prefabricated houses

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: prefabricated houses

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:47 am

In our search for the illusive townhouse/house many years ago my wife and I stumbled on a new housing estate in Soi 4 Rangsit, even though it was well out of the way and not really viable because of the lack of schools, I wandered the site and saw monstrous prefabricated AAC blocks (at least 6' X 3') being lowered into place for the walls. What struck me at the time was lack of concrete being used between the blocks and not having too much knowledge about AAC blocks at the time, I wrote the whole thing off. I also saw the same blocks being used near Viphavadi and again I dismissed the whole thing, which I shouldn't have.
There are prefabricated houses out there, I think we just haven't seen them yet, or they are restricted to the Bangkok area.
All my searches have been in vain for those blocks. Now I know what they were, I would use them if they were available.... think of the time saved lowering them into place and also the tedious task of squaring every AAC block with the small amount of concrete glue used!
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:11 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:There are prefabricated houses out there, I think we just haven't seen them yet, or they are restricted to the Bangkok area.

RR here is a video of some prefabricated houses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocq0Tskc ... r_embedded

It's in Thai but self explanatory.

I think this is the company.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2010/01 ... 120694.php
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:25 pm

Geordie,
They are the ones I saw being built at Vipavadi. They were three stories high and they used a crane to lower all the parts. I couldn't stop because I was on an overpass going to SCB Head Office and they built dozens of the houses within weeks. I would have actually gone and had a closer look at the houses, except for the price....5 - 7 million and the fact it sat on a very large stinking klong. No wonder they made so much money in such a short space of time, but I don't think I could afford them.
The video is excellent though.
Roger Ramjet

Postby kknaj » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:48 am

dozer wrote:One cautionary note on starting from a book plan and modifying the room sizes is that the houses are mostly all designed around a column grid system with grids at about 4 meter intervals. If you increase the room size and the distance between columns much above 4.5m it may require some special design/structural engineering work (not required in the standard grid built house).

Good point, I should have mentioned that. For stability and strength of structure 4m wide rooms is a good idea and quite ample. A living room can be longer than 4m since the pillars run along side the walls thus a 6m or 8m + long living room is achievable without removing any pillars.
kknaj

Previous

Return to cement, concrete and mortar