- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Roof Angle Decissions

Postby oil » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:16 am

Due of a overall costs and useabillity issue i decided that i rather built a 1 storey house then 1.5 / 2 Storey House.
So my plans had to change a bit

But i still cant decide if i should go for a smaller angle or a bigger one, and i wanted to hear the input from CTH on this.

So the House is a Atrium Style Building where the Center part is basiacally a outdooor herbal garden but accessible only from within the house.
Like descibed here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4724 that was one of the earlier versions:

Anyhow here my thoughts:
The High Roof Option seems nice, my Wife likes it cause she says hot air can escape from there. Naturally it can escape only if you have openings or windows at those high spots.
I understand what she likes about it, but a open window up like 5 meter from the ground is hardly accessible to open and to close it. She understands that
and then came up with having a permanent opening just protected with a mosquito net. .... In that case i would think of whats the point of having QCon Blocks Stones / Double Glass Windows
if you have permanent huge openings where the hot ambient air can go inside.
Without any ventilation thou i would understand that the High Roof Option is just a Heat Storage

The other Low Roof Option would be like:
But in this version Thais tell me it will be very hot cause Roof too low.
i would think i still can access the top windows in good manner, and with QCon Walls and Double Glass Windows and (PU Foamed Metral Sheet Roofing) this supposed to be the best Solution
However i am not a building expert and wanted to hear thoughts of that from CTH

So please fire away.
oil

Re: Roof Angle Decissions

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:51 pm

We are going to have our roof with an angle of about 8 degrees because with a metal roof we can. Since metal roofs and insulation are a recent development in Thailand most people will say that it can't be done with that low a pitch.

If you use tile then AFIK you have to have at least a 30 degree pitch. So Thai people are used to seeing that shape of roof and building at those angles or greater.
Sometimewoodworker

Re: Roof Angle Decissions

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:29 pm

With concrete tiles as far as I am aware it's,min 17 degrees, but with colourbond sheets coming in one length they can be nearly flat, if that's your liking. Venting roofs can be many ways from Whirley Birds to Sky lights. Venlux ? the Oz company ( On the Web) have all sorts with many options, like opening of course, solar tinted glass, power operared or hand operared with extention rod for high access, they come with fly screens and you pay for only what you want out of that choice.There are two diferent design systems to be taking in account here, revolving around Air-Con or natural air flow. :wink: :wink:
Mike Judd

Return to roofing