Plastering Q-con blocks ?

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Plastering Q-con blocks ?

Postby JoJoo » Tue May 05, 2009 8:58 am

Hello all,

I'm looking for a solution to plaster the Q-con blocks of the house.
I know cement plastering is the most common way to do it in Thailand but in my home country cement based plastering for Q-con like blocks is highly NOT recommended :!: ?
So are the any other solutions available like lime plastering or elastomere finishing like TOA 7-1 ?
I'm worried about cracking in the outer finishing.
Has anyone any experience with this ?

Thx and best regards,

JoJoo
JoJoo

Re: Plastering Q-con blocks ?

Postby pklongball » Tue May 05, 2009 2:58 pm

You could look into covering the walls with gypsum or sheetrock. A layer of the metal strips on the wall surface to act as furring strips to mount the sheetrock and get a level plumb surface then a covering of rock and tapping and mudding. Almost be like a wall in the US. Don't know anyone here capable of doing this but I bet a good drywall company could do it. Cost may be an issue though.
The complete picture story of our house build can be found here--My Gallery!
pklongball

Postby dozer » Wed May 06, 2009 8:07 am

elastomere finishing like TOA 7-1
TOA Elastomeric 7 in 1 paint is readily available and is a good preventative measure to prevent surface cracking as the paint has an elastic quality which will prevent small hairline cracks from showing. It is normally applied over the cement render though, by the way a special type of render product is used for Q-Con blocks it is cement based but no sand is added and is highly adhesive.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby cruzing » Wed May 06, 2009 9:19 pm

dozer wrote:
TOA Elastomeric 7 in 1 paint is readily available and is a good preventative measure to prevent surface cracking as the paint has an elastic quality which will prevent small hairline cracks from showing. It is normally applied over the cement render though, by the way a special type of render product is used for Q-Con blocks it is cement based but no sand is added and is highly adhesive.

I think he's looking for a finish for the q-con blocks BEFORE he paints. They do have the "render" here that is supposed to be used on the q-con available in Thailand.

Cruzing
cruzing

Postby thaifly » Thu May 07, 2009 12:06 pm

cruzing wrote:
I think he's looking for a finish for the q-con blocks BEFORE he paints.

gidday to the very knowlegble cruzing...its the thai fly from mae rim. the above is the way i read it.....dozer has been under the cosh of late..so one can hardly blame him....for my 2 bobs worth..and wheather it applys to Q BLOCKS ....????? all thai flys double red brick walls were cement rendered with very fine high quality sand and the key to our succcess for not having a single fine crack anywhere was ALL THE SAND USED WAS SCREENED BY HAND....surely a a good process to use.....its a A SAD CHELSEA LAD..GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby dozer » Thu May 07, 2009 9:38 pm

The original post I was responding to mentioned the following product:

is a paint as far as I know (as I just bought some Elastomeric TOA 7-1 paint), just trying to clarify.

ALL THE SAND USED WAS SCREENED BY HAND

And yes, there is a special render product for Q-Con blocks which is an adhesive type render that doesn't mix with sand.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby tung » Fri May 08, 2009 10:17 am

dozer wrote:And yes, there is a special render product for Q-Con blocks which is an adhesive type render that doesn't mix with sand.

Any one know if the special Q-con render can be applied on top of a normal sand cement render? I am gonna do the exterior walls Q-con and interior walls normal block and would like the internal render to all be the same texture.
tung

Postby DrDave » Fri May 08, 2009 10:55 pm

pklongball wrote:You could look into covering the walls with gypsum or sheetrock. A layer of the metal strips on the wall surface to act as furring strips to mount the sheetrock and get a level plumb surface then a covering of rock and tapping and mudding. Almost be like a wall in the US. Don't know anyone here capable of doing this but I bet a good drywall company could do it. Cost may be an issue though.

Going back to pklongball's suggestion of sheetrock/gypsum board. Has anyone tried this? I'm wondering if there are issues with the climate here that rule out this option (mold, mildew, etc). For sure, you'd need to apply a polyethylene barrier between the block and the sheetrock as a moisture barrier.

While the cost may be higher than a standard cement render finish, I don't think that it would be prohibitive. Just curious as to whether anyone has any experience with this.
DrDave

Postby dozer » Fri May 15, 2009 8:59 pm

Any one know if the special Q-con render can be applied on top of a normal sand cement render?
Not sure on this, but they would know at the building supply stores. In any event, if it can't there are a lot of skim coat (no sand mix) smooth render product, one that I have used is Mortar White (it can go on anything). Also, Lanko has a whole range of skim coat products, if you ask in a home store they should have some sample finishes.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby alanthebuilder » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:07 am

Qcon have there own specified render (stucco) It comes ready bagged.
This product you mix with water no sand or cement , its very adhesive . Using normal sand and cement will result in having lots of hair line cracks .Qcon block walls are smoother than a brick or block wall finish with less for the regular mix to key on to ,so if your going to go to the extra expense of using this product better to follow the correct speck .Thanks - Alan.. :D
alanthebuilder

Postby dozer » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:41 pm

Just to clarify this post which has become a bit confusing.... the original poster was asking about alternate ways of plastering the Q-con blocks of the house (ie not using the standard render product recommended for the blocks). Hopefully everyone who uses QCON blocks here knows to use the associated adhesive render product specifically for the blocks...... although a few years ago when the QCON blocks first started being used often this was not the case and led to some terrible project results!!

I am not sure why the OP thought there was a problem with the recommended method of rendering these blocks.. as I have been quite happy with it, very smooth and crack free solution.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby alanthebuilder » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:50 pm

Sorry if I confused people !
I just thought they wanted to know the correct way to finish the wall off. They were talking about special paint and bolting sheet rock to the wall ? Weird I thought ,when alls what’s needed is the proper product. Good luck to anybody using this product ,it is a good quality finish, if applied by skilful tradesmen . :D
alanthebuilder

Postby geordie » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:12 pm

alan the post is confusing????
If i am reading it right the question now seems to be can you use the same finish you mentioned on cement blocks ie cavity wall one side Q con--- the other cement blocks question two seemst to adrress gyproc what we would call dry lining is it done in thailand and what precautions to take with it I can answer this my mate is in the process of having it done in pattaya steel framework and walls hide all the services the original poster jo joo asked was there an alternitv to sand and cement as in his country it was recomended not to use sand and cement on q con could be wrong though it does wander a bit still keeps it interesting???
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby DrDave » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:57 pm

geordie wrote:... I can answer this my mate is in the process of having it done in pattaya steel framework and walls hide all the services ...

Correct - this is a bit of an offshoot to the OP's question, but definitely interesting. Will be interested to know how your friend fares with the use of steel studs and sheetrock walls in his project. I haven't seen the steel studs (and I assume there are corresponding sill and top "tracks") here in Thailand - wondering about the cost/m2 for constructing gypsum walls like this.
Please update us on your friend's experience, if possible.
DrDave

Postby alanthebuilder » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:55 am

There is nothing wrong with dry lining the INTERIOR of the house !but I never seen the word interior on Joo jo,s post ,I spent over 2 years in total building house and plastering them in the States and most renders come in ready made tubs im sure this is what Joo Jo was referring to Im sure he didn’t mean dry lining , you’ve lost question in hand .Ok thanks for now guys .. :D
alanthebuilder

Next

Return to cement, concrete and mortar