- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Advice please

Postby Tanlic » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:19 pm

Coolhouse 2.jpg
Coolhouse.jpg

Hi All,

I am just starting to build a house in Sakon Nakhon

I have a background in renovations but when it comes to construction I am clueless so seeking some advice before I make a complete mess of it :?

I put the above drawing together which is open to all the criticism you want(I'm thick skinned). If you can see anywhere I have messed up please let me know.

I would like to hide all the columns (not shown on drawing) and was wondering are my sizes ok in the master bedroom and living room or are the walls too wide apart ?

I really need some advice on the roof.

Working on a budget I wouldn't want the most expensive tiles but I wouldn't be into concrete sheets either.

Could someone give me an idea of which combination of materials I should go for. Type of tile/something for the heat/something for sound and brands

Many thanks in anticipation

George
Tanlic

Re: Advice please

Postby fredlk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:46 pm

What you are building is similar in style to Max's house in Chiang Mai. I suggest you read his building story for tips and tricks.
It's at http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1970. You will see that he missed putting a column in at one stage and almost had his roof caving in.
fredlk

Postby Tanlic » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:22 pm

Thanks I will have a look
Tanlic

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:55 pm

If you do want a house with the min of columns, then go for a Colourbond roof,as it requires a lot lighter structure supports. I can't speak for pre or after sprayed Colourbond but every single roof I seen installed in Oz in the last 20 years at least, whether factories/houses or offices,( and only houses use tiles) have put down double sided foil with a layer of either Rock wool or Fibreglass insulation in-between. This is ALWAYS put down last with the Colourbond sheets pressed into it, the main reason is to blanket the rain from making a drumming noise, apart from it's insulation properties. I shouldn't think Oz architects/Engineers etc; would have got it wrong all these years .
Mike Judd

Postby Ians » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:23 pm

To hide the columns internally or externally which are usually 20x20cm, you will end up with wall thickness of 20cm + render if that's the way you intend to build. No exposed columns was one of the major priorities in my build, therefore all external walls are cavity as was planned as well as the internal walls, a consequence of not having exposed columns.

You do realise that the columns are necessary in standard Thai build as Thai builders do not use and 99% don't understand load bearing wall construction.
Ians

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:18 pm

Tanlic wrote:I really need some advice on the roof.

Go for Colorbond roofing. I used the Intertech factory attached foam and can barely hear the rain - but I am nearly deaf. They also did the instalation from start to finish and advised me on the spacing of the steel they affixed to. Colorbond is light and guaranteed for 30 years and it's cheaper than heavy tiles.
Roger Ramjet

Postby pipoz » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:27 pm

Hi Tanlic,

This will give you some idea on the cost of the Roof Tiles/System.

I recently inquired about CPAC Roof Tiles both for a Medium and a Higher range type of roof tiles, for my build and obtained quotations from Home Mart Quotations for the two types of tile.

1. CPAC Medium Price Tile: Prestige Horizon Tile (in Midnight Grey or Pewter Grey colour): For the Supply Only" of the roof tile, foil membrane underside of tile and drytec roof ridge tile seal and fixing accessories, for some 2454 No, for 216 m2 of actual roof area surface (in my case), the cost was TB 135,218 or TB 626 per m2 of actual sloping roof area. Under Roof Flat Footprint is 183.75. (Price and rates Excludes VAT)

1. CPAC High Price Tile: Neustile Trend CPAC Tile (Black Steel or Grey Slate): For the Supply Only" of the roof tile, foil membrane underside of tile and drytec roof ridge tile seal and fixing accessories, for some 2315 No, for 216 m2 of actual roof area surface (in my case), the cost was TB 164,322 = TB 760 per m2 of actual sloping roof area. Under Roof Flat Footprint is 183.75 (Price and rates Excludes VAT). Attached are two pictures if my recently completed roof in the CPAC Neustile Black Steel colur

The above exclude, the cost of the roof framing (excl. supply & install) and the cost of the installation of the roof tiles. For my case in the Udon Thani area and using a Roofer who works for SCG-Home Mart, the labour costs are as below.

