- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Bluescope Zacs

Postby Saffles » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:32 pm

Hi All,

I was stating to look at roof materials and had decided on a white Colorbond roof. I went to a couple of places and they said they had Bluescopes' Zacs in Asian White. I noticed on spec sheets that Zacs is 5 layers and Colorbond is 7.

Question: has anyone used the Zacs? Is so would they recommend?

Thanks,

Mark
Saffles

Re: Bluescope Zacs

Postby Saffles » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:17 pm

Found a shop in Chiang Rai that will sale Colorbond but have to buy the entire role! Over 800 meters I think...

Mark
Saffles

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:40 am

Saffles wrote:Found a shop in Chiang Rai that will sale Colorbond but have to buy the entire role! Over 800 meters I think...

There are a number of builds here that used Colorbond through Bluescope Thailand and each time the company was contacted they sent out reps who measured, told you what was the best choice for your location and arranged for the foam to be installed at the factory. I used them, Fred used them and so did STWW and not one of us had/has a complaint. They deliver all over Thailand and all you have to do is send them an email and you'll get a near instant reply.
They came to my house and took a copy of the roof plans with them, the Managing Director contacted me and we arranged a date, the thickness of the foam with silver foil backing and the thickness of the Colorbond. They even sent specs for the steel joists/bearers, distance apart and then came and fitted the whole thing from start to finish in a few hours.
Be warned, there are cheap Chinese versions out there at mom and pop stores and even the larger superstores, but there is only one distributer of Colorbond in Thailand. Here's their website: http://www.bluescope.co.th/bluescope-thailand-en/ Do not be fooled into the cheap Chinese version that may last just a few years, Colorbond give a warranty of 30 years.
Good luck.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Saffles » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:47 am

Thanks RR,

When get the detailed house plans for the engineer will call. Was just getting info until then.

Mark
Saffles

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:21 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Saffles wrote:Found a shop in Chiang Rai that will sale Colorbond but have to buy the entire role! Over 800 meters I think...

There are a number of builds here that used Colorbond through Bluescope Thailand and each time the company was contacted they sent out reps who measured, told you what was the best choice for your location and arranged for the foam to be installed at the factory. I used them, Fred used them and so did STWW and not one of us had/has a complaint. They deliver all over Thailand and all you have to do is send them an email and you'll get a near instant reply.
They came to my house and took a copy of the roof plans with them, the Managing Director contacted me and we arranged a date, the thickness of the foam with silver foil backing and the thickness of the Colorbond. They even sent specs for the steel joists/bearers, distance apart and then came and fitted the whole thing from start to finish in a few hours.
Be warned, there are cheap Chinese versions out there at mom and pop stores and even the larger superstores, but there is only one distributer of Colorbond in Thailand. Here's their website: http://www.bluescope.co.th/bluescope-thailand-en/ Do not be fooled into the cheap Chinese version that may last just a few years, Colorbond give a warranty of 30 years.
Good luck.

Sorry not quite Fred used Intertech, flubby in Nong Thale, Krabi used Intertech kiwimartin on Ko Pangang used Intertech also your posts say that you used Intertech

They have since changed their name to
http://www.steelandsolarroof.co.th/en/home

They are the Suppliers of the better quality roof material that has a 30 year warranty.
IMG_1686.jpeg

bluescope-thailand Supplies the lower quality bluescope Zacs which only has a 12 years warranty.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Saffles » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:12 pm

Price update...

Colorbond:

Steel & Solar 288 plus vat and shipping, no insulation
T-One 390 including PU foam insulation plus 22,000 shipping. T-One not sell Colorbond without foam unless buy whole roll of 1500 meters. Price is good... 215 a meter.

T-One Zacs @ 180 with PE sheet insulation, no shipping charge.

Mark
Saffles

Postby Cheeryble » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:47 pm

I will be doing a chalet and carport about 90m2 area so roof might be about 50% more. A modest slope will add maybe 10% more area?

I would like good quality metal roof......colorbond?
I'd like it to come with insulation underneath.
It needs to be quiet enough to be liveable though I don't need perfect silence.
I'm thinking a single span of sloping roof from one end to the other including carport so no ridge. Basically one rectangle or very near it might be slightly shorter one end.
The ceiling will not be flat it will be attached underneath the roof beams.

