Where to buy dye to colour concrete ?

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Where to buy dye to colour concrete ?

Postby geordie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:39 pm

Sunpax wrote:[quot="missiongrowers"]keep notes of the colors and amounts you used in the batch you liked

then just replicate that

I don't see the worker put the powder into 100 kg to see how it's work ! and then if color not good ? put that away ???
because if we try in 1 kg for sure will not be the same color that 100 kg...so I thinck will be too difficult ! ;))

sunpax its a bit like making a cake or bread and the results will vary slightly the same
At some point you have to start listening to the advice as above
your final coulor may come as a dye out of a bag or you can mix different coulors to get what you want
start by mixing a small quantity then scale up
1 teaspoon of dye
3 teaspoons of cement
9 teaspoons of sand

Make a test on a wall but render the wall as normal with no coulor or the line will show through the blockwork

now you start with the coulor render allow it to dry and decide if you are happy with the coulor
if you are not happy take the render off and start again different coulor mix

at some point you have the coulor you want so you scale things up
1 cup of dye
3 cups of cement
9 cups of sand
or even better in real life use a bucket to measure the materials not just a shovel which can be hit or miss
1 bucket of dye
3 buckets of cement
9 buckets of sand

if you want more in one mix
3 buckets of sand
9 buckets of cement
27 buckets of cement

using a regular measure is normal all through life you have to make sure you do not guess the quantitys or you will end up with problems
The quantitys above are nothing to do with real life and the figures are purely to show you
that you have to scale things and measure acurately
read how mutch dye to how mutch cement to how mutch sand as it will vary on who made the dye
before you buy 200 kilos of dye try it on one wall or one room it is not paint and you will have a slight varience in the apearance if you stare hard at a wall you will find light dark areas as the cement is thicker thinner in places but over time as it tones down you will find the coulor regularises ? fades so its not noticible
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Sunpax » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:14 pm

Thanck you Geordie...but i will not make it ..and i don't see myself explain that to the workers !

i've see them work in my rented house...and they never do the same quantity of ciment !!! sometimes half bag or 2 bags all depend...and to make the cake (patisserie) need to respect at the letters the same dose of ingredients..lolll

ps : maybe more simple !!! why not put that directly in water...lets say 100 l water for a certain dose of color ???
Sunpax

Postby geordie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:25 pm

becase water is the worst thing for variety ??
sometimes the sand is very dry sat in the sun for a couple of days
Then it rains for three days
The quantity of water will vary and then so will the shade/colour
sunpax it cannot be that hard to regulate the mix quantity,s explain it is important to fill the buckets and count them and explain why = the colour will be wrong :mrgreen: :mrgreen: you will be angry/upset and will not pay the labour for that day :mrgreen:
you could of course get larger containers
say 1 level load in a wheelbarow = 2 buckets cement=1bag of powder/dye you could on this basis measure out the dye and bag it ready for them to use
It would be a good thing to do floors with and you could add some waterproofer to it to keep the floor from being too dusty
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby glennb6 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:11 am

Tips using colored concrete:

MEASURE everything consistently, especially the color.
Put the color in the mix water first. Never put dry integral color powder into a wet mix.
When finishing, NEVER "wet" the surface, NEVER spray water, adding any water is a big no-no.
Sloppy wet mixes are bad. Use a chem admixture rather than adding water.
And remember the color is never known until it's cured and dry.
glennb6

Previous

Return to cement, concrete and mortar