- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Help with steel specs for Colorbond Roof

Postby Happy-Chap » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:57 pm

S-02.jpg

So as I said in my intro building this tiny house in Rayong using Crossy free government plans house No 1 as I understand it the original plans use some sort of cement sheets.
I am planning to use Colorbond with 25mm insulation which will be a lot lighter than the original spec is 8 x 2 for the main cross beams if I reduce these specs by 25% ie 6 x2 will that work?
I have not yet paid the deposit and will be in the office on Monday I will try to ask them but unfortunately communications are not very easy so any help appreciated
Happy-Chap

Re: Help with steel specs for Colorbond Roof

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:13 pm

If you plan on using Colorbond they will inform you how they want your cross beams to be lade. Even their reps understand plans and if they need to converse in English they'll ring someone at head office. All mine were 3 metres apart except for the batons.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Happy-Chap » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:41 pm

Thank you and sorry I must sound like a complete idiot just realised the 8 x 2 must be for a wooden beam. I emailed Colorbond before but with no response at all and as the factory is in Rayong I visited but had no joy at all which was a pity as it took me an hour to find the place.
When I lived here last which was for 5 years I never got a scratch the first day back my new sandals cut my feet to ribbons and cycling for 45 mins has left me with severe sunburn on one arm.
I will have to ask my supplier Intertech Steel near the airport before I hand over the deposit but as I said communication is not easy as my Thai is about as good as the girl's English but I suppose a 50,000 baht sale is peanuts to them.
The price is 500 baht per sq m with 25 mm pu insulation
Happy-Chap

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:08 am

Happy-Chap wrote:I will have to ask my supplier Intertech Steel near the airport before I hand over the deposit but as I said communication is not easy as my Thai is about as good as the girl's English but I suppose a 50,000 baht sale is peanuts to them.

I used Intertech Steel as my supplier and they were great. They sent out their rep (a girl), with samples and from there it was all done through a copy of the plans, me speaking to their manager who spoke English and my Thai builder. They informed me the distance they wanted the batons to be spaced after I chose the grade of Colorbond sheet and the thickness of insulation I wanted under it. I'm miles from them being out at Bang Bua Thong but they travelled out here and on the day they delivered bought all of it out by semi trailer.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Happy-Chap » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:45 am

Thanks Roger exactly what I wanted to know will definitely insist on getting the steel specs before I hand over deposit.
Happy-Chap

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:50 am

Happy-Chap wrote:definitely insist on getting the steel specs before I hand over deposit.

You're the one who tells them what thickness you want, the colour and the insulation thickness. The heavier the guage the less batons are required, not by much, but a few, but that also depends on the thickness of the batons. The reps will give you all the details once you select the the type of Colorbond you want.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Happy-Chap » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:45 am

IMG_20140608_090945.jpg
IMG_20140608_090945.jpg

So this is what I have selected P-750PU and colour is off white which has a solar reflectance index of 84, I actually wanted grey but they don't do it in that colour which is probably a good thing as the SRI is only 53. I have chosen Colorbond as when I was in Sydney I was surprised by the amount of houses with metal roofs I think in the original CTH forum the advice was to go with tiles as this was more beneficial with regard to resale value I have no plans to ever sell so with a 20 year warranty this in my opinion is my best option.
Sorry about double post and upside down picture have had lots of problems even getting online and Hotmail blocked my account as soon as I got here which is an absolute pain and which I am still trying to resolve.
Attachments
IMG_20140608_091012.jpg
IMG_20140608_091000.jpg
Happy-Chap

Postby Happy-Chap » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:17 pm

So on Monday I visited their office to pay the deposit and I asked for help with the steel sizes and spacing what ensued was an extremely frustrating 20 minutes with absolutely no progress until Khun Somchai obviously a manager of some sort who speaks excellent English appeared I explained the situation and he agreed to have a plan drawn up for me and email it to me. I mentioned the forum and explained the excellent service as Roger had posted.I drove down to the site as I knew the floor slabs were being delivered when I arrived they were in full swing and had finished concreting the house floor and had started on the balcony to my horror the steel was sitting on the slabs. In all fairness it is my fault although I showed my builder the chairs and explained it to him I had not expected them to be so quick and had not told him that was what I wanted he offered to raise the steel but it was too late so I told him to carry on. So the upshot is we now have a floor and although it is only 1.90 off the ground the views are spectacular. We are concreting the floor under the house and my instructions are plastic sheeting first and 18mm pvc rings to put the steel on I had hoped to be able to park the car under the house but 40mm depth isn't going to be strong enough. Never mind it will justify my decision to raise the bamboo hut and can park the car under that.