I've heard there are two qualities of screws to hold the sheets down, the better with a ten year life.......but that the roof is 30 year......true?

1. I've looked on the forum a bit but could i get the sq metre price for my roof including it's simple metalwork.
2. Could someone give me an equivalent price for a regular bungalow roof with CPAC as I have a total build price with he latter and can see how much less I'd spend/.
3, Do plasterboard.....inside.....and cement board.....outside......screw right into the metal or does it need 2x1 wood attached under the beams to screw to?).
4. Is the thin layer of glued insulation plus the plasterboard enough for thermal and sound insulation? If not, use what and how much extra?
5.Already have an oxblood roof on a mini chalet nearby (didnt note the prices)......obviously white is more reflective but is oxblood ok? Thinking what might look rough after some years.
6. Can I have a 5 metre width span between walls using regular size metal?
7. Would the price you give be for the company recommended and linked in a previous post or do they charge a premium? (area 20km from CM)
Thanks v much!
Cheeryble

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:53 am

Cheeryble wrote:I will be doing a chalet and carport about 90m2 area so roof might be about 50% more. A modest slope will add maybe 10% more area?

10% sounds high but math is your friend, specifically geometry :D .

Cheeryble wrote:I
I'm thinking a single span of sloping roof from one end to the other including carport so no ridge. Basically one rectangle or very near it might be slightly shorter one end.
The ceiling will not be flat it will be attached underneath the roof beams.

I've heard there are two qualities of screws to hold the sheets down, the better with a ten year life.......but that the roof is 30 year......true?

No, never heard that one. If true then the roof guarantee would also be only 10 years

There is Colourbond 30 year guarantee fitted correctly
And Zacs 12 year guarantee
1. I've looked on the forum a bit but could i get the sq metre price for my roof including it's simple metalwork.
2. Could someone give me an equivalent price for a regular bungalow roof with CPAC as I have a total build price with he latter and can see how much less I'd spend/.
3, Do plasterboard.....inside.....and cement board.....outside......screw right into the metal or does it need 2x1 wood attached under the beams to screw to?).
4. Is the thin layer of glued insulation plus the plasterboard enough for thermal and sound insulation? If not, use what and how much extra?
5.Already have an oxblood roof on a mini chalet nearby (didnt note the prices)......obviously white is more reflective but is oxblood ok? Thinking what might look rough after some years.
7. Would the price you give be for the company recommended and linked in a previous post or do they charge a premium? (area 20km from CM)
Thanks v much!

1) I can't understand the question
2) don't know CPAC roof costs ( probably not a huge difference in price but that's a guess)
3) don't use wood (termites). Standard for plasterboard is a suspended steel lattice as it needs different fixing intervals and in a single plane for both sides and ends. But if you really want to try direct fitting to the roof steel do report the problems you find and how much extra steel you have to add (you will have to add extra)
4) possible not only you can decide, that's why people use suspended ceilings with insulation on top (I did)
5.1) problems with oxblood is all the flies. :lol:
5.2) red absorbs about 70% of heat, white reflects about 80%. Good quality materials don't fade much if at all.
6) using the regular size metal for a 5 meter span, no problem.
7) The prices quoted for Steel and Solar roof materials do not include delivery, that depends on quality, length, and location.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:12 am

Cheeryble wrote:I would like good quality metal roof......colorbond?

The metal sheets that are sold in Global House (not sure whether it is a "colorbond") are in 2 thicknesses, the lengths to 4, 5, 6 m.
The same material can be purchased by smaller companies (with sometimes little bit cheaper prices) that have been recently established around all larger towns. And they offer any length, they bring it with either pick-ups or bigger trucks equipped with a supporting structure for 6 - 9 - ? m lengths.

And mostly, they offer also a design and suitable advice with all the necessary fittings.

They also offer the insulation by a thin foam underneath. I was surprised when touching the underneath surface in a full sunshine, no feeling of a heat.
Klondyke

Postby Saffles » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:25 pm

Prices I got for roof Frame varied from 400 to 600+ per square meter depending on who did it and steel thickness. Labor is about 200-300 per.

