Patio Roof Options, Metal, Polycarbonate, Fiberglas or PVC?

methods, materials, sources & prices, construction for separate Topics on:
- steel truss
- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Patio Roof Options, Metal, Polycarbonate, Fiberglas or PVC?

Postby inthaiguy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:34 pm

I'm about to do about 12 m x 4.5 m of patio cover ( L shaped). Seems there are many options, but my main concern is heat. From what I've read so far online, heat coming thru the clear or translucent panels can make the space under the patio cover hotter than outside it. And heat trapped underneath can travel up toward the house, heating it.

Any suggestions for the best choice to use in Thailand for keeping the patio area cool from the sun's heat? If possible I'd like to let light thru, but might live without it.
inthaiguy

Re: Patio Roof Options, Metal, Polycarbonate, Fiberglas or P

Postby schuimpge » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:26 pm

1. White roof to reflect the sun
2. Couple of clear panels for your roof, not all of it
3. Ball fan at the highest point in the roof
4. Cover the roof with solar panels, using the energy to drive fans with a battery
5. Spray the roof with water
6. Use/store your cold aircon condensation water and mist the area with fans

Endless options, just be creative
schuimpge

Postby inthaiguy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:15 am

Wow, all good options. So it sounds like the metal panels are the ones to go with. We decided on cream colored metal with the thin foam silver insulation after discussing with the roofing guy. The darker colored Prolite Mini was hot in the sun.

Seems if you care about light and ascetics and heat is not an issue, polycarbonate or the Prolite Mini sheets look the best. But if you plan to sit under the area, you want them as cool as possible.

So now we've planned light colored sheets, with insulation, and planning on trying to grow plans and use aircon water to feed them - for the coolest possible sitting area.
inthaiguy

Postby pipoz » Mon May 09, 2016 1:25 pm

inthaiguy wrote:Wow, all good options. So it sounds like the metal panels are the ones to go with. We decided on cream colored metal with the thin foam silver insulation after discussing with the roofing guy. The darker colored Prolite Mini was hot in the sun.

Seems if you care about light and ascetics and heat is not an issue, polycarbonate or the Prolite Mini sheets look the best. But if you plan to sit under the area, you want them as cool as possible.

So now we've planned light colored sheets, with insulation, and planning on trying to grow plans and use aircon water to feed them - for the coolest possible sitting area.

Can I ask where did you source your Roofing Sheet material from and who makes it?

Do you have a color chart by chance?

pipoz
pipoz

Return to roofing