Load Bearing walls

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Load Bearing walls

Postby ThailandTiger » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:53 am

It seems that most Thais build using poured concrete posts and poured beam between the posts to support the roof. After some research, it seems there are additional options such as Q-Con which can be load bearing.

I'm looking at a lightweight roof. Timber trusses (an aesthetic choice as it would be visible from inside), and fibro cement on top. This will be far lighter than a full cement tile roof with the required heavy steel trusses.

My question(s) is(are); what are my options for load bearing wall construction?

Single row of cinder blocks?
Single row of cinder blocks with concrete poured inside in places?
Cavity wall from cinder blocks?
Cavity wall from cinder blocks with concrete poured inside in places?
single row of 6" cinder blocks?
Any other ideas or suggestions?

On a larger budget, I think I'd be inclined to go with Q-Con, but alas, I'm trying to do this on a shoestring.

Any feedback is most appreciated.
ThailandTiger

Postby jazzman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:59 pm

Did you check out the roofing forum :?:
[url]
http://coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=40[/url]
jazzman

Postby ThailandTiger » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:07 pm

jazzman wrote:Did you check out the roofing forum :?:
[url]
http://coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=40[/url]

Yes, I've spent the last few days reading just about everything, but I haven't found anything that relates directly to what weight you can place on each type of wall construction. I suspect that this is something that someone has researched at some point and may well have the answers to.
ThailandTiger

Postby dozer » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:27 am

Normally the normal cinderblocks wouldn't qualify as load bearing, even if the roof was light, you might look at the oversize cinderblocks. The come in various sizes, for example 14 cm x 20 cm. They come in either two hole or three hole configurations, the holes are used for concrete and rebar to form internal columns.

Theoretically you could use two rows of cinderblocks and then pour concrete, with the reinforcing rebar in place, put I haven't seen this technique used before, probably it wouldn't be cost effective.

For a load bearing wall I would stick with oversize cinderblocks (as discussed above) or the QCON blocks.
dozer
Site Admin

Return to cement, concrete and mortar