- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Bluescope Zacs

Postby Saffles » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:17 pm

Cheeryble wrote:
But price is price interested that you think it's dear.....any idea HOW dear?

Attached price sheet. Left column is Chinese/Japanese... Right is Bluescope Zacs 90. This is NOT Colorbond. It starts at 215-ish and goes up depending on profiles, thickness, etc. Insulation is extra.

The higher price for the same thickness is special colors, which white is one. There will be shipping charges on anything they not normally sell.

image.jpeg
Saffles

Postby Andyfteeze » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:05 pm

if your going to use this thin stuff, it may pay for your battens to be no more than 40cm apart, rather than thai standard of 1.2m. Make sure that screws with rubber washers are used and screwed down flush with the sheet. small details thais dont do well.
ps, insist on full welds to any metal rather than tack welds to corners.
Andyfteeze

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:23 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:if your going to use this thin stuff, it may pay for your battens to be no more than 40cm apart, rather than thai standard of 1.2m. Make sure that screws with rubber washers are used and screwed down flush with the sheet. small details thais dont do well.

On most profiles that need screwing down you would screw through the top of the ridge rather than the flat valley. Also you need to make sure they don't over tighten them and squeeze the rubber washer out.

If you have coloured screw heads don't use an impact driver. DAMHIKT.

I would have thought that nobody would accept tack welds as final but maybe some people don't know any better.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Cheeryble » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:31 pm

Saffles wrote:
Cheeryble wrote:
But price is price interested that you think it's dear.....any idea HOW dear?

Attached price sheet. Left column is Chinese/Japanese... Right is Bluescope Zacs 90. This is NOT Colorbond. It starts at 215-ish and goes up depending on profiles, thickness, etc. Insulation is extra.

The higher price for the same thickness is special colors, which white is one. There will be shipping charges on anything they not normally sell.

image.jpeg

Does not compute!
The prices shown are all much lower than the 215 u mention. Which itself is more expensive than the prices I quoted.
As it gives the prices in "met" maybe they're pricing per running meter rather than "talang met" which seems to me the only sensible way to measure or price.
Cheeryble

Postby Cheeryble » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:35 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:if your going to use this thin stuff, it may pay for your battens to be no more than 40cm apart, rather than thai standard of 1.2m. Make sure that screws with rubber washers are used and screwed down flush with the sheet. small details thais dont do well.

Sorry to butt in .andy but the tech manual shows that the washers should be squeezed enough that the bulge outside the nut but only moderately so......no squishing. Seems sensible. I'll try to send a pic another time.
Welds......yes, and yes the frame should have enough strength to clamber on in future.

Edit sorry STWW I see you've mentioned about the washers......modest squeeze down
Cheeryble

Re: Bluescope Zac

Postby Saffles » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:08 pm

Cheeryble wrote:
Does not compute!
The prices shown are all much lower than the 215 u mention. Which itself is more expensive than the prices I quoted.
As it gives the prices in "met" maybe they're pricing per running meter rather than "talang met" which seems to me the only sensible way to measure or price.

I was very detailed explaning...

The prices are NOT Colorbond. Look at the thickness. Left side imported, right Bluescope Zac 90

Depending on the steel profile the price is for one meter long by xx cm wide, usually around 70 cm give or take a few.

I doubt you can get real Colorbond for under 200, even if from factory. Of course there are freight charges on Colorbond.

Mark
Saffles

Postby Cheeryble » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:34 pm

Screenshot 2017-09-02 23.51.38.jpg
Cheeryble

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:14 am

The standard pricing for roofing is per square metre.
Colourbond profiles range from 600mm to 870mm wide.
It is quite probable that the price per meter length is the same or similar for all of them since the material they are produced from is exactly the same.

So giving a per metre length of roof material price is extremely confusing if you do not make clear exactly what you are talking about

As a matter of interest, but totally irrelevant, my roof profile was 210 Baht + VAT per metre length installed on the roof (300 Baht per square meter) however they supplied around 35 metres length of roof material that was not used and was given free of charge when they left. This is one benefit of getting the maker to supply and install, they only charge for the material used not material supplied.
A lot of the extra pieces had diagonal cuts. This could easily account for the higher prices per Square meter from other suppliers as they will be charging for roof supplied rather than roof fitted.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Cheeryble » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:51 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:The standard pricing for roofing is per square metre.
Colourbond profiles range from 600mm to 870mm wide.
It is quite probable that the price per meter length is the same or similar for all of them since the material they are produced from is exactly the same.

