What is a good Driveway cement?

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: What is a good Driveway cement?

Postby kknaj » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:37 pm

Thanks for the data on the pebble mix stuff. I wouldn't want to do more than about 5000-10000 bahts worth but will keep our eyes out for tradesman that can do it.

Also what would be the normal thickness of this stuff on top of cement? 7cm cement and 3cm pebble mix?
kknaj

Postby MGV12 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:46 pm

kknaj wrote:Thanks for the data on the pebble mix stuff. I wouldn't want to do more than about 5000-10000 bahts worth but will keep our eyes out for tradesman that can do it.

Also what would be the normal thickness of this stuff on top of cement? 7cm cement and 3cm pebble mix?

The sandwash/gritwash is usually about 1cm thick

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Treysd3 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:15 pm

pattayapope wrote:Have you thought about any other cheaper options like granite chips? all my driveway inside the house area is done with small granite chips about 2 " deep laid on sunshade netting, see attached pictures for refference. I am not sure of the cost per square meter but I would think it is about 80 baht which is cost of JCB rental, stone chips and mesh netting and labour to spread it.

You need to put some drainage channels in it to clear the water away quickly my works fine and have had pickups driving over when we had some recent heavy rains and no problems, just don't make it too thick. My first experiment was 4 inch deep and the truck just kicked up stones

Drive 01.jpg

Drive 02.jpg

Hi Pattayapope,

Question for you on the drainage channels. I am getting ready to make my driveway and will be using gravel (hin Kuk) for the driveway..

When you are talking about drainage channels, were would they go and what type of channels do you mean?

are you talking similar channels to a french drain?
Treysd3

Postby pattayapope » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:34 am

Trey

I have a overflow from my pond which goes out to the main road outside and is about 80 meters long and has several of the square drain boxes, the last one inside the property is located next to the gate. I dug a trench about 20 * 20 cm in the center of the drive and ran some laterals into this and filled with any rubble I had and grante chips (the type used for making concrete). Just in front of the gate I dug a trench about 50 * 30 cm and installed a 6" heavy duty PVC pipe with one end capped and the other into the side of the drain box. Before I installed the PVC pipe I cut slots in it with a grinder but I left areas where a car tires would drive over without any cuts. After I installed the pipe I covered with granite chips up to the level of the dirt drive. So in short it is a kind of French drain but on the surface which routes the surface water to the pond over flow drain. Before I put the small granite chips down I used some of the green (or black) shading net to act as a geotextile so the weight of a vehical would be spread out, it was a bit of an experiment and it has worked really well.

To contain the granite chips I built a small brick retaining wall and put about 5 cm of granite chips down, if you use more you will need to compact as the weight of the vehical will tend to dig the wheels in (my car dug in with about 10 cm of chips when I first tried it). It has been down several months now and no problems with weeds or car digging in even after a heavy down pour it floods a little for 20 minutes until the water drains away but is still no problem to drive over.

Drive 01.jpg
Laying the granite chips on the netting

Drive 02.jpg
Completed drive notice the brick retaining walls
pattayapope

Postby Treysd3 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:28 pm

pattayapope wrote:Trey

I have a overflow from my pond which goes out to the main road outside and is about 80 meters long and has several of the square drain boxes, the last one inside the property is located next to the gate. I dug a trench about 20 * 20 cm in the center of the drive and ran some laterals into this and filled with any rubble I had and grante chips (the type used for making concrete). Just in front of the gate I dug a trench about 50 * 30 cm and installed a 6" heavy duty PVC pipe with one end capped and the other into the side of the drain box. Before I installed the PVC pipe I cut slots in it with a grinder but I left areas where a car tires would drive over without any cuts. After I installed the pipe I covered with granite chips up to the level of the dirt drive. So in short it is a kind of French drain but on the surface which routes the surface water to the pond over flow drain. Before I put the small granite chips down I used some of the green (or black) shading net to act as a geotextile so the weight of a vehical would be spread out, it was a bit of an experiment and it has worked really well.

To contain the granite chips I built a small brick retaining wall and put about 5 cm of granite chips down, if you use more you will need to compact as the weight of the vehical will tend to dig the wheels in (my car dug in with about 10 cm of chips when I first tried it). It has been down several months now and no problems with weeds or car digging in even after a heavy down pour it floods a little for 20 minutes until the water drains away but is still no problem to drive over.

Drive 01.jpg

Drive 02.jpg

Hey Pattaya Pope,

Awesome advice. I will be starting my driveway in the next few days. Im running into a few obstacles like to much water in the driveway. I will be posting some pics of the french drains im building in the next few days.
Treysd3

Postby thailazer » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:41 pm

Here's a handy calculator for figuring out how much your driveway will cost. Maybe this has been posted before but if not, check it out.

http://www.builderbill-diy-help.com/con ... lator.html
thailazer

Previous

Return to cement, concrete and mortar