- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Help with steel specs for Colorbond Roof

Postby fredlk » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:50 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote: Fred use colour bond with clips but he used spray foam not the colour bond installed insulation

I have both actually. In the 2 houses it's PU-Foam and in the garage and entranceway it's the factory-applied foam backing. A couple of rats spent some time in the garage roof sheltering from the rain and they got hungry so ate some of the insulation. All the PU-Foam is still perfectly intact and so anywhere and everywhere from now on it's the foam for me.
fredlk

Postby Cheeryble » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:07 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:As you can see I'm not "HappyChap"but I may have a few answers. Fred use colour bond with clips but he used spray foam not the colour bond installed insulation RR used the colourbond installed insulation I think with clips. I've used it with screws. The reason cor me using screws is that I have no ceiling so the wind can not only pull up but also push up so clips might not have been OK. RR used very long lengths if you take a look at his build you will see they run the length if his house.

The bus station roof has a cheep foam on it and delamination is not too unusual.

Thanks Woodworker and Fred

I looked throug RR's build and after quite a search found his roof going on....rather quickly it looked.

It looks like the roof is flat! But there must be a slope (unless the ends are sealed with epoxy or something mystical). What's the minimum drop?
(Perhaps Fred or RR will drop by)

In any case my roof will only be 10.5m along horizontal sides inc overhang, and across a horizontal distance of about 8.7m inc overhang on the sloping axis.
The roof will be minimum possible height at the low end (head height plus....ceiling really) but I shall take it high on the other long side of the house perhaps 4-4.5 metres so I can get some convection working and to give a feeling of size and also possibly have a platform bed...naturally with a high ceiling.
So I guess if the horizontal is 8.7m the actual roof sheet length....without yet getting out the sine/cos tables.....will be about 9-9.5m, total area +\_ 97m2

Just kinda working it out open for all here....I think the longest unsupported roofing member distance will be 4.5m horizontal distance.
What sort of depth of roof support member will I need for colourbond for that span.....IOW how "thick" will my roof be down to ceiling?
What type of beam section would it be?

Thanks again.
Cheeryble

Postby fredlk » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:03 am

Cheeryble wrote:What's the minimum drop?

If I remember correctly, according to the Colorbond specifications it must be a minimum of 12 degrees.
In my garage I have a height difference of 50 centimetres over a length of 6 metres.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:14 pm

Cheeryble wrote:I looked throug RR's build and after quite a search found his roof going on....rather quickly it looked.

It was done in three hours. Intertech Steel did the instalation as part of the deal for buying Colorbond from them. There were no screws put into the colorbond at all, it was all locked down with the screws going into the batons for the lock-downs. Again, Intertech did the whole thing, all they wanted were the properly spaced batons. Once one sheet was up and in place they were walking on it. They'd already used ladders to measure where each lock-down would go and fitted them before they started placing each sheet.
The sides were put on by a different team later, they were screwed on.
The slope was 1 foot from end to end (24 metres if I recall), which is what Intertech wanted. I have guttering though.
I have absolutely no problem with rats.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Cheeryble » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:05 am

Thanks for the info.

A drop of just one foot in 24m would be about 1:80 doesn't sound like much more than a single degree!
Guess that means the water will always drain off the top before it creeps up inside the seams high enough to leak in.

Any case I'm still having trouble finding about installers and details and now I've put the rough on paper I'm not favouring the single slab roof so much.
As I may now have a roof pitched two ways (with the centreline possibly offset to still give a high enough ceiling for a platform bed in the main room whcih is along one side) I'm questioning my idea to have a metal roof at all and am reconsidering the simplicity if "asbestos" sheet tiling.
Remembering this will start as a "holiday chalet" but may develop into a home please could posters help me decide between Colorbind and top grade "asbestos" sheets

Metal: have been told very difficult to get fully experienced contractor in CR.
Sheets: no problem.

Metal: price inc lightweight roof structure approx 1100bt/sqm?
Sheets: price inc roof structure ???/sqm?
(Size of steels with cathedral ceiling max horizontal span 5metres??)

Metal: can be supported by thermalise blocks no solumns.
Sheets: light enough for thermalite only? And is it a real advantage to not have columns?

Metal: won't get smashed by hail as happened to most roofs in the area recently
Sheets: But it was a true freak event, If it was a statistical danger no-one would have sheet roofing. Surface replacement cost in the event of another massive hailstorm max 20k baht. (BTW How much/sqm for the best sheets?)

Metal: insulation ready attached
Sheets: Metal will benefit from additional insulation anyway, so why not just make the insulation underneath adequate?
(Bearing in mind The ceiling will follow the roofline and I may have a platform bed right underneath it what would adequate insulation be?... Hate to say it but I favour the dark colours like the brown one so must allow insulation to compensate)

Metal: Seamless, excellent for low angles
Sheets: in this case I shall have an angle perfectly acceptable for sheet roofing.

No big deal here, but if anyone has any input please feel free.
Bear in mind I don't like the look of CPAC and trying to keep costs down here.
Thanks.
Cheeryble

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:30 pm

Cheeryble wrote:Any case I'm still having trouble finding about installers and details and now I've put the rough on paper I'm not favouring the single slab roof so much.

I'm not too sure why you are worrying about installers; if you're using Intertech Steel they do that, all ypu have to do is supply the metal cross beams they screw their locking devices on.
Cheeryble wrote:please could posters help me decide between Colorbind and top grade "asbestos" sheets

There is no comparison.
Cheeryble wrote:Metal: have been told very difficult to get fully experienced contractor in CR.

You said you were using Intertech Steel.........they do the instalation.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:11 pm

The most important thing with steel roofing now days is to get the sheets in one length ,with only the length of the transport limiting how long the sheets as they come off of a roll when pressing out the particular profile you requested. Steel expands and contracts quite a lot constantly with temperatures, the old lapping of sheets meant that on all the laps over time ,all the protective coating was rubbed off and thats where the rust starts.
With corrugated sheets you have to fix with screws as far as I know. ( I could be wrong) With the flat profiles they have the clips so no penetration of the sheets by any fasteners, thats what I used on my factory roof 30 yrs ago and it's still up there doing it's job with no deterioration what so ever. I don't think you have to worry about the sheets coming off the clips , it's a well proven method over years of installations.
Mike Judd

Postby bmisteel » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:32 pm

You're the one who tells them what thickness you want, the colour and the insulation thickness. The heavier the guage the less batons are required, not by much, but a few, but that also depends on the thickness of the batons. The reps will give you all the details once you select the the type of Colorbond you want.
bmisteel

Postby regknick » Thu May 14, 2015 7:59 pm

Can anybody tell me the contact details for Intertech? I'm searching high and low and don't find them anywhere on the web?

Found it. Thanks Roger!
regknick

Previous

Return to roofing