Chinese/Japanese steel roof panels are about 100 per meter for decent thickness. Bluescope Zacs about 15-20 more.

5mm PE foam is 35 a meter, can get 10mm for 75 or so.

Cheapest I got for Colorbond was 215 but had to buy a lot and pay shipping. Others no shipping. 285 seems to be the standard Colorbond price around here, plus shipping.

PU foam adds 175 to Colorbond price.

Rock wool in 5cm thickness is about 200 per square meter. Super quiet and good r value.

Mark
Saffles

Postby Cheeryble » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:15 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
Cheeryble wrote:I

No, never heard that one. If true then the roof guarantee would also be only 10 years

There is Colourbond 30 year guarantee fitted correctly
And Zacs 12 year guarantee
Thanks v much!

1) I can't understand the question
2) don't know CPAC roof costs ( probably not a huge difference in price but that's a guess)
3) don't use wood (termites). Standard for plasterboard is a suspended steel lattice as it needs different fixing intervals and in a single plane for both sides and ends. But if you really want to try direct fitting to the roof steel do report the problems you find and how much extra steel you have to add (you will have to add extra)
4) possible not only you can decide, that's why people use suspended ceilings with insulation on top (I did)
5.1) problems with oxblood is all the flies. :lol:
5.2) red absorbs about 70% of heat, white reflects about 80%. Good quality materials don't fade much if at all.
6) using the regular size metal for a 5 meter span, no problem.
7) The prices quoted for Steel and Solar roof materials do not include delivery, that depends on quality, length, and location.

Thanks STWW

Things that stick out:
1. Seems odd that those "screw/bolts" which have a rubber type washer would last 30 years.

2.Would still appreciate price/sqm of CPAC tiles and metal framing averaged to include soffits fascia etc. for comparison.

3. As for colour.....any experience of non-white colours and their real life experience about heat insulation?
I'd be happy enough with white but that would mean mixing colours with what I already have,

cheers
Cheeryble

Postby Cheeryble » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:22 am

Klondyke wrote:
Cheeryble wrote:I would like good quality metal roof......colorbond?

The metal sheets that are sold in Global House (not sure whether it is a "colorbond") are in 2 thicknesses, the lengths to 4, 5, 6 m.
The same material can be purchased by smaller companies (with sometimes little bit cheaper prices) that have been recently established around all larger towns. And they offer any length, they bring it with either pick-ups or bigger trucks equipped with a supporting structure for 6 - 9 - ? m lengths.

And mostly, they offer also a design and suitable advice with all the necessary fittings.

They also offer the insulation by a thin foam underneath. I was surprised when touching the underneath surface in a full sunshine, no feeling of a heat.

Thanks Klondike

There's a supplier is (was?) on the superhighway who I shall try to visit ASAP
I'll check if they specify everything and also erect the roofs.
I'd prefer the whole build to be under one person or gang, but I'd like the roof to be done properly and it may be worth making it a separate job. Maybe guarantee too.

Yes I've felt under a metal roof with only 3mm insulation glued on......it's amazing the bare metal is scalding yet the insulated stuff is only vaguely warm underneath.

cheers!
Cheeryble

Postby Cheeryble » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:33 am

Saffles wrote:Prices I got for roof Frame varied from 400 to 600+ per square meter depending on who did it and steel thickness. Labor is about 200-300 per.

Chinese/Japanese steel roof panels are about 100 per meter for decent thickness. Bluescope Zacs about 15-20 more.

5mm PE foam is 35 a meter, can get 10mm for 75 or so.

Cheapest I got for Colorbond was 215 but had to buy a lot and pay shipping. Others no shipping. 285 seems to be the standard Colorbond price around here, plus shipping.

PU foam adds 175 to Colorbond price.

Rock wool in 5cm thickness is about 200 per square meter. Super quiet and good r value.

Mark

Hi Mark
your post is full of great info but I'm a bit confused by it.
the 400-600 for lightweight roof frame plus 2-300 labour seems an awful lot for a simple unidimensional sloping roof. Am I missing anything? IS it including roof sheet?

Presuming your "meter" prices are per sq metre? or running metre?

