Fiber Re-inforced Brick Wall

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Fiber Re-inforced Brick Wall

Postby BillyBobThai » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:42 am

I read somewhere about an NGO that was trying to come up with a way people could re-inforce a brick or stone wall at a small cost. The method that they came up with, was to use a plastic tarp and place it under the rendering coat of cement. This is the plastic like you see used for bags for rice, fertilizer and other bulk items. I could see where this might do some good as the strands are at right angles. Has anyone had any experience with this?? :?
BillyBobThai

Re: Fiber Re-inforced Brick Wall

Postby geordie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:08 am

Interesting concept but why???

A common practice in the uk is expamet a diamond shaped hole is pressed out of metal and added to a render coat in cases where movment or cracking of a structure has ocurred
I have seen it used in security rooms to stop the walls being breached and does give the wall imense strength

chicken wire is also another common and cheaper solution

why do you need it ???
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby BillyBobThai » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:08 am

My understanding, was for the houses of the poor rural people, would be stronger to withstand earthquakes. Instead of being covered with individual bricks, the wall would be strong enough to hold up intact longer, giving people more of a chance to escape. I agree, chicken wire or something like it, would work equally as well. Their project was looking for something that was
avialable to people world wide and cheap. I was curious if any body had used this construction technique. I will be building a house after the wet season this year and would like to use any techniques that would help. I know that this area of Thailand is not prone to earthquakes, but for the little money spent, I think that the gain would be enough to justify the cost. Any thoughts, would be of help.

Thanks

Robert
BillyBobThai

Postby geordie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:30 pm

Use the chicken wire both sides you end up if you want to break through the wall you will have to beat the thing to a powder and the cut the wire so great security
its widely available in thailand
its going to be cheaper than a plastic mesh and stronger
Skim the wall with render nail the mesh over then give it a second skim As i said ealier this is a good method for movement cracks also
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Return to cement, concrete and mortar