Plastering Q-con blocks ?

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Plastering Q-con blocks ?

Postby geordie » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:18 am

JoJoo wrote:Hello all,

I'm looking for a solution to plaster the Q-con blocks of the house.
I know cement plastering is the most common way to do it in Thailand but in my home country cement based plastering for Q-con like blocks is highly NOT recommended :!: ?
So are the any other solutions available like lime plastering or elastomere finishing like TOA 7-1 ?
I'm worried about cracking in the outer finishing.
Has anyone any experience with this ?

Thx and best regards,

JoJoo
pklongball wrote:You could look into covering the walls with gypsum or sheetrock. A layer of the metal strips on the wall surface to act as furring strips to mount the sheetrock and get a level plumb surface then a covering of rock and tapping and mudding. Almost be like a wall in the US. Don't know anyone here capable of doing this but I bet a good drywall company could do it. Cost may be an issue though.
tung wrote:
dozer wrote:And yes, there is a special render product for Q-Con blocks which is an adhesive type render that doesn't mix with sand.

Any one know if the special Q-con render can be applied on top of a normal sand cement render? I am gonna do the exterior walls Q-con and interior walls normal block and would like the internal render to all be the same texture.

it would apear there is a lot of speed readiing going on please read carefully boys
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby pklongball » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:12 am

I think I'm the guilty party here. As my reply which was the first to the OP question I suggested a layer of gyp to the inside of the Qcon walls. I started talking about the inside not the outside. My bad I guess I did not read the thread .

The OP's original question was covered a bit by others later on in the thread. All he was asking for was an alternative to the normal Qcon rendering for the outside finish.
The complete picture story of our house build can be found here--My Gallery!
pklongball

Postby tung » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:30 am

Lots of builders are using this as an alternative around here as have been checking alot of projects.

Not sure what it is as the name is all thai, maybe someone can enlighten us?
Attachments
IMG_1517.jpg
tung

Postby dozer » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:35 pm

This is rendering material specifically for the aerated block... to translate the top line it is:

mortar for render of lightweight blocks

So this would be the recommended method, not an alternative method.........
dozer
Site Admin

Postby alanthebuilder » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:00 am

That’s the one ! Qcon also do there own brand too
I personally will pay the extra and use Qcon .Better safe than sorry ! :D
alanthebuilder

Postby MGV12 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:25 pm

dozer wrote:This is rendering material specifically for the aerated block... to translate the top line it is:

mortar for render of lightweight blocks

So this would be the recommended method, not an alternative method.........

Can also, from personal experience, highly recommend Tiger brand render for AAC blocks; better value than Q-Con [paid 98 Baht per bag at Home Mart] and easily equal product.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby alanthebuilder » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:47 am

Yes we’ve been advised to use Tiger brand by more than one company , MGV 12 one question can you remember how many bags you used ? And how many sqm is you house , Id be interested to know ! Thanks - Alan.
alanthebuilder

Postby dozer » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:34 am

cleaned up, removed a couple of punch/counter punch flames. ........
dozer
Site Admin

Postby MGV12 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:28 pm

alanthebuilder wrote:Yes we’ve been advised to use Tiger brand by more than one company , MGV 12 one question can you remember how many bags you used ? And how many sqm is you house , Id be interested to know ! Thanks - Alan.

<edit Dozer 9/9/09>I will briefly address your query for the possible benefit of those who have not encountered AAC blocks before:

Rendering over AAC blocks is in principle is no different to rendering over any other blocks/bricks; just thinner and 'out of the bag'. I am aware of a number of AAC blocks manufactured here in Thailand under license from Hebel, the copyrighted German company who invented the process, and they all suggest the same rendering procedure. There are exceptions in the type of render to be used in that most use 'white' cement in their formula, whereas one that I am aware of uses Portland cement and that can take a conventional cement-based render.

Specifically -- how many bags to cover x talang metre? If you have been here for a while Alan you will be aware that those who build walls [of whatever type] here in Thailand are not all master bricklayers. Many of those employed on building sites here are farmers/rice workers and most of them are very capable, give them the standard red bricks or concrete hollow-core blocks and they will feel at home and build you an acceptable wall quite quickly, give them an AAC block and you will see the panic in their eyes! A recent project involved using 20cm wide AAC blocks for load-bearing walls, laying a 20cm block with a thin [2-3mm] adhesive layer is literally child's play but still they managed to wander off course, as it was unfamiliar to them; we can all understand how the unfamiliar can be a challenge even when it really isn't stretching our capabilities.

The point? No two walls are alike here, probably even more so than where most of us come from, and whatever the manufacturer recommends there is no such thing as a standard render thickness. One purpose of the render coat has to be to even out the variations in the wall construction and this is something that AAC block manufactures here don't take into account. Look at the brochures, go to the websites, of the manufacturers of any product and they will give you an indication of the coverage of their product under test conditions. 'coverage of their product under test conditions', your walls will undoubtedly be different to 'test conditions' and therefore it will only be an indication.

<edit Dozer 9/9/09>

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby thaifly » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:55 am

[quote="MGV12"] Look at the brochures, go to the websites, of the manufacturers of any product and they will give you an indication of the coverage of their product under test conditions. 'coverage of their product under test conditions', your walls will undoubtedly be different to 'test conditions' and therefore it will only be an indication.

its a gidday to all its the thai fly from mae rim.....in additon to the above..as i have already said in earlier post..which was red carded.. in most cases the instructions are written on the bag..hell its a only needs common sense to find out the answer to this question....one way or another... BUT ?????.... ITS A SOME MOTHERS DO HAVE THEM GIDDAY TO ALL...its the red thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby Sunpax » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:42 pm

I like to use "q con" blocks for only the west wall of my bedroom...1m2 using brezze block cost around 185 bahts with ciment..

How much will cost me 1 m2 for "q con" + special ciment ? and for plastering to i need also special ciment ?

Ps...is it better "q con" blocks or double brezze block wall (with air between) ? I mean against the heat..
Sunpax

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:15 pm

Sunpax,
The answer to the last question is; Q Con blocks, they are far superior to breeze blocks.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sunpax » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:31 pm

I find this : http://www.superblockthailand.com/servi ... menu7.html

but I don't understand what's mean wet and dry application for "ciment"....

And I thinck this price are hight for Q - blocks ! no ?
Sunpax

Previous

Return to cement, concrete and mortar