- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Pillars, Pillars, Pillars

Postby oil » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:23 pm

I am quite fed up witht he fact that my thai architects want to fiddle pillars all over the place in my plans.

basially they insist that every 4 meter one pillar has to be placed.

my plan thou consists out of a 40 cm thick cob wall, with a ringbeam on top i would put a steel trussing on top and
i believe it can carry pretty much anything, or way more then some stupid pillars could do.
the simple fact that my walls intersect with each other makes the whole building a trillion times stronger then the pillar / filler bricks / pillar wall construction they have here.

please correct me if i am wrong, the way i understand it on a 1 storey building the whole use of pillars is to carry the weight of the roof, and also naturally to hold the roof on the floor with anchors that strong winds doesnt carry it away.

imho i would guess that the weight / forces of the roof heavily depending on what i put on the roof, Metalsheets should be a much more leightweight compared to normal roof tiles.
so for what fu..... reason do thai building engineers insist on the every 4 meter a pillar rule.

i am not a building engineer, however this pillar thingie just makes no sense at all imho,
so could anybody tell me i am crazy or tell me which point i am missing here. I really need to understand this.

None of the Thai architects / engineers could explain me the purpose of why i would need those pillars.
oil

Re: Pillars, Pillars, Pillars

Postby oil » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:24 pm

i might have to add that in the country of my origin we dont built houses with pillars, only industrial buildings are made with those.
oil

Postby fredlk » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:27 pm

oil wrote: for what fu..... reason do thai building engineers insist on the every 4 meter a pillar rule.

Because that is all they know.
fredlk

Postby Ians » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:29 pm

If the architect or engineer can not explain why the columns are usually placed at 4 metre centres I would suggest that it's time to change to a competent architect and engineer. You can locate columns at any centres you like provided the calculations for column sized are undertaken and the roof structure is designed for the spans.
Ians

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:22 am

Ians wrote:If the architect or engineer can not explain why the columns are usually placed at 4 metre centres I would suggest that it's time to change to a competent architect and engineer. You can locate columns at any centres you like provided the calculations for column sized are undertaken and the roof structure is designed for the spans.

Agree ! You decide on the size of your rooms and it's usually the lounge area where the width may be required to be more than 4mts,(the length doesn't matter on the inside) although columns along any walls simplify the roof structure supports. They can be hidden with cavity walls, or only seen from one side (Inside or out) by having the single brick or block flush.
Mike Judd

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:29 pm

^

Or use 20 CM walls with air gap as many members have done.

My living and dining rooms have a 5.5 M span the Sala is 8 M with a concrete tile roof so it can be done. Posted the truss for the Sala somewhere on CTH.It would be a structural engineer who would make the call not the architect
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby pipoz » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:57 pm

oil wrote:I am quite fed up witht he fact that my thai architects want to fiddle pillars all over the place in my plans.

basially they insist that every 4 meter one pillar has to be placed.

my plan thou consists out of a 40 cm thick cob wall, with a ringbeam on top i would put a steel trussing on top and
i believe it can carry pretty much anything, or way more then some stupid pillars could do.
the simple fact that my walls intersect with each other makes the whole building a trillion times stronger then the pillar / filler bricks / pillar wall construction they have here.

please correct me if i am wrong, the way i understand it on a 1 storey building the whole use of pillars is to carry the weight of the roof, and also naturally to hold the roof on the floor with anchors that strong winds doesnt carry it away.

imho i would guess that the weight / forces of the roof heavily depending on what i put on the roof, Metalsheets should be a much more leightweight compared to normal roof tiles.
so for what fu..... reason do thai building engineers insist on the every 4 meter a pillar rule.

i am not a building engineer, however this pillar thingie just makes no sense at all imho,
so could anybody tell me i am crazy or tell me which point i am missing here. I really need to understand this.

None of the Thai architects / engineers could explain me the purpose of why i would need those pillars.

You might want to look at my structure layout and roof, which is relatively column free internally. Refer My Build story, "Happy House Udon Thani". Have attached a few drawings and photos, that might be of interest.

Thai Architects will just design their standard way, you just need to find a Cad Draftsman and then you Builder to build your way. Can I suggest just get a hold of a good CAD Draftsman and give him a Sketch of the Layout that you want and show him what areas are not to have internal Columns (column free areas) and what Columns spacing you want, if you wish to have large/wide door/window openings in some walls. He will then draw it up so you can have a good final look at it and make any last minute changes.

Once you have the agreed Layout Plan with Dimensions, getting a structural engineer (even if he is Thai or Expat) to size your footings, ground beams, columns and roof ring beam and the reinforcement in each, is relatively simple. Just start by getting your envisaged/preferred Layout Plan correct and knowing where you Do Not want Columns.

pipoz
Attachments
Happy Studio-Guesthouse.jpg
Architectural Concept View
HH Footing Layout Part 2.pdf
Pad Footing Layout - Same as Column Layout
(129.12 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
HH Roof Beam B3 Part 6.pdf
RC Concrete Ring Beam Layout
(103.15 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Day 98 Completed Roof Structure at Front - 26 August 2014.jpg
Roof Framing sitting on RC Concrete Ring Beam