Decorative Concrete Railway Sleepers

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Decorative Concrete Railway Sleepers

Postby developer3d » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:17 pm

Does anyone have any idea how they create those decorative concrete railway sleepers that you see in landscaping yards like this ?

concrete-railway.jpg

Beyond the obvious - that they pour concrete into a mould I mean. How do you they replicate that pattern. It is on the face and the sides as well so I am assuming they have a mould made from some durable flexiable material like rubber that they "peel off" but that sounds too complicated for mass production.

Has anyone seen this process locally to know how to do it ?
developer3d

Re: Decorative Concrete Railway Sleepers

Postby geordie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:49 am

i have to say considering i am in the process of doing a small job for a neighbour using 30 s/h wood sleepers who,ever made the ones you showed did a great job of faking it very realistic
The detail is exellent even down to the lumps knocked out of them and the enhanced woodgrain you get with weathering
My sugestion would be real sleepers were used with a slightly oversized mould and latex poured in around the sleeper when you break the mould down you peel the latex oil it up
and fill it again if those are rsj,s they are slotted into they are the first i have seen in thailand
its a common sight over here in the UK in landscaping and funnily enough builders yards create their sand/ballast storage areas the same way
one way of enhancing the grain in timber is sandblasting it so you could fake it to some extent using wood but you may well have problens parting the wood and concrete interesting concept though fake sleepers the real wood are anything from £20--£40 dependant on grade
1000-2000bht
i hate to think what they weigh the wooden ones are a two man lift
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby geordie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:52 am

hello 3d did you get anymore info on the sleepers and are the ones in the picture being used as a retaining wall or just as decorative
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Nawty » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:27 am

A mate of mine and me stopped off at a garden place one day and asked how much the wooden sleepers were and we were standing on top of them......they were concrete but looked so real it was amazing.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:59 am

Nawty wrote:A mate of mine and me stopped off at a garden place one day and asked how much the wooden sleepers were and we were standing on top of them......they were concrete but looked so real it was amazing.

And the price was.......
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Nawty » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:51 pm

Cannot remember....twas some years ago.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Return to cement, concrete and mortar