whats better? Pour CPAC Floor or Concrete Prefab Sheets

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: whats better? Pour CPAC Floor or Concrete Prefab Sheets

Postby jazzman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:21 pm

The slabs are 5 cm thick, and it's usual to pour another 5 cm of concrete on top. Search the board and you'll find more details they are called pan peun in Thai and work out at around 280 - 350 baht per m2 depending how many rods they have in them. The advantage with slabs is that you don't need formwork to support the concrete, but if it's a filled-in ground floor space, you can pour concrete directly on to it (after placing a PVC damp proof course membrane on it).
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Hollow vs Solid Planks

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:23 am

What are the relative advantages/disadvantages of using a hollow core vs solid concrete planks?

I assume there is a cost factor, what about strength, load bearing weight per metre, etc?
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Sunpax » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:40 am

well ..i muss say that for myself was not less expensive to put soil, rebar and concrete ...that to put floor plank + concrete !

I thinck i only spend 1000 bahts less + a lot of work more !

ok they have put real rebar (9 mm) and not the cheap metal netz, but 2 days work more !!!
Sunpax

Re: Hollow vs Solid Planks

Postby Ians » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:09 am

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:What are the relative advantages/disadvantages of using a hollow core vs solid concrete planks?

I assume there is a cost factor, what about strength, load bearing weight per metre, etc?

think the main disadvantage of the hollow core would be ensuring an even flat finish on the upper side, otherwise I don't really see any advantage / disadvantage either way - that's dismissing relative costs, as I don't have any costings.
Ians

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:14 pm

Max and Bee,
Max I looked at hollow core because I had only seen them on display previously. Most of them had cracks in them or were broken so I immediately wrote them off, for just that reason, because they scared me. The pre-stressed slabs you see in the photos have been out in the wind, rain and sun for a few years and none were damaged at all... it was the icing on the cake.
Next time I'm at Thai Watsadu I'll take some photos of the other stuff they have on display. There's even a house built out of Sheera "wood".
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:02 pm

Max it's all about span length. Here is a bit on hollow core slabs.

http://pccnew.pcc-concrete.co.th/index. ... -core-slab
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby nanbuilder » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:59 am

I saw in an earlier post a giant crane being used to drop the slabs in place. Any ideas of rental costs per day for such a crane as this would impinge on budget I would have thought? The likely design of my build will be a square construction bungalow 15x15m allowing six 5x5 room and a very long living room reception hall up the centre + outside decking on two sides. I don't think I can get access for such a large crane (or any crane come to that) + overhead power cable issues to consider. My access is likely to only be wide enough for a small cement mixer - I can just (carefully) get the Vigo down the narrow 25m long lane at the moment, but in process of asking a neighbour if he will temp move fence or I can buy another meter of his land (about 25 sq m) or agree a short term rental. Seems to me pouring concrete is the answer in my case. Grateful for comment/advice. Plan of the build still under development - hoping to post sketch soon.
nanbuilder

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:08 am

nanbuilder,
I take it you are referring to the huge crane I use to pour cement and place the reinforced concrete slabs? If so it costs 6,000 baht for a full day, with the 2 cubic metre concrete bucket thrown in. As well he has all the chains for the reinforced concrete slabs and can lift one or six at the same time. We combine tasks like unloading steel, rebar, pouring concrete and placing slabs so we kill four birds with the one stone. For $200 a day that is cheap in my book as it would take a week otherwise and make it harder on the workers. Both my builder and his workers love the crane. So do I at that price.
Roger Ramjet

Postby nanbuilder » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:26 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:nanbuilder,
I take it you are referring to the huge crane I use to pour cement and place the reinforced concrete slabs? If so it costs 6,000 baht for a full day, with the 2 cubic metre concrete bucket thrown in.....

Thanks Roger, yes a great price and keeps the workers very happy.... need to check if I can improve my access for the giant crane to be able to reach the orchard. Many thanks.
nanbuilder

Postby fredlk » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:29 am

nanbuilder wrote:I saw in an earlier post a giant crane being used to drop the slabs in place. Any ideas of rental costs per day for such a crane

The slabs for my house were delivered in a truck which had its own crane fitted and from the truck the slabs were unloaded and manoeuvred into place. No extra charge.
fredlk

Postby paragon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:20 am

I would use normal pour concrete. I wouldn't use prefabs for base flooring concrete since it is already built off the ground. Now if you had a second floor I would use prefab their.
paragon

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:32 am

paragon,
There are many problems with pouring a slab off the ground in Thailand; the first is the cost, the second is the lack of knowledge by the builder and his workers, and the finally the lack of, the proper use of equipment which is available, but rarely used. Let me give you an idea of the costs involved: If I had poured just a slab for the first floor of my house, instead of reinforced concrete slabs being used first, the cost for the wood/steel to support that slab during the pour would have been 800,000 baht. How did I come by that figure you ask? I didn't, I asked the 6 Thai builders who submitted bids on my house how much it would cost to do it that way. The 800,000 was the cheapest and it went out to 1.5 million. Thai builders do not normally have that sort of material, they rent and buy it. The stuff they buy, they sell at the end, if they can or dump it if they can't.
I believe I'm the only person, in this forum, to use a power float on a slab in Thailand. I'm also the only person to use proper chairs under the trench mesh.
I could go into this in great detail, however, it has all been hashed out in previous threads.
We make do with what is available in Thailand, and that includes the lack of knowledge. We also do it the way we have seen it done/been taught/have knowledge. If you have ever lived in flats or town houses you'd know that a 15cm slab doesn't stop any noise travelling through the building/town houses/flats and noise is a major irritant in Thailand.
Roger Ramjet

Postby SKR » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:26 pm

I am in the process of designing/building a modern house with a flat roof in Hua Hin. I would like to use precast slabs wherever possible. The thai engineer seems a bit old fashioned and resists the precast. He says it should be used for ground floor slabe (on pad footings) or bathrooms or balconies or the flat roof.
BkkBIll earlier wrote that precast is now commen in Bangkok but bathrooms were normally insitue. He also mentioned that balconies in precast would need to be waterprooved just like insitue slabs.
In my view you can never rely on the concrete for waterprooving whether precast or insitue. One requires waterprove membranes and screed. In terms of construction there shouldn't be any difference between precast slabs and insitue slabs, hence why not build bathroom floors, balconies and the flat roof (laid to falls) out of precast.
Any views would be much appreciated.
SKR

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:59 pm

SKR,
It will depend on the span of your beams, size of your house, the stresses the slab or precast slabs will have placed on it. I used reinforced slabs with sunken bathrooms and have not one complaint.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:30 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:SKR,
It will depend on the span of your beams, size of your house, the stresses the slab or precast slabs will have placed on it. I used reinforced slabs with sunken bathrooms and have not one complaint.

I am with rodger on this one and as for a membrane modern waterproofing does away with that take a look at rodgers build the quality of the concrete is beyond good and with a waterproofer added no reason why not use it for a roof or a bathroom floor i think the price of shuttering / formwood is definately a detterant if you can find the concrete planks even hiring the metal formwork its a lot of work installing and propping it securely Rodger also used a power float on his and apparantly as smooth as a baby,s ???? (politically correct edit)
face cheek :mrgreen:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

PreviousNext

Return to cement, concrete and mortar