- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

MCR roofing tiles?

Postby oil » Thu May 29, 2014 3:54 am

I was talking recently with a Bristish Buidling Engineer which lives since long time in Thailand, about my idea of using metal roofing with reflective foil as roofng

and he told me in a email:

microconcrete (MCR) tiles is probably the best option in SE Asia. Lower quality brands last about 20+ years. Metal roofing is very noisy and overheats in the tropics unless you have an attic. You don't want an attic in the tropics, you want high sloped ceiling with a vent at the top plus good cross ventilation.

and i just wanted to write that here to take it into discussion,
naturally i believe that those cheap ass MCR tiles will heat up like stupid as well, but since they have no big thermal mass, they will be cool pretty quickly as well. From the way i know him, he is always looking for eco friendly solutions which also poor people could afford. So i gotta say that to maybe better understand his thinking patterns.

However when i interpret this post
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4476
correctly it really doesnt matter a lot what kinda roof you have you just need the silver foil, cause colder then air temperature it wont get

So what you guys think about MCR, and the issue of not having a attic at all.
oil

Re: MCR roofing tiles?

Postby fredlk » Thu May 29, 2014 5:10 am

oil wrote: Metal roofing is very noisy and overheats in the tropics unless you have an attic.

Another British Eggspurt talking rubbish. My metal roof isn't noisy at all and is cool to the touch.
fredlk

Postby oil » Thu May 29, 2014 1:04 pm

fredlk wrote:
oil wrote: Metal roofing is very noisy and overheats in the tropics unless you have an attic.

Another British Eggspurt talking rubbish. My metal roof isn't noisy at all and is cool to the touch.

i wouldnt care for the noisyness when it rains :) but i recall you got PU Foam under your metalroofing?
oil

Postby fredlk » Thu May 29, 2014 2:09 pm

oil wrote: i recall you got PU Foam under your metalroofing?

I have. And it's white so it reflects 92% of the sun's rays unlike anything else out there.
fredlk

Postby schuimpge » Thu May 29, 2014 8:30 pm

What always amazes me is that those 'experts' start talking rubbish about anything else except their own brilliant solution.
Once I see hints of that popping up, it's filed away as.. Oh, another one of those..
schuimpge

Postby oil » Fri May 30, 2014 2:20 am

schuimpge wrote:What always amazes me is that those 'experts' start talking rubbish about anything else except their own brilliant solution.
Once I see hints of that popping up, it's filed away as.. Oh, another one of those..
yeah, thats whats bothering me as well, some of them really have brilliant ideas, i just dont get why claim to know almost all, or better said judging stuff they havevnt tried.

I have to admit that i dont want to spend to much as well, i dont have kids here so afterall nothing can really belong to me unless we do some funny contruct which i am not eager to do as well, so my goal is to keep the costs low, my friends say i should do only rental, but for me its crucial to have a private pool when i live in a country which such hot climate, and all the houses i watched which had a pool where 1st way too expensive so that building really would pay off after just a couple of years, or the pool was way to small more like a joke to me, which i wouldnt even consider as a pool,

so i am trying to find the best of both worlds, i dont wanna spend on AAC blocks, even though they might make sense, i believe that double walls sytem will do the same trick for way less money,
and i wont do the foam below the roofing, aslo sounds great, but considering the costs it comes with i ll doubt i go for it.

So far i learned that from whatever i told my builders to do, or not to do, they always made it almost like i told them i dont want this or that, cause i failed the golden rule, to be always present, so no complaint here, its my fault that i wasnt always there.

just saying i am trying to get the best value for the least money out of it. While i still prefer to use more ecofriendly materials then the latest high tech crap, believing that i might walk on this planet another 40 years, there is no point in making a construction which lasts much longer,
oil

Postby Mike Judd » Fri May 30, 2014 6:13 am

Once again repeating myself from other posts, but the most common solution in Oz with metal roofs which are used here as much as any other country in the world, is double foil with air cells between (Which comes in various thicknesses according to cost) this is put down OVER the battens and the sheets get pressed into it when fixed. This deadens the rain noise enough to not be a problem and insulates as well. I have it on my roof here which is a roof and ceiling all in one with no roof space, so it works, I don't like rain waking me up either.
Mike Judd

Postby schuimpge » Fri May 30, 2014 6:57 am

Oil, check out JingJoe.. You can pack up your house and rebuild it everywhere.
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Return to roofing