Attaching wire etc to solid concrete . HOW ?

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Attaching wire etc to solid concrete . HOW ?

Postby koastal » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:54 am

Thanks guys that is great info.I think the loctite is definitely worth a try IF i can find it.

Geordie are you based in Thailand and if so how did you strain your fence ? It looks mice and tight but we have no straining equipment here.it is all done by hand !
koastal

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:20 am

koastal,
The best way for you to strain a wire fence is by drilling a hole through the concrete post (top and bottom) at both ends and use a ring bolt in each with a long thread. Make sure the 16 gauge high tensile wire (top and bottom wire) you are going to use is taunt before you start to tighten the bolts and don't worry you won't break the wire. You should be able to "strum" the wire and get a vibration and sound out of it when it is tight enough. Stretch the wire mesh along the two wires and secure at one end using tie wire. Use a car or buffalo to stretch the wire mesh fully along the fence at the tension you want it. Make sure that you have a thick wooden board or plank nailed to the end you are pulling/straining by car or buffalo so you get it even. Tie the wire to the top and bottom (and at the centre if it's a large fence or over 6' in height) as you go along.
There is a tool that can be used that uses staples and bends them around the wire and fence, but I haven't seen one here (in Thailand), so just tie the wire around it using the trench mesh tool (your workers should know how to do that).
I posted an article on this in another thread somewhere. I'm old, so I can't remember where. If you still have problems I'll try and sort them out with diagrams later in the day. (I have to report to Immigration).
Roger Ramjet

Postby koastal » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:25 am

Cheers Roger :D I will digest this and yes diagrams would be great . Not sure how easy it would be to drilll through my 200x200 posts with steel in them ! :?

Right now I am trying to stop laughing at the off-hand last part of the post ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
koastal

Postby geordie » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:39 am

Well rodger covered it all really
no i am in uk the fence in the pictures is over 25 years old not mine a local council/goverment house
the top and bottom wires + centre are fairly easy with a long threaded bolt the mesh fence i would weave a bar top to bottom and use that to tension either using a lever/tractor pickup
buffalo??? :roll: :roll: :roll: b :roll: t thin on the ground in new malden (buffalo)
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:40 pm

koastal,
Do you have a hammer drill? If you do insert the masonry bit, drill until it stops on the reinforcing wire (if you hit it at all), then change to a steel bit to get through the wire. For holes that need to be drilled you shouldn't go through too many bits. Or just go to the local shop that sells the reinforced steel posts and ask them where the wire is in the post, they should either be able to tell you or show you on a broken post. If you have access to an oxy welder/cutter, use it when you hit the reinforcing wire. Just drill both sides at the start, then hit the wire with the oxy torch.
I still can't find my other post.....oh well, old age.
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:00 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:I still can't find my other post.....oh well, old age.

Is this what you're looking for? http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1970&start=60#p15574
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:05 pm

fred,
Thank you, it was on the next page. So here's the link http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf/At ... elines.pdf
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:54 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:koastal,
Do you have a hammer drill? If you do insert the masonry bit, drill until it stops on the reinforcing wire (if you hit it at all), then change to a steel bit to get through the wire. For holes that need to be drilled you shouldn't go through too many bits. Or just go to the local shop that sells the reinforced steel posts and ask them where the wire is in the post, they should either be able to tell you or show you on a broken post. If you have access to an oxy welder/cutter, use it when you hit the reinforcing wire. Just drill both sides at the start, then hit the wire with the oxy torch.
I still can't find my other post.....oh well, old age.

Rodger i cannot agree to drilling through rebar even on something as simple as a fence post
moving the hole should be a first option in this instance probably the only option as he is unlikely to sucseed in locating oxy acetelene which will cause the concrete to explode(been there done that) a metal drill bit will wipe out instantly on touching concret and i think a diamond core bit is probably excesive the rebar is usually within 25mm of the surface so if he is drilling that close to the edge there will be no strength left
personally i would drill at least 40mm from the face and take it towards the centre if i were to hit the rebar he can always attach a small angle to the stud through the post and use that to attach the straining wire taking it back flush with the surface of the post as pr pic 3 i posted in this instance you can see what i mean with the angle although the straining wire goes through the eye bolt it could be attached to the angle just as easily
geordie

Postby sirineou » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:08 am

I know this is an old thread, I am reading everything in this forum, By the time I start my Build in Thailand I plan to be an expert :)
But this is an elegant simple solution to attaching things to concrete, That I was introduced to a few years ago, and I thought I would share it with all of you.
It works great.
drill a hole in the concrete with a 3/16 drill bit , stick a piece of metal wire in it , bend at 90 so it does not fall in the hole , and with a hammer drive a 16 penny nail as if you were driving it in to wood, the nail mushed the wire against the wall of the hole and is securely attached,believe me it works really well.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby geordie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:24 am

good to see you doing some research before i started the mum in law build i was almost blind
from staring at the pc
I like the hint about the wire but can see no function for it other than hang something lightweight to a post
Where i have worked 20 odd years underground railways most fixings were chemical
resin it causes least presure to the material you are fixing to unlike an expansion bolt
it also has the added bonus of being watertight quite impotant underground although the whole system leaks like a sieve its pumped 24/7 to keep it drained
geordie

Postby sirineou » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:45 am

I like the hint about the wire but can see no function for it other than hang something lightweight to a post
Where i have worked 20 odd years underground railways most fixings were chemical
resin it causes least presure to the material you are fixing to unlike an expansion bolt

the Nail and wire solution, works well for attaching a piece of wood to any concrete, drill a hole both through the wood and concrete, stick the wire in the hole and drive the nail,it is a good solution if you don't have anchors, you would be amazed how strong it is.
we also use 2 part epoxy resins to attach bolts, the epoxy and hardener are kept in two separate tubes and are mixed as they come out.Nice system.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Previous

Return to cement, concrete and mortar