- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Hip vs. Gable Roof

Postby oldmankit » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:33 pm

Intro: I'm planning on building a house outside Bangkok, with my wife. Neither of us have any experience in construction. But we're doing our research.

It seems like most modern residential buildings here have hip rooves. The issue I'm thinking about is how to ventilate them. I understand that it's easy to put vents on the soffits, which allow good intake, but when looking at providing outlets for all that hot air, things get trickier. The rotating vents that you see on factory rooves look effective, though many people complain about leaking. (Many also say they never have problems with leaks.) Another option is to use special ridge tiles that allow the air to escape.

But why not go for a gable roof? Then you can put louvres on the gable walls, on both sides of the house, with the option to add fans inside the attic. (I think we would need fans, as it will be east-west oriented, which wouldn't catch prevailing winds in Bangkok). You would also get a greater total volume of air in the attic, which I guess would help keep the house cool.

If anyone has a comment on hip vs. gable, I'd be eager to hear them. I have searched, but was surprised that nothing much came up (specific to Thailand).
oldmankit

Re: Hip vs. Gable Roof

Postby pipoz » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:53 pm

oldmankit wrote:Intro: I'm planning on building a house outside Bangkok, with my wife. Neither of us have any experience in construction. But we're doing our research.

It seems like most modern residential buildings here have hip rooves. The issue I'm thinking about is how to ventilate them. I understand that it's easy to put vents on the soffits, which allow good intake, but when looking at providing outlets for all that hot air, things get trickier. The rotating vents that you see on factory rooves look effective, though many people complain about leaking. (Many also say they never have problems with leaks.) Another option is to use special ridge tiles that allow the air to escape.

But why not go for a gable roof? Then you can put louvres on the gable walls, on both sides of the house, with the option to add fans inside the attic. (I think we would need fans, as it will be east-west oriented, which wouldn't catch prevailing winds in Bangkok). You would also get a greater total volume of air in the attic, which I guess would help keep the house cool.

If anyone has a comment on hip vs. gable, I'd be eager to hear them. I have searched, but was surprised that nothing much came up (specific to Thailand).

You might want to look at my posts under Ridge Vent (pipoz) in this same section. Also my build is under Udon Thani Happy House

Depending on what make/manufacturer of roof tile you go for, some of the manufactures make a roof vent roof tile, hence no need for a Gable.

It just depends on the look that you wish to achieve. I did my roof without a Gable end

pipoz
pipoz

Postby eyecatcher » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:22 am

hi,
First and foremost, the layout of your plan will more or less determine your roof style.
Generally a bungalow with a large floor area that is not rectangular or square will mean a hipped roof lends itself better.
A more rectangular 2 story building would be easy to build a trussed peak roof.
Hipped roofs look better at 35 or 30 degree pitch and a gable/peak looks better at 35-45 degrees.

hipped roofs are much more expensive and difficult to achieve. I binned my builder off before I let him loose on the roof, his bungalow roof brings tears to my eyes. A feature of bungalows however is they are not often square and this results in a hipped roof with adjoining traditional gable, so the best of both worlds.

Personally i prefer a traditional peak roof. They are easier to ventilate. You can often convert them later to another room.
Hipped roofs have fascias all the way round and its not easy to gauge the pitch with the overhang relative to the window and door head height; they can easily become an eyesore if you dont have the right people building it. Then you have valleys.....oh dear that is leak potential; i have seen the way they build, no flashings no trays, just gun mastic!

start with your floor plans and make the roof suit the layout; don't start trying to design something to fit a hipped or a gable.
eyecatcher

Postby oldmankit » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:10 pm

Thank you! That clarifies so much. It looks like a gable roof has got several advantages, if it fits the floor plan. Mixing gable and hip would also be good.

We're looking at a medium house of 180 square metres over two storeys, and at the moment the plan is rectangular. But I'm adjusting it often and still haven't settled on a layout.

Anyway, thanks again.
oldmankit

Postby oldmankit » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:25 pm

pipoz wrote:
oldmankit wrote:Intro: I'm planning on building a house outside Bangkok, with my wife. Neither of us have any experience in construction. But we're doing our research.

You might want to look at my posts under Ridge Vent (pipoz) in this same section. Also my build is under Udon Thani Happy House

Depending on what make/manufacturer of roof tile you go for, some of the manufactures make a roof vent roof tile, hence no need for a Gable.

It just depends on the look that you wish to achieve. I did my roof without a Gable end

pipoz

Thanks Pipoz. I'm brand new to this forum and actually missed your reply. I also got your PM - thank you - but couldn't see any way to reply to it directly. Anyway, thank you for showing the way to do it with a hip roof. That's good to know.
oldmankit

Return to roofing