So checking my emails every 15 minutes nothing. So Tuesday I rang spoke to Khun Somchai who said yes the plan had been done and one of his girls would email it to me. We have a problem with the water supply sometimes on sometimes off it was off. So feeling dirty and hot I relented and booked into a hotel for the night 350 baht with air tbh I would have paid that just for the shower. I normally sleep on site in the bamboo hut but I have an infection in my foot and hand both are slowly healing thanks to the wonderful care at Bumrungrad so after having the best nights sleep I have had since I arrived I was woken by my wife ringing me at 6 o'clock I am afraid it was a brief conversation.
Wednesday morning still no email I rang Intertech Steel aka Rollform aka Solar Roofing was put through to Khun Somchai's extension no answer rang back was cut off rang back again cut off again. I have two phones rang with my other phone to be told that Khun Somchai was not in the office. I returned to Samut Prakaan. Thursday I rang spoke to Khun Somchai who assured me that emails had been sent. I had received nothing and had even checked it was still working I said I would pay the balance Friday.
Today I went to their office and the plan was produced at first I was given only an end elevation with steel specs but eventually a top elevation and finally I understand so I can explain to my builder. I did however point out that I had originally emailed them 28th May no reply. I did receive two emails from them the first a pdf showing deposit details and the second was a brief message in Thai, now I did attend school here to learn to read Thai but that was 5 years ago and I have forgotten, I asked for a translation but was never given one. The "plan" was never sent.
My conclusion TIT but has cost me valuable days
As my wife is in England I have to speak Thai which allows me to say quite a lot the problem is when they reply or change the subject and then oh dear.

As I have a doctors appointment tomorrow I will be back on site on Monday armed with a steel shopping list which I will calculate over the weekend.

A question I always read people talking about cleaning the steel before painting is this rust or degreasing? Help advice always welcome.

On a personal note sister in law gave birth so had a great family gathering and made loads of new friends.

Can't wait to see the roof on.

Roger I wish you a speedy recovery

As always Happy Chap
Happy-Chap

Postby pipoz » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:34 pm

Happy-Chap wrote:

Wednesday morning still no email I rang Intertech Steel aka Rollform aka Solar Roofing was put through to Khun Somchai's extension no answer rang back was cut off rang back again cut off again. Today I went to their office and the plan was produced at first I was given only an end elevation with steel specs but eventually a top elevation and finally I understand so I can explain to my builder. I did however point out that I had originally emailed them 28th May no reply. I did receive two emails from them the first a pdf showing deposit details and the second was a brief message in Thai, now I did attend school here to learn to read Thai but that was 5 years ago and I have forgotten, I asked for a translation but was never given one. The "plan" was never sent.

Can't wait to see the roof on.As always Happy Chap

Looks like you are off and running Happy-Chap, Congratulations. Be interested in seeing the picture that you post of your roof construction

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Happy-Chap » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:55 pm

Smart phone woes
Basically since I arrived day one I have been unwell and today I am feeling more comfortable. My wife gave me a smart phone which is brilliant for what it can do but I hate all that touch screen procedure, I have a bluetooth keyboard which solves most of the problems but my alternate email is only on my phone so I had only been checking my inbox yesterday I checked the spam and there were the missing emails. I have already apologised to Khun Somchai at Intertech and will do so again on my next and last visit to check on screw placements.

Next week will definitely have the roof on
Happy-Chap

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:58 pm

Happy-Chap wrote:Roger I wish you a speedy recovery

Thank you I go back under the knife on Sunday.
Happy-Chap wrote:I checked the spam and there were the missing emails. I have already apologised to Khun Somchai at Intertech and will do so again on my next and last visit to check on screw placements.

I'm pleased Intertech didn't let you down, they did a really really good job with me, it was one of the high points of my build.
I'm not impressed with so-called smart phones, especially Samsung whose touch screen rarely worked before I reverted back to iPhones. At least the Suzuki has an iPhone charger inbuilt, now all I have to do is buy the bracket for it..... when and if I ever get the car back from my daughter.
Good luck with the doctors at Bumrungrad.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Happy-Chap » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:55 pm