The foil coated glued on insulation......is that th e PE or PU you speak of?

The 50mm rock wool price I understand completely.......sounds well worth well and happy you say it really helps about the noise. I wonder if it makes the glued on thin stuff unnecessary? It usually comes with reflective foil also after all.

Thanks!
Cheeryble

Postby Saffles » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:06 pm

Cheeryble wrote:
Hi Mark
the 400-600 for lightweight roof frame plus 2-300 labour seems an awful lot for a simple unidimensional sloping roof. Am I missing anything? IS it including roof sheet?

The 50mm rock wool price I understand completely.......sounds well worth well and happy you say it really helps about the noise. I wonder if it makes the glued on thin stuff unnecessary? It usually comes with reflective foil also after all.

Thanks!

Sorry was in a little of a hurry...

The labor charge was part of the 400-600 price. Steel for the roof frame runs about 150+ per Sq. meter. It depends on the thickness and spacing. If you go with Bluescope for the roofing they will do the frame for about 600-650 per sq. meter (labor included) from their own steel (plus the roof metal price). Local people would usually use C-section steel, Thai or Vietnamese steel. You can pick what thickness of steel you want.

Roof sheets start at 100 per linear meter and go up, width ranges from about 60-76 cm depending on the metal profile.

The PU foam is about 5cm thick (I did not measure). It is attached to the underside of the metal roof. I guess it is glued. It had a foil outer layer on the bottom.

The PE is also foil lined and is 5 mm thick. I think it is plenty good, especially at the price.

Rock wool is in batts, foil lined. Look up the sound insulation properties of rock wool, it is impressive.

I will PROBABLY go with the .40 Zacs with the 5mm PE attached, then rock wool the ceiling (and maybe my walls). That would make a very Cool (and quiet) Thai House.

From my understanding...I Have not researched in depth... CPAC Monier roofs are about 600-650 per sq. meter and up, about same as Colorbond, but would be very hot.

Mark

Just pulled up the steel price sheets... prices from steel specialty shops should be a little lower...

The main beam steel runs 90 per meter. The cross beams about 15 per meter. Can put main beams at 1 meter intervals (maybe best closer) and cross beams at 40-50 cm.
Saffles

Postby Cheeryble » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:56 pm

Saffles wrote:
Cheeryble wrote:
Hi Mark

Thanks!

Sorry was in a little of a hurry...

The labor charge was part of the 400-600 price. Steel for the roof frame runs about 150+ per Sq. meter. It depends on the thickness and spacing. If you go with Bluescope for the roofing they will do the frame for about 600-650 per sq. meter (labor included) from their own steel (plus the roof metal price). Local people would usually use C-section steel, Thai or Vietnamese steel. You can pick what thickness of steel you want.

Roof sheets start at 100 per linear meter and go up, width ranges from about 60-76 cm depending on the metal profile.

The PU foam is about 5cm thick (I did not measure). It is attached to the underside of the metal roof. I guess it is glued. It had a foil outer layer on the bottom.

The PE is also foil lined and is 5 mm thick. I think it is plenty good, especially at the price.

Rock wool is in batts, foil lined. Look up the sound insulation properties of rock wool, it is impressive.

I will PROBABLY go with the .40 Zacs with the 5mm PE attached, then rock wool the ceiling (and maybe my walls). That would make a very Cool (and quiet) Thai House.

From my understanding...I Have not researched in depth... CPAC Monier roofs are about 600-650 per sq. meter and up, about same as Colorbond, but would be very hot.

Mark

Just pulled up the steel price sheets... prices from steel specialty shops should be a little lower...

The main beam steel runs 90 per meter. The cross beams about 15 per meter. Can put main beams at 1 meter intervals (maybe best closer) and cross beams at 40-50 cm.

Thanks for that.....

FYI I think the most common foil coated foam glued underneath is only 3mm.
Seems tiny but it sure makes a difference.
At the coffee shop I go they have it and a small bit is bare of insulation.
That bit is searing hot in the sun if you feel underneath, the foil is amazingly non-hot

Do you happen to know if maybe the roof steel prices you quote are for a hip roof which needs quite a lot more steel and lot more work?
Cheeryble

Next

Return to roofing