- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Connecting battens together

Postby canopy » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:38 pm

The spec for SCG Ayara battens says to overlap them 20cm and secure with 4 screws as shown in the picture below. However, due to their shape the battens aren't capable of being pressed neatly together but instead leave a vertical gap from one to the other which is not good for a roof line. What is usually done to get connecting batten tops flush together?

batten.jpg
canopy

Re: Connecting battens together

Postby Cockneyboy187 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:57 am

I would have thought butt joint, with a well screwed 150mm piece underneath bridging the join, or try and join on a supporting beam
Cockneyboy187

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:52 am

Here is what Stramit from Australia recommends.

Top hat.png

http://www.stramit.com.au/product-range ... nd-battens
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby canopy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. It would make it easy and flat, but I am not sure a butt joint with plate would be as rigid as telescoping two pieces like they specify. The prior link recommends pushing them together with foot power. That is what I would expect is the norm, but that just won't work on this type as there is a flange that prevents them from coming flush together as shown below.

batten2.jpg

I am just really confused why the spec says to telescope them when they have no way of fitting flush and no instructions on what to do about that.
canopy

Postby thailazer » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:33 pm

Looks like it is only about 2-3 mm so not that significant once the tiles are put on. Pretty sure they have that offset as a compromise to make it easy for the installer.
thailazer

Postby canopy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:57 am

I measured it and see best case 7mm, not 2-3. Having stair steps that abrupt all over the roof I would think would be noticeable and cause leaks for many types of tiles.
canopy

Postby thailazer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:59 pm

canopy wrote:I measured it and see best case 7mm, not 2-3. Having stair steps that abrupt all over the roof I would think would be noticeable and cause leaks for many types of tiles.

7 mm would be over a fourth of an inch! Doesn't look that bad from the photos, but if so, that would indeed be a tad much.
thailazer

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:50 pm

Took a picture of the top hat battens used on a shade house I put up a while back. The metal roof has insulation glued on the underside and as shown that insulation is enough to take up any protrusion at the joint.

To get it this tight two #8 sheet metal screws were put on the upper side flange of top hat then used vise-grip pliers to pull the lower side tight.

As thailazer said 2-3mm at best.
Attachments
IMGP9447.JPG
IMGP9446.JPG
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby canopy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:19 pm

In order to accomplish a flush fit, I first beat the flange flat with a hammer on the bottom batten for the 20cm overlap distance. Then after installing the battens use a c-clamp with board underneath to squeeze the top surfaces flush together, vice grips to squeeze the sides together, and two more vice grips to squeeze the bottoms together on each side. Now finally in this position 2 screws can be set. If I skip any of these 5 clamps there can be looseness. The results are good, but it is painfully slow.

batten3.jpg
canopy

Return to roofing