The saga goes on
I have managed to get the gps working so drove over to Intertech, Somchai came to the meeting room and went through the screw positions very thoroughly and I completely understand. However upon reviewing the invoice I am now getting 760 mm wide sheets not 750 mm as I was originally informed the original amount of screws 300 is not enough, ordered another 100. No screws were included for the wall flashing. The 300 original screws were not colour coded to match the roof and I had paid for 6.00 m of ridge capping and the roof is 7.40 m wide so original screws upgraded free extra screws and ridge capping ordered 1019.10 baht. It was suggested that the best thing was to take delivery once the steel structure was up. I spent a couple of hours building a small model out of coat hangers red for main ring beam connecting the 6 main posts 125 x 75 2.3mm 6.95Kg /m rectangle light blue 100 x 50 2.3mm 5.14Kg/m and pink for the purlins 50 x 50 2.3mm 3.34 Kg/m. showed it to my builder who instantly understood. Local steel stockist in Klaeng had none of the above but I already had called in at Thaiwatsadu in Chonburi to get a rough idea of price was informed that the largest size was 579 baht for a 6m length but they didn't have the smallest size in stock anyway had a rough idea of total cost about 12000 baht. When the local stockist had nothing shot over to Thaiwatsadu in Rayong after a painful 3 hours and at a cost of 16000 baht delivery was arranged for Thursday morning 9.00 am, Chonburi had made a mistake with price.
Motored down on Thursday arriving at 10 no steel but half an hour later truck pulls up with C section steel 6.9 Kg/ m was now 4.3 Kg/m but fed up with the whole process decided to accept delivery, these are substantial pieces of steel and had aready had to upgrade 50 x 50 ( out of stock) to 75 x 50 and seeing that the total weight of the roof 82 m2 is 150 kgs. I also think that the price would be double and like the fact that the C section enables me to paint all of the steel. Thursday nothing was done so Friday I started cleaning and painting the steel. Mid morning saw a truck and wondered what the large house next door had ordered now only to find that it was for me my roof had arrived!
Unloading started and the first sheet was dented contacted Somchai who apologised for the early delivery and has agreed to replace damaged sheet but wanted me to unpack all the sheets and inspect them, I declined as I want the sheets handled as little as possible which is why we had originally agreed to take delivery once the steel was erected.
Having painted 3 of the 5 large steels myself my builder suddenly turned up and when I left at 5.30 they had cleaned and spray painted 90% of all the steel in primer and gloss coat should be going on as we speak. I will be back on site to inspect structure check that welds have been painted and supervise installation of the roof which I estimate as max a couple of days.
Had a rant and rave at Thaiwatsadu mostly for my own enjoyment, but with absolutely no effect what so ever.

Once the roof is on will post a pic

Happy days
Happy-Chap

Postby Makmak456 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:14 pm

The day day my roof went up, a big weight off. Best was when I had PU sprayed on the underside. It made a huge difference in how hot the steel would get, and then transfer to the room.

Good luck with the rest of your build
Mark
Makmak456

Postby Cheeryble » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:29 am

Hello all

I notice HappyChap you are using screw-through instead of the hidden clips.
Im in the planning stage and thinking about colourbond roof.

The clips for me are one of the attractions, a kinda seamless roof with no exposed fixings.
(Is it right they cut to length, seamless top to bottom?)

My house will be on a hill very exposed and of course an overhang will catch the wind....but hey surely the clips must be designed strong enough for anything.
I spoke to a chap with a company on the Superhwy in CM very helpful and good English, and he said he didn't recommend hidden clips.
On further enquiry though it seems he was concerned I wouldn't find a roofer experienced to do them (build is in CR).
So I then said but I'm concerned about a limited life for the screws and especially their washers.
He said there were two grades, and I think he said they were rated for 6 and 10 years (may be a bit out).
In any case it means roof jobs in future when it might be avoided, and I wouldn't like to think about the dents which might appear.

So...Happy Chap or anyone, why not built in clips?

Second question:
I intend to have a ceiling following the roof line (one slab sloping roof), a one sided cathedral if you like.
What about rain noise?

Third question:
This is the roof of a bus station.

image.jpg

Anyway the foil underneath is falling off all over it's six years old (and exposed, no ceiling).
Is the Colorbond guaranteed for the insulation too?
(The roofing company chap showed me the choice of thicknesses of insulation, so presumably it is glued on locally?
Or not? Anyway is whoever does it licensed?)

Thanks!
Cheeryble

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:13 pm

As you can see I'm not "HappyChap"but I may have a few answers. Fred use colour bond with clips but he used spray foam not the colour bond installed insulation RR used the colourbond installed insulation I think with clips. I've used it with screws. The reason cor me using screws is that I have no ceiling so the wind can not only pull up but also push up so clips might not have been OK. RR used very long lengths if you take a look at his build you will see they run the length if his house.

The bus station roof has a cheep foam on it and delamination is not too unusual.
Sometimewoodworker

Next

Return to roofing