Loss during construction

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Loss during construction

Postby ifreeman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:35 pm

Hi ,

I am going to start the construction before enfd ofthis months and I have to purchase the material myself
The contractor provides me witht eh quantities required.

The first part is the concrete and rebars, and he specifies in his sheet 20% majoration for loss during the construction

It seeems high to me but I have no experience.

Would you think that this figure is too high or appropriate?

thanks
ifreeman

Re: Loss during construction

Postby geordie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:05 pm

At some point you are going to have to trust the builder
It seems you have reached that point if you are starting you build only because you have no choice
20% on sand and cement/rebar is not in my opinion unreasonable measuring these materials is not an exact science
IT takes very little uneveness on rendered walls to eat up 20%
IT takes very little extra depth with concrete to use up 20% as with the rebar apart from anything else the measures you purchase are roughly the same but not exactly although you will pay the same
AN example in the uk we use a loading shovel for loose materials depending on how hard he drives the shovel into the sand and how quickly he turns the shovel up is the quantity you will get the bucket being half a metre
if the bucket is dead level you have half a metre
if there is an airgap you have less
if he has driven the shovel HARD into the sand and compacted it then turned the bucket when still in the material you can have quite a bit more than half a meter
it varies but thats life
That is a scenario that all builders have to allow for hence a generous allowance

If he asks you to order 20% extra on fixtures?doors windows light switches you can assume he is robbing you but as you will be ordering all of these materials in stages you can add or delete as required
Ie you will not order ALL the cement you are going to use in one hit same with the sand same with the rebar however the builder will soon get p....d off if he has to keep stopping for lack of materials on my build i did an assesment at 10-11 am and topped up materials everyday
aiming for a 4-5-pm delivery or 9am delivery
The rebar sand cement are the bread and butter of building keep a good supply on hand to avoid delays same with the blocks as you progress once they lose momentum its difficult to get them back up to speed
something you will notice if they are short on materials they will slow down holding some back for the following day not good for you or your builder
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby ifreeman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:17 pm

Geordie

thanks for your large reply and your replies to all my posts in general.
ifreeman

Postby geordie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:31 pm

No problem uk is burried in snow and i am freezing to death just hoping no one starts a thread on aircon ???
loking through your old stuff are you still going ahead with a project manager if so he should be able to keep a close eye on A quality B progess C materials if not he is gaining financially for what ???
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby jaytee » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:11 pm

ifreeman wrote:and I have to purchase the material myself
The contractor provides me witht eh quantities required.

The first part is the concrete and rebars, and he specifies in his sheet 20% majoration for loss during the construction

I

your builder is merely telling you ..that a upwards movement is possible .. of up to 20% on materials that you are going to purchase.. to carry out stage one... on your house...IT IS NOT A LOSS..as you have said... perfectably acceptable...
jaytee

Return to cement, concrete and mortar