- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Ceiling tiles - how to seal them?

Postby PureMeat » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:47 am

With great interest I read the article http://www.coolthaihouse.com/origCTH/infoceiling.htm about the ceilings. In our existing house we have a ceiling based on a similiar metal frame structure, where pre-finished tiles are put into the openings.

It is possible to lift the tiles, there are not mounted/fixed/sealed whatsoever.

And exactly this is causing my problem: between the metal and the tiles are small gaps... especially along the metal at the walls, the metal is sometimes wrapped/bent and gaps are 2-3mm wide. So we have constantly dust and dirt coming in from the top.

First question comes up, are these ceilings ever sealed if the are down 100% perfectly? I have my doubts this can ever work properly.

Second question, what are your suggestions for upgrading this existing ceiling? At the wall I have the idea of placing silicone to fill the gap between wall and metal.

Basically I just can start putting silicone everywhere but I then I can't access/open the tiles, and from experience I learned it is not good simply undoing Thai concepts as later nobody besides me can work on it anymore... every time an electrician or such comes they open the tiles and do their job on top of this area. Locking it down will lead to other problems.
PureMeat

Re: Ceiling tiles - how to seal them?

Postby PureMeat » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:12 pm

Photo added
Attachments
20161111_112602b.jpg
Ceiling
PureMeat

Re: Ceiling tiles - how to seal them?

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:35 pm

Nothing is 100%. You could insulate your T-bar ceiling.

Google suspended ceiling insulation for a start, here is one.

http://www.wikihow.com/Insulate-a-Drop-Ceiling
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Return to roofing