- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Pre fab steel roof trusses

Postby Andy » Sat May 27, 2006 8:27 am

Hello all,
Does anybody have any experience or information on pre fabricated steel roof trusses. The house I am planning near Khon Kaen is a simple gable roof and I have been told that Bluescope Steel has a factory there.
In Australia Bluescope Steel fabricates steel trusses to order. I am at work in China at the moment and cant get a responce from their email address.
This type of roof is very common on the west coast of Aussie now and I was wondering if anybody has used this method and how it compared in costs to the typical Thai method of onsite welding etc.

I am also looking at the possibility of steel frame walls on my second story, any opinions or advice.

Thanks guys
Attachments
RoofTruss Plan.resize.jpg
This may give an idea as to what i meant about the prefab roof trusses
House front scan resize.jpg
Floor plan has been modified since but the general idea is there, nice big balcony on the front
Andy

Re: Pre fab steel roof trusses

Postby cruzing » Sat May 27, 2006 9:07 pm

Andy wrote:Hello all,
Does anybody have any experience or information on pre fabricated steel roof trusses. The house I am planning near Khon Kaen is a simple gable roof and I have been told that Bluescope Steel has a factory there.
In Australia Bluescope Steel fabricates steel trusses to order. I am at work in China at the moment and cant get a responce from their email address.
This type of roof is very common on the west coast of Aussie now and I was wondering if anybody has used this method and how it compared in costs to the typical Thai method of onsite welding etc.

I am also looking at the possibility of steel frame walls on my second story, any opinions or advice.

Thanks guys

Mr Cruzing investigated possibly using these kinds of trusses when we were getting ready to build our house. It seems like the companies here in thailand are only interested in really big jobs----housing developements. When he finally did get a cost out of them it was cost prohibitive and we ended up building our own with steele. He had our welder set up a jig on site and then went from there. You can see pictures of our trusses on this site. The architecture dept. of one of the companies my husband worked for was responsible for testing weight loads for trusses. Some may think ours are overkill, but they are built to specs. In the states, if I remember correctly, it's 35 lbs minimum per sq. foot.
cruzing

Postby cruzing » Sat May 27, 2006 9:08 pm

Thanks guys

Mr Cruzing investigated possibly using these kinds of trusses when we were getting ready to build our house. It seems like the companies here in thailand are only interested in really big jobs----housing developements. When he finally did get a cost out of them it was cost prohibitive and we ended up building our own with steele. He had our welder set up a jig on site and then went from there. You can see pictures of our trusses on this site. The architecture dept. of one of the companies my husband worked for was responsible for testing weight loads for trusses. Some may think ours are overkill, but they are built to specs. In the states, if I remember correctly, it's 35 lbs minimum per sq. foot.
cruzing

Postby Andy » Sun May 28, 2006 5:33 pm

cruzing wrote:

Thanks guys

Thanks very much for the news, my wife just told me that after numerous phone calls they have reluctantly decided that they will quote on the trusses (Bluescope Khon kaen) Although from the tone of it all they are not really interested as you say.
Oh well, maybe I am better at sticking with what the locals are familiar with rather than trying to organise something out of the normal procedure
Thanks again
Andy

Postby teletiger » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:23 pm

Andy, why are you bothering with pre-fabricated trusses. Last year I had an open sided barn built (300 sq mt) The roof was built using the exact same trusses. We used 4x2 inch box steel. It took 4 men ( 2 welders, 1 cutter and 1 gopher ) 5 days to erect it and two more days to tile it. We paid 90 Baht per sq mt labour. ( roof only)
If someone could explain to me how to upload pictures here I'd show you :oops:
regards
teletiger

Steel Roof Truss - Calcs

Postby hkexpat » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:25 am

teletiger wrote:Andy, why are you bothering with pre-fabricated trusses. Last year I had an open sided barn built (300 sq mt) The roof was built using the exact same trusses. We used 4x2 inch box steel. It took 4 men ( 2 welders, 1 cutter and 1 gopher ) 5 days to erect it and two more days to tile it. We paid 90 Baht per sq mt labour. ( roof only)
If someone could explain to me how to upload pictures here I'd show you :oops:
regards

I posted a note in the General section of this website asking if anyone knew how to calc the amount of steel needed. Any idea? See my post for more details.

I saved my files as .pdf first. When you click "post reply" below the test entry box you should see a "add an attachment area", click browse to locate the files on your computer enter some title notes in the file comment area and then click add attachment. Finally, once you are ready to post, click submit.

HKexpat
hkexpat

Postby teletiger » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:15 pm

here's one of the hkexpat.
regards
Attachments
DSC00953.jpg
300 sq mt opensided barn roof.
teletiger

Postby cruzing » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:14 am

Thanks guys

Andy,

If you use the kind of trusses in the example in your post, then you shouldn't need any poles, posts, whatever in the middle of your rooms. You must NOT however let them use the C-channel steel for making the trusses. Use the rectangular tube type. Building them on-site with a thai welder, will be cheaper than pre-fab. Just use a jig.

The steel studs on the second floor, not sure about that....maybe Jazzman knows. In the states if they don't use wood, they use heavy aluminum studs, I believe, that already have places you can screw in the drywall etc.

good luck,
Cruzing
cruzing

steel trusses

Postby dave » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:51 pm

I think that a true truss would span from one side of building to the other. I think what we see are partial or half trusses. Of course the cement tiles are very heavy and you may have a 30,000lbs. That is why Thai houses have so many poosts in the middle of rooms or have small rooms. Not knowing this when I designed I am now switching to a steel roof which will be much lighter so I can span 8 meters with a true truss. So has anyone out there done this already. Im listening
dave

Re: steel trusses

Postby cruzing » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:49 am

dave wrote:I think that a true truss would span from one side of building to the other. I think what we see are partial or half trusses. Of course the cement tiles are very heavy and you may have a 30,000lbs. That is why Thai houses have so many poosts in the middle of rooms or have small rooms. Not knowing this when I designed I am now switching to a steel roof which will be much lighter so I can span 8 meters with a true truss. So has anyone out there done this already. Im listening

Hi,

Here's some pictures of our trusses. If you have any questions please pm me. I had some information all ready to send but in the middle of everything, again, it disappeared.

The entire inside of our house does not have any poles. All walls can be knocked out as they were built in after. The ONLY load bearing wall in the entire house is the one between the family room and the Master bedroom. You can see the wall by the wheelbarrow in the picture, "trusses and starting inside walls in hall and bedrooms", it's the bit after the archway. The garage trusses are approx. 21 feet. The open area in the garage is over 30 feet long.

Hope this helps.
Cruzing
Attachments
trusses garage.jpg
trusses & starting inside walls in hall & bedrooms-1.jpg
fam & living area.jpg
lving room.jpg
view of trusses-roof level.jpg
cruzing

Return to roofing