Acid-stained Coloured Concrete

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Acid-stained Coloured Concrete

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Tue May 27, 2008 1:41 pm

Does anyone have experience with acid-stained coloured concrete, or does anyone know a company that offers this type of concrete finish in Thailand?
Attachments
acidstaincoloured.png
chiangmaiexpat

Postby grant » Tue May 27, 2008 3:12 pm

I'm not familiar with acid stained concrete but there is another alternative that I am currently experimenting with. It involves combining liquid pigment with a clear concrete sealer. The supplier, TCM Asia (http://www.tcm-asia.com) claims the color is permanent and resistant to UV fading. The liquid pigment is imported from Germany and is based on nano technology. I've mixed and tested 15 color combinations so far and brushed samples on a fair faced concrete wall that will eventually be backfilled. The intensity of the color is controlled by the percentage and combination of colors used in the mixture.
grant

Postby Nawty » Tue May 27, 2008 3:28 pm

So how do the samples look...got any pics to post of it ?
Nawty

Postby dozer » Tue May 27, 2008 5:40 pm

The method I'm familiar with is simply by mixing color pigment in with the concrete itself. Terrazzo companies for example normally use white cement with a color pigment mixed in. I've used the pigment with a thin render coat with a white cement product called mortar white, also use it with white cement and grey cement. The pigment comes in yellow, red, blue, black and green that I've seen, and you mix it to come up with the coloration you want. The White (tiger) cement company had a good video promotional CD which they will send you which illustrates various uses of their product and die pigment.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Tue May 27, 2008 7:41 pm

As far as I understand it, coloured cement with pigment gives you an even distribution of colour. What I am looking for is a textured surface that looks approximately like the one in the photo. Sort of a weathered look. Acid stained concrete can also be polished and sealed. It makes a very nice (and inexpensive) flooring.
Attachments
texture.png
chiangmaiexpat

Postby dozer » Tue May 27, 2008 9:48 pm

The die pigment usually is not usually used to give a uniform look but something along the line of what you are after. The reason it is not used for a consistent color is because variations in the die pigment, cement, sand and other factors will affect coloration, and anyway by the time a sealant is applied it is more costly than paint (the pigment itself though is very inexpensive in certain colors and more expensive in others). It is used to get the textured 'home made' look with the amount of color variation 'by design'. I can think of many examples here in Pattaya of the textured look, one large restaurant, one home store, and also the bathroom walls of one of the members walls.

As far as flooring there is a company in bangkok which does something similar (but not acid stain). They go to the home shows and had prices starting from about 600 per sq meter. I will try to locate the contact info.
dozer
Site Admin

Re: Acid-stained Coloured Concrete

Postby swillowbee » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:33 pm

. . . I am also looking to stain an existing interior concrete slab . . . in Bangkok . . . has anyone found sources of concrete acid stain?

. . . so that readers understand clearly, this is a liquid stain applied to finished, cured concrete (not a powdered pigment mixed with fresh concrete) . . . the concrete absorbs the liquid stain, just as wood absorbs liquid stain . . . the acid content in the stain reacts with the limestone in the cement, creating random color patterns that appear quite artistic . . . a mix of baking soda and water is applied to neutralize the acid and stop the reaction . . . the excess liquids are vacuumed up, the floor is dried and can then be sealed and polished, or not . . . the results are impressive.

. . I found a guy in Phuket whose company does this . . . http://phuketstone.com . . . they sell acid stains, imported from the US, and do the applications, but not in BKK . . . he explains importing it is a bear, since it is classified as a hazardous material (the acid content).

. . . hope soon to have a price and the floor coverage on the acid stain . . . will update when I do . . . if any of you are in Bangkok and wish to collaborate on the R&D on this, I am interested.
swillowbee

Re: Acid-stained Coloured Concrete

Postby niranut » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:48 pm

Am also interested to hear if others in/near BKK have had any luck finding concrete acid stain.

Came across this site
http://www.ourcoolhouse.com/images/construction/acidetch.htm
which has some nice pictures of the effect you get with the stain on a cured concrete slab floor.

I like the look (although not sure how I'd do with any elaborate etching designs) and would certainly consider it if it wasn't too problematic to get the materials
niranut

Return to cement, concrete and mortar