- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Aluminium ROOF

Postby PeteM3 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:23 am

Hi, can anyone recommend a good sealant for an Aluminium roof? Preferably a one coat paint on type.Thanks in advance. Pete
PeteM3

Re: Aluminium ROOF

Postby Andyfteeze » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:48 pm

When you say sealant, what exactly are you trying to do. Butt joint sheets? Overlap sheets? Silicon sealants by their nature dont take paint too well. Not sure if acetic cure sealants are safe on any metals. So you have "no more gaps" type of sealant. My experience here is that they shrink somewhat in this climate.
Andyfteeze

Postby PeteM3 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:30 am

Hi Andy, I have a new build house with a metal roof. Every time it rains heavy it leaks. The building contractor keeps fixing the leak but I am insisting on the whole roof being sealed with something. The complication came as he now tells me the roof is actually Aluminium. I am not sure if the standard sealants will work on this. Best, Pete
PeteM3

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:11 pm

PeteM3 wrote:Hi Andy, I have a new build house with a metal roof. Every time it rains heavy it leaks. The building contractor keeps fixing the leak but I am insisting on the whole roof being sealed with something. The complication came as he now tells me the roof is actually Aluminium. I am not sure if the standard sealants will work on this. Best, Pete

Can you post some pictures showing where the problems are?

There are three products that could be the answer depending on where the water is getting in, and painting the whole roof may not be the best answer.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:31 pm

[quote="PeteM3"]very time it rains heavy it leaks.[/quote
Lanko 451 will do the trick nicely. https://www.parexgroup.co.th/products/l ... vacry.html And available at Thai Watsadu and HomePro and mum and pop stores too.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Andyfteeze » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:51 pm

Ramjet beat me to it. I had similar issues with our front verandah. It was a tile roof but the fixing screws were not worked home properly. The plaster underneath was totally ruined. I got on the roof and used Lanko 451/ K10 applied with a paint brush. A nice white paint on top and your problems are solved.

Aluminium roof? Now that's exotic for thailand. I would suspect its actually Zincalume. Not to be confused with galvanized sheets.

"ZINCALUME ® steel is a steel alloy coated with aluminum alloy 55, zinc ratio 43.5 ratio and silicon 1.5 ratio. The technical results show that the steel is composed of zincaluminium." (Thai translation obviously)

Normal galvanised steel has a zinc coating.

Aluminium roof sheets, that i have never seen. It would have to be twice the thickness of steel sheets to have any structural strength.

As for fixing leaks, good luck with your thai friend. Thais think water runs uphill. We had leaky windows and i noticed that somebody had plugged all the seams with silicon, even the weep holes. Sorry, what weep holes? I had to make some. The lowest part of the window frame was on the inside !!
Andyfteeze

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:05 am

Andyfteeze wrote:Ramjet beat me to it. I had similar issues with our front verandah. It was a tile roof but the fixing screws were not worked home properly. The plaster underneath was totally ruined. I got on the roof and used Lanko 451/ K10 applied with a paint brush. A nice white paint on top and your problems are solved.

Our problem was also where the fixings screws penetrate the steel. Our fix was to use the bitumen backed aluminium sheet cut into small squares over the top of the screws. That fix is going on for 5 years now.
Attachments
IMG_1118.jpeg
IMG_1118.jpeg (58.61 KiB) Viewed 97 times
Sometimewoodworker

Return to roofing