- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

metal roofing Advice request

Postby Randall » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:27 am

HI guys, first post here... I don't live in Thailand but I am considering it and have been studying for at least 1000 hours the past 22 months.
I have been all over Thailand for 120 days in country.
I do have a dream to find some nice woman, life partner and the idea of building a nice house like many of you have is one of my dreams.

Currently I am advising a Thai friend on how to obtain quotes for a new roof. The house is about 198 sq M. and is currently some form of composite tile looking stuff. They say it is to brittle to get on the repair done areas where a antenna blew over the house and broke ridge tiles.
We are looking at getting a quote on colorbond. I was expecting a quote to be similar to USA where they outline the work to be performed and new material used and all trash and old roof hauled off. Maybe proof of worker insurance or insurance in case of a major downpour when the old roof is off.
Maybe include the warranty period for workmanship and materials. IT appears getting a quote is not so cut and dry... did get a material quantity cut sheet I am assuming so there will not be any joints in each piece. But thats about it... plus that put a lot of pressure to go ahead and book this work... How do Thai people agree to buy something before they know what they are getting.?

The first bid was for .3mm thickness.. what is a good thickness..? how does one verify that it is colorbond with factory applied insulation that shows up on the job site?
Will there be additional metal support struts required going from a composite tile roof to a metal one? And maybe some touch up paint to prevent rust?

Then I found some thread where they put metal on over an existing roof like this but then you would not be able to maintain the support system or use the insulation?
So I want a quote to include clarification on all of the points , material and cost and payment plan...
Is this to much to ask for..
THe house it located about 45 km East of Udon Thani

thanks Randall
Randall

Re: metal roofing Advice request

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:47 pm

Vary complex questions Randall as this is Thailand.
Firstly the old roof must come off and secondly the new roof must go on; two completely different jobs by two completely different identities.
Then there is; will the old trusses support the new roof?
Colorbond is a brand name for Bluescope Steel in relation to the special paint process they use. They have certified distributors in Thailand.
The trusses is another job entirely that would be done by welders.
Good luck.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Randall » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:31 pm

I am an engineer and people in the USA think I'm anal so guess how this goes over in Thailand?
I understand that colorbond isa Bluescope product.
I read about and of course I understand the thermal science of insulation. is this always factory applied on colorbond?
I appreciate the complexity of applying proper paint coatings on metal life.
I just want to be assured the product is what is paid for.
I thought the old roof should come off. supposedly the support structure is steel. I think of 99% of all the little details on a project so I usually have no unexpected cost overruns on my projects
If I was there I would make the roofer go up in attic and tell me if the metal structure is 100% ok or needs modification? I want to know about gable vents that will be installed.
I want to know how they will deal with the facial areas that the metal may not cover like the tiles did.
the impression I got for the person who owns the house that is leaking is that these roofing companies don't want to do more than a verbal bid. Just asking for a paper bit this person felt pressure to get on the work schedule and commit to the new roof.. But I'm like hey you don't know what is included for the verbal bid.. so they went to the metal warehouse and got a spread sheet print of the material to be supplied but that is it.... I said this is just one page of a quote... I am pushing the rope up the stream and the water smells funny.
Randall

Postby Randall » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:01 am

Here is the roof in question. Sorry I don't have better pictures
Attachments
IMG_20180214_114109.jpg
Randall

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:08 pm

I can only answer one question, Colorbond comes with insulation and a thermal barrier, but that would be asked for by the client.
I had absolutely no problems with mine, a rep came out, bought a sample, told us the distance they wanted between trusses and asked what thickness insulation we wanted. Once I had all the trusses up and had talked with the general manager a couple of times, the truck and installation crew arrived and two hours later were gone. Job done.
The first problem is finding out what is under the old roof.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:05 am

I am an engineer and people in the USA think I'm anal so guess how this goes over in Thailand?
I understand that colorbond isa Bluescope product.
I read about and of course I understand the thermal science of insulation. is this always factory applied on colorbond?

No you can get it with or without installation. If it factory applied it will have a radiant barrier incorporated.

I appreciate the complexity of applying proper paint coatings on metal life.
I just want to be assured the product is what is paid for.

Buy from a reputable company

I thought the old roof should come off.

It should.

supposedly the support structure is steel.

It maybe but is not automatically.

I of 99% of all the little details on a project so I usually have no unexpected cost overruns on my projects
If I was there I would make the roofer go up in attic and tell me if the metal structure is 100% ok or needs modification? I want to know about gable vents that will be installed.

Ask and get drawings

I want to know how they will deal with the facial areas that the metal may not cover like the tiles did.

Ask and get drawings

the impression I got for the person who owns the house that is leaking is that these roofing companies don't want to do more than a verbal bid. Just asking for a paper bit this person felt pressure to get on the work schedule and commit to the new roof..

You can get a proper quote. The only problem is that you will have to use a company that has the expertise and it will not be inexpensive

But I'm like hey you don't know what is included for the verbal bid.. so they went to the metal warehouse and got a spread sheet print of the material to be supplied but that is it.... I said this is just one page of a quote... I am pushing the rope up the stream and the water smells funny.

If it smells fishy it probably is.

In Thailand the majority of the work is done by untrained people who have learned on the job, this means that the prices are relatively low. It also means that companies who do things the "western way" are much more expensive. Few locals want to spend the extra money.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Randall » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:34 am

Thanks Guys..
This person who's house it is insures me the roof structure is steel.
But I figured maybe the support spacing most likely would be wrong for steel panel sizes. And no discussion about planning for this or cost was discussed so far. I figure it would be more profitable to get the business first then come out and remove old roof and then say the steel needs changed and at that point they will have you over a barrel.

What is the nearest dealer on the East side of UDon Thanni the website only shows me rayong and Kong Kaen.
I read where special crews from BKK came to install one foreign guys roof.

I should add that there is a drop ceiling in place I wojnder if this is an issue for cutting and welding or repair of a the stell support.
Part of the problem is even a masters degree person has no idea what a proper quote looks like. I get things like this is how we do things in Thailand.. boils my blood.
Randall

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:12 pm

Randall wrote:Thanks Guys..
This person who's house it is insures me the roof structure is steel.
But I figured maybe the support spacing most likely would be wrong for steel panel sizes. And no discussion about planning for this or cost was discussed so far. I figure it would be more profitable to get the business first then come out and remove old roof and then say the steel needs changed and at that point they will have you over a barrel.
with steel, at least Colourbond, the maximum purlin spacing is about 1.2 meters and I can virtually guarantee that the current spacing is less than that. As steel is no heavier than the current roof material and probably lighter the only reason it would need changes would be due to rust, poor construction or other damage.
What is the nearest dealer on the East side of UDon Thanni the website only shows me rayong and Kong Kaen.

It is in Baan Hat about 25km south of Khon Kaen. There is the other company Lekthai in Khon Kaen.
I read where special crews from BKK came to install one foreign guys roof.
yes mine.

I should add that there is a drop ceiling in place I wojnder if this is an issue for cutting and welding or repair of a the stell support.
Part of the problem is even a masters degree person has no idea what a proper quote looks like. I get things like this is how we do things in Thailand.. boils my blood.

If you don't need the cheapest job I can put you in touch with the company who built our house. They are in Udon and certainly understand what a proper quote is.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Randall » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:31 pm

Update.
Trying to help someone get a new roof was like pushing on a rope so I have given up.
I think there is a lack of funds and I'm not Going there.
Randall

Return to roofing