- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Welding standards

Postby pipoz » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:53 pm

Hi Somsip

You have a Perimeter reinforced concrete Ring Beam and then a number of Secondary reinforced concrete Cross Beams at roof level. If I was you, I would use these concrete beams a much as I could, and insist that where your Builder can, he adds some metal frame supports his roof framing (to the main Rafters members). Firstly with a roof steel member from the Rafters back onto the top of the secondary reinforced concrete cross beams. This will shorten the span of your Rafters and greatly increase the strength of your roof frame

I would also then add a few 45 Degree or Angled bracing members (for added lateral stability of the roof structure) again, from the Rafter back onto the top of the secondary reinforced concrete cross beams

You wont need too many of these extra supports and the metal frame pieces will not be very long, so it wont cost much in material. Plus he can screw them into place (where they fix to the Rafter) like mine and does not need to weld them. Its also easy to bend these extra supports at the bottom and fix it to the top of the concrete beams or run some horizontal sections along the top of those concrete beams and screw fix at the bottom as well, like mine.

These simple low cost additional of supports ( probably using up his metal offcuts in some cases), and the combination of the two (vertical & angled) will greatly improve your roof frame strength both for the vertical and lateral support.

Attached are some pictures of mine, all done with self tapper screw fixings, no welds
Attachments
Steel Box Sections - Living Area 02.jpg
Steel Box Sections - Living Area 02
Steel Box Sections - Main Bedroom 01.jpg
Steel Box Sections - Living Entrance 01
Somsip Roof Beams.jpg
Somsip Roof Beams
pipoz

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:00 pm

All gone a bit quiet ... not even logged-on for a few days :?:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby somsip » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:15 pm

As a late followup to this, the key points are that the builder took over all welding and cutting personally, a new welding rig was purchased, a number of beams were replaced completely, and we lost a few few days due to bad weather.

We've now got a roof that looks significantly better than it did in those first photos. There is still some work to do, and the final inspection, but the initial alarm has subsided now we've seen how it's progressed.

Once again, thanks for all comments here. I appreciate the help and advice.

Mark...
somsip

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:23 am

somsip wrote:As a late followup to this, the key points are that the builder took over all welding and cutting personally, a new welding rig was purchased, a number of beams were replaced completely, and we lost a few few days due to bad weather.

We've now got a roof that looks significantly better than it did in those first photos. There is still some work to do, and the final inspection, but the initial alarm has subsided now we've seen how it's progressed.

Once again, thanks for all comments here. I appreciate the help and advice.

Mark...

Good to hear that the final outcome met acceptable standards.

Nobody [in their right mind] ever said that building a house here would be easy ... cheaper yes but there is some payback in frustration. :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Taidef1972 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:03 pm

olavhome wrote:Can understand you feel it look substandard. Ask them to do it more proper :evil:

As far as i think they are doing well. They just could not be more perfect then this. Can they?

<Please contact admin to verify your location - mod>
Taidef1972

Previous

Return to roofing