Faulty floor slabs, some help needed

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Faulty floor slabs, some help needed

Postby MangoPin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:48 am

Hi,
Intend to use pre stressed 3 and 4 meter long slabs 5 cm with 4 cm reinforced pour on top of first floor 25cm beams of a 2-storey house.

This floor will be the ceiling below. How do I treat the underside? Do I have to render? Hard work. Or can I plaster the joints and just paint?

Any smart solutions as to how to deal with the various PVC pipes with water and electrics sticking up from the ring beam? Guess its not that easy to drill 2 “ + or grind off cut offs for the pipes. Can an occasional plank just rest on 7,5 cm of the ring beam?

Also how important is it to tie the planks with the ring beam rebar? Same problem as above.

Is either solution below a valid one? Is the first row of breeze blocks a smart solution for formwork or only complicates things? With wood formwork the slabs would actually be attached with the beams through the pour.
Any ideas?

MangoPin
prefab slab 9_cropped.jpg
prefab slab 10_cropped.jpg
MangoPin

Re: Faulty floor slabs, some help needed

Postby MangoPin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:57 am

Reading my own post I now realize that the solution to the PVC pipes would probably be to calculate where two slab joints would appear and put the pipes here. Cutoffs would then be easier. Still, smarter solutions most welcome.

MangoPin
MangoPin

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:51 am

Take another look at some of the pictures most if not all the builds cast the bathroom floor separately not on planks this is so the floor end up lower than the house and i would supose makes choicse of where to put pipes easier never used the planks myself but thats how it apears

the ceiling is a matter of choice ceiling tiles plasterboard suspended on straps is the norm giving a nice finish and hiding the services plumbing electric ??keep a trap for sevicing if it goes tits
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby jazzman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:47 am

I would think not having a proper ceiling would leave the panpeun looking like the roof of a subway tunnel. If you don't have a ceiling, how do you plan on hiding not only the water pipes, but also the electric conduits, ceiling light and ceiling fan suspensions? Is there a reason that a proper ceiling (not expensive - there is a complete recent cost breakdown on this board) cannot be taken into consideration?
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby MangoPin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:50 pm

Thank you for taking your time and for your most valued advice. In general I am not trying to make this as cheap as possible, only to optimize things in a cost/strenght/appearance perspective. Much inspired by "the great Jazzman". Not an easy task for anyone, especially the appearance part of it which is more individual taste. Anyway what is needed is needed. I have good margins and have quite a good knowledge of what prices I can get. I know Geordie asked for more detailed breakdowns on the BOQ. For me it is not so important now since, eventually, all things must be there, every screw. Together all these "small" items will add up to the total. But they are all needed, a door without a lock is quite useless. Anyway, aware of this and catered for in my budget, any possible savings will go to other future projects.

For the sunken bathroom floor, I understand why and that it is common practice. When not done, normally called a building mistake. In Sweden, I would say it is very uncommon, even no floor drains, but there we have thresholds. However I still think I will make a shortcut here. Plan to have a shower cabin or a maconed floor divider for the shower. I intend to angle and lower the floor using less tile grout, maybe gives me a tile height or two by the door and a slight slope inwards. Should make it drip proof anyway and prevent pools in the wrong corners. Maybe asking for trouble but aware of the possible risks.

For the ceiling I understand now that it is not easy to fix the underside of the slabs. If it was, I would still do it though, I would need the extra ceiling for electrics and plumbing. So, I will most likely put a ceiling, no problem. Thank you for enlightening me. For some reason I dont like the suspended 60x60 designed boards with their alu fixtures. I have them in my own house though :? I will figure something out, this is not a problem. Probably less noise from above also. Som strange people still walk around with their shoes on inside the house.

For electrics and plumbing I intend to do a 3d drawing, post it and kindly ask for your comments.

MangoPin
MangoPin

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:11 pm

hi its me again ???
the coment on pricing was as a maybe if you have time to keep it down to minute details it would be one hell of an exercise and bring to light all the bits that get forgotton or swallowed in a contingency fund acouple of thousand for consumables but what was consumed you could go for plasterboard on the ceilings its suspended on straps the same to clear floor beams and hide services a bit more dificult but definately better it can be made into a feature and as you stated will kill noise but if i wore shoes in the house i would be killed
by the way plasterboard now goes up on metal studs using self tapping screws seems a lot easier than the old method
geordie

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:25 am

Here is a picture of a suspended ceiling and it does help with sound proofing. That shoe thing would also be a no no in our place. This old farang has even been taught to put down the toilet seat.
Attachments
Image040-2.jpg
saving a thousand words
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby geordie » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:29 am

you have a bog seat must be upmarket ???

is that suspension for plasterboard or tiles with crossmembers to follow
geordie

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:09 pm

geordie wrote:you have a bog seat must be upmarket ???

is that suspension for plasterboard or tiles with crossmembers to follow

this is for plasterboard and yes we are very uptown here in BKK. Mind you as for the bog seat the training is still continuing after some twenty years.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Return to cement, concrete and mortar