Cinder Bricks, Double Lining, Q-Con

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Cinder Bricks, Double Lining, Q-Con

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Sat May 17, 2008 11:30 am

Not sure where to put this question, since there's no "wall" forum:

What is your experience with double lining standard bricks (with a cavity in the middle) vs. using 20cm Q-Con blocks for exterior walls for better temperature insulation? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each method? Your input would be most appreciated.

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby Nawty » Sat May 17, 2008 5:27 pm

All I can ad is that we used the 'superblock' same same I think as qcon and when the afternoon sun is cooking the wall outside and you put your hand against it, it is warm, but not hot.

When I go inside and feel the interior of the same wall, it is cool. So for me no need for double walls.

Only advantage is having the cavity for plumbing and electrics. I get sick of seeing my walls cut into and then rendered again and again with just this single block, but not sure if the extra cost is worth it.

Also on my boundary wall, we have the old concrete blocks, if I do the same test, it is very hot on the outside and very warm on the interior. So there is a huge difference.

As for noise, not sure how good the superblocks actually are until we have the house enclosed and can see for myself. Give me a coupla weeks.
Nawty

Re: Cinder Bricks, Double Lining, Q-Con

Postby jazzman » Sat May 31, 2008 4:48 pm

chiangmaiexpat wrote:Not sure where to put this question, since there's no "wall" forum:

What is your experience with double lining standard bricks (with a cavity in the middle) vs. using 20cm Q-Con blocks for exterior walls for better temperature insulation? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each method? Your input would be most appreciated.

Cheers, CMX

You will find many references to house wall construction and insulation if you run a board search using Qcon or Q-con as a search word. be sure you a re searching this site and not Google.
jazzman

Return to cement, concrete and mortar