So giving a per metre length of roof material price is extremely confusing if you do not make clear exactly what you are talking about

As a matter of interest, but totally irrelevant, my roof profile was 210 Baht + VAT per metre length installed on the roof (300 Baht per square meter) however they supplied around 35 metres length of roof material that was not used and was given free of charge when they left. This is one benefit of getting the maker to supply and install, they only charge for the material used not material supplied.
A lot of the extra pieces had diagonal cuts. This could easily account for the higher prices per Square meter from other suppliers as they will be charging for roof supplied rather than roof fitted.

Agree STWW.......and one assumes the sq.m. price allows for overlaps? (The pricing will never be exact as it depends on the dimensions of the roof i.e. how many overlaps, and also any angle cuts......but a close approximation of the sqm price is still the best way to go.
Good point about the supply and fit. It is often best to supply oneself in Thailand to avoid skimping by the contractor but with a roof it can be exactly specified.

Something just occurred to me:

As the house is a little long for comfort vis a vis double carport on the end of the rectangle coming almost up to neighbour's land (though it's uncle) I could maybe add a lean-to single car port to the higher wall of my simple house and have one car on the end of the house as before and one against the higher wall, and have a bit of extra space for work or motorbikes.Presumably the lean-to metal roof would need to be cut into the higher wall a couple of feet under the main roof, having the beneficial effect of lowering that lean-to and shading the area better. Flashing is classically done with lead on a slate roof......I'm not a roofer but I've done this in England. Cut in an inch with an angle grinder and tuck in the flashing. Is there a flashing form for colorbond?.......does it tuck into the wall the same?.....and how much does it overlap the sloping roof?
I'm suspecting they use silicone to seal.......should I be happy with that?

Thanks
Cheeryble

Postby Saffles » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Jerome, you are right... Price per square meter. My brain not work some days... Back to the hospital.
Saffles

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:56 pm

Cheeryble wrote:
Agree STWW.......and one assumes the sq.m. price allows for overlaps? (The pricing will never be exact as it depends on the dimensions of the roof i.e. how many overlaps, and also any angle cuts......but a close approximation of the sqm price is still the best way to go.
Good point about the supply and fit. It is often best to supply oneself in Thailand to avoid skimping by the contractor but with a roof it can be exactly specified.

As the house is a little long for comfort vis a vis double carport on the end of the rectangle coming almost up to neighbour's land (though it's uncle) I could maybe add a lean-to single car port to the higher wall of my simple house and have one car on the end of the house as before and one against the higher wall, and have a bit of extra space for work or motorbikes.Presumably the lean-to metal roof would need to be cut into the higher wall a couple of feet under the main roof, having the beneficial effect of lowering that lean-to and shading the area better. Flashing is classically done with lead on a slate roof......I'm not a roofer but I've done this in England. Cut in an inch with an angle grinder and tuck in the flashing. Is there a flashing form for colorbond?.......does it tuck into the wall the same?.....and how much does it overlap the sloping roof?

Thanks

Square meter price always includes overlapping needed, it would be a bit pointless if it didn't.

For details of the fitting of a Colourbond roof start at http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4890&start=180 and let me know if you have more questions.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Saffles » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Got a price today for Colorbond

250 no insulation
+45 for 5mm PE

Delivered price to job site.

Mark
Saffles

Postby Cheeryble » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:49 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
Cheeryble wrote:

Thanks

Square meter price always includes overlapping needed, it would be a bit pointless if it didn't.

For details of the fitting of a Colourbond roof start at http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4890&start=180 and let me know if you have more questions.

Wow STWW thats quite a place crane and all.......congratulations!

I no doubt have some questions coming but will start with one as it's time to move.....

About cutting the sheet to length.
I'm presuming this must be done on site.
Not sure how the cutting doesn't adversely affect the corrosion resistance......One would expect a little rust line along the bottom edge after a while.
Am I missing something?
EDIT.......duh.......maybe the cut edge goes at the top and the sheets are treated for corrosion as sheets and uncut before delivery ....but on my sloping flat roof would this top edge be sheltered by an edging strip?

Secondly, clipped seems sensible to me.
Can it be unclipped?
Cost worth worrying about?

Again congrats.....
Cheeryble

Postby Cheeryble » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:59 am

Saffles wrote:Got a price today for Colorbond

250 no insulation
+45 for 5mm PE

Delivered price to job site.

Mark

Wow Mark I was quoted 350/m2. for .5mm Colorbond and 65/m2 for the 5mm PE.
THat's a huge difference.
Am I being asked way too much or do we have the m2 v. running metre problem again?

If it is indeed per m2 price.........where are you? and is the company nationwide?
Cheeryble

Postby Saffles » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:19 pm

Go visit many companies...
Saffles

PreviousNext

Return to roofing