cavity under your floor, the strongest and most cost effective way to do it would be the pour method.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby sr007au » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:12 am

Thanks for the advice.

I prefer the idea of a compacted base with a slab poured on top, with a bit of extra steel for piece of mind.

Do the local Thai builders up country normally use plastic under the mesh or will this be a strange request ?
sr007au

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:48 am

sr007au,
sr007au wrote:Do the local Thai builders up country normally use plastic under the mesh or will this be a strange request ?

Even in Bangkok they would stare at you and mutter "farang farang farang" with a few unsavoury adjectives added for emphasis. And the second problem is finding the plastic. I bought one black role which the workers tried to use as a sun shade and were very nonplussed when they found it was for the garage floor. The best place to look for it is at the garden shops. And stick to your guns...and good luck.
Roger Ramjet

Postby jazzman » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:12 pm

For car-bearing concrete and driveways, I usually lay a 15cm thick concrete floor. Plastic sheeting of course on sand/dirt filled cavity for the reasons stated by Geordie. Rebar DB-12 @ 1m grid, with the standard wire mesh on top. RB-9 bar-chairs to ensure that the rebar stays in the middle of the cast.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby sr007au » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:48 am

Thanks for the info Jazzman.

I'm using your motel build as a reference for my project. I've been doing my spreadsheet with information gathered from yours and other forum members posts.

We'll only be there maybe 5 to 10 days a year, but its for the wife. Land is in the backyard of her parents which we've already had leveled and fenced.
We just want to build a granny flat that acts as a hotel room basically.

Jazzman, did you ever post photos of your finished motel build ? I've not seen any finished shots.
sr007au

Postby jazzman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:55 am

No, I don't recall having posted any photos of the finished motel.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Previous

Return to cement, concrete and mortar