Roof Tile/System Material Cost: In summary my CPAC Roof Tiles options were between TB 626 - 760 per m2 of sloping roof, but I know you can get a cheaper CPAC roof Tile. My guess is you can get the more standard CPAC ontrazz or Zenith Roof Tile range and possibly one from MAHAPHANT for around 10% less i.e. say around TB 570 per m2

Roof Tile/System Installation Labour Cost: The cost to install the roof tile foil membrane underside of tile and drytec roof ridge tile seal, for either tile type above, was around TB 49,200 for my roof, which works out to TB 228 again per m2 of the actual sloping roof area (in my case 216 m2), Excluding VAT

Roof Framing and or Roof Trusses: It varies a lot depending on how you wish to go about your roof truss system . You have two main or normally used options, (1) The Thai Standard way or (2) The Thai Fabricated Truss Way from Top Hat (from Home Mart) or the Lysaght Blue Steel (from Khon Kaen).

The Thai Standard way is the cheapest, but I didn't use it, as I opted for the Thai Fabricated Truss Way from Top Hat (from SCG-Home Mart).

pipoz
Attachments
Day 117 Front View - 17 Sept 2014 - 2.jpg
CPAC Nuestile Roof Tile Black Steel colour - Front View
Day 117 Rear View - 17 Sept 2014.jpg
CPAC Nuestile Roof Tile Black Steel colour - Rear View
pipoz

Postby Andyfteeze » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:43 pm

I too would go for the colourbond with the foam underneath. Don't use thai bricks, go for the qcon/hebel blocks. Taking the time to think about your insulation strategies will pay dividends in the long term for comfort and reduced energy bills.
These are just "low hanging fruit" strategies and they make a huge difference! If you cant afford double glazing, eglass is not much more than standard glass. Wide verandas work well too. Ensure the roof space is ventilated so it doesn't become a heat trap.
Andyfteeze

Postby Tanlic » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:30 am

Thank you so much guys. You have given me plenty to think about. I do like the look of your roof Pipoz I'll be extremely happy if mines looks as good.
Tanlic

Postby pipoz » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:54 pm

Tanlic wrote:Thank you so much guys. You have given me plenty to think about. I do like the look of your roof Pipoz I'll be extremely happy if mines looks as good.

My house roof footprint, seems pretty close to yours. My roof footprint is 17.0 m x 11.0 m = 187 m2 and the roof pitch is 30 Degrees

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Tanlic » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:53 pm

Her indoors wants what you have pipoz so that settles that :wink:

My sqm is about the same as your can you tell me the total cost including the trusses?
Tanlic

Postby pipoz » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:41 am

Tanlic wrote:Her indoors wants what you have pipoz so that settles that :wink:

My sqm is about the same as your can you tell me the total cost including the trusses?

Hi,

Half way down on Page 3 of my Build "Udon Thani Happy House" is an excel spreadsheet on my roof package cost, ref CTH 0 A000....1507 2014 Rev B, which gives you a complete cost breakdown. Look at the Description of Work Items and the Costs under Option 1.

The Overall Cost Forecast of my Roof Package, at the time was TB 502,661 and the Rate worked out to be around TB 2,328 per m2 for 215.9m2 (roof area on slope) = 187m2 (roof area flat footprint - 17m x 11m), which included several estimates in RED and an allowance within for CRB 32 Density x 50mm with Wire Support above the ceiling. The final price came in at TB 487,161 at a Rate of TB 2,256 for 215.9m2 (roof area on slope) = 187m2 (roof area flat footprint 17m x 11m),

For the Top Hat Roof Trusses only,
Item 1.1 Framing Trusses - Supply & Deliver TB 129,986 for 215.9m2 (roof area on slope) = 187m2 (roof flat area footprint 17m x 11m)
Item 2.1 Erect Roof Truss Labour TB 58,512

You can reduce this by selecting a different roof tile to the one I choose. Mine was the CPAC Neustile Trend Black Steel, which is more expensive that other CPAC roof tiles, such as Prestige or Horizon range, etc.

Hope this helps

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Tanlic » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:44 pm

I am a bit concerned regarding my foundations.

We dug the holes they are over 1.5 m deep and the rebar base inc concrete is 1.2 x 1.2 so no worries on that score.

My concern is the footings channel between each column. There is no crawl space so the channels will be dug out between each column and be about 30 to 40 wide..I have looked at several builds on here and either they used timber shuttering or block or brick.

My guy reckons there is no need that all that ir required is to dig the channel and fill it with concrete..

If I let him do it this way am I heading for disaster ?
Tanlic

Postby Ians » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:05 pm

How about a photo' makes it much clearer.
Ians

Postby Tanlic » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:50 pm

Oops take a rain check on that...thai English misunderstanding...i asked if he would use block.....he said no but is shuttering the floor beams eith wood...silly me
Tanlic

Next

Return to roofing