- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

fixing sheera cladding

Postby tertim » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:40 am

Trying to gather as much information as possible before I start building in about 6 months time.

When fixing sheera cladding, fascia, barge boards etc is it possible to use a nail gun and if so can the nails be driven just below the surface for filling later.

Pop kan mai
tertim

Re: fixing sheera cladding

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:04 am

tertim wrote:When fixing sheera cladding, fascia, barge boards etc is it possible to use a nail gun and if so can the nails be driven just below the surface for filling later.

I used Conwood (same as Sheera) but you'll find they have to be screwed on with self tapping screws. The easiest way is to drill the hole first using a small undersized drill bit then screw in the screw with a portable drill or even a normal drill with the correct bit attached. You'll blunt a lot of drill bits, but it saves time and lots of cursing.
A nail gun won't do the job here. I have a three HP compressor and already tried it with concrete nails. The nails will go in most of the time just 3/4 of the way which means you need to hammer them home. They can also cause star cracks around the hole.
Painting is the best solution after the screws are screwed in because they sit flush with the board. Make sure you use the right screws too, otherwise you'll have rust everywhere after a few months exposed to the elements.
All my Conwood was attached to steel.
Roger Ramjet

Postby tertim » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:32 pm

30 deg roof detail.jpg
Thank you RR for your very speedy and considered reply, I have noticed trawling through the various post that your name comes up time and again with your detailed and precise advice, once again thank you.
It looks like I'II have to ditch the nail gun idea and go with the self tappers (I presume zinc plated or would stainless steel be more appropriate) I will weld 10cmx10cmx3mm steel plates on the end of the rafters and purlins for the Sheera to be fixed to.
I've attached a part detail of my roof steel for perusal and comments, I am making my own design as where I am building ( 8 KM outside Rattanaburi, Isaan) I have been informed that no particular permission is required so just go ahead and build (makes a refreshing change from the planning constraints in the UK)

Steel as follows,

Wall plate 100x50 C section x 2 welded together
Ridge and king posts same as wall plate
Rafters and joists 75x40 c section

The roof covering will be Chang composite sheets about 13KG/m2 so is light weight roof

Pop kan mai
tertim

Postby schuimpge » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:32 pm

Second RR on that..
You can skip the pre-drilling, but you'll need a gorilla arm to do that..
My contractor did a lot of it around my house and he just pumped them in one after the other.
Not even using a very big drill, just a small 1-speed drill and pure force to drive them into aluminium supports.
He used self-tappers, but not normal pointed ones.. they look like concrete drills, with a small flat tip.
Checked a bit on the internet.. roofing screws is what looks like it.

cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby canopy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:18 am

Never use regular drill bits with this material. It will ruin them for sure. And do not use masonry bits as they don't work. There are bits designed for this material at hardware stores that go through quick and are long lasting.
canopy

Return to roofing