- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Ridge Vent

Postby claynlr » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:55 pm

I have looked at alot of builds and have seen gable vents and roof mounted "whirly birds" mentioned as far as letting the hot air escape that builds up under the roof. Are ridge vents not available in Thailand? I am not sure how they would work with tile but have seen many used with metal roofing in the U.S. They are very functional as the ridge is the highest point in the roof and that is where the hot air will go. They stretch the length of the ridge except for the last 2' or so, thus letting heat escape the length of the ridge versus the small area a whirly bird covers and there is no need to cut a hole in the roof plane (leak?) The top of the vent would be covered with the same material as the actual roof with just a slight (maybe 1 1/2- 2"?) elevation above the roof for the venting on the side. Has anyone seen or used this method?
claynlr

Re: Ridge Vent

Postby sirineou » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:55 am

I have not seen them in Thailand, don't mean they don't have, I just have not seen them.
As you said, difficult to do with clay or cement tiles(they so have vented tiles), but IMO,easy to do with metal roofs.
I looked at the Blue Scope Steel website (they carry the Colorbond line) and all I could find was the non-vented ridge caps.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:28 am

The most affective way of ventilating the top of a roof that I have seen ,is to stop the roof near the top and then leave it open and start another over the top with a gap all around, like a hat on a hat if you get what I mean. I've seen it in Thailand on some factories.
Mike Judd

Postby claynlr » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:55 am

Yes Mike, that is exactly the theory. In the States it is manufactured sections maybe 6' long. They are made out of some kind of kind of material (flexible, maybe poly or something) that will take a nail or screw and has venting on the sides. It overlaps the roof material at the top. My experience with them is with asphalt shingles in US. The top is covered with lapped shingles so it looks like a regular ridge just elevated a bit. One would think that someone like Colorbond would have something that would fit right around the corrugation for a snug fit.
claynlr

Postby schuimpge » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:51 am

My factory has what Mike mentioned.
Top has a 3-4 meter wide opening.
On top of that is a large cap/hat that covers it.
The vent area is the full length of the factory and is about a meter high on both sides.
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:20 am

image.jpg
Vented roof

This works well, though it's designed as a space for a water tank. For ventilation only the upper roof could be lower.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby mechal55 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:15 pm

but have seen many used with metal roofing in the U.S. They are very functional as the ridge is the highest point in the roof and that is where the hot air will go. They stretch the length of the ridge except for the last 2' or so, thus letting heat escape the length of the ridge versus the small area a whirly bird covers and there is no need to cut a hole in the roof plane

[Link to other sites not permitted per forum rules mod)]
mechal55

Postby chippy72 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:22 pm

My builder is currently in the process of doing my roof. I am using the concrete shingle tile
I want to vent the ridge or high level tiles. Also is it possible to use a water proof membrane
Underneath the tiles and battens. Would appreciate any help.
chippy72

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:18 am

chippy72 wrote:My builder is currently in the process of doing my roof. I am using the concrete shingle tile
I want to vent the ridge or high level tiles. Also is it possible to use a water proof membrane

If you have already put the battens in place then it won't be effective. Waterproof membranes are usually placed on a solid surface as it then supports the membrane. And battens are put on top of the barrier.

If you have good tiles at the correct roof pitch then the waterproof membrane should be superfluous.

However a radiant barrer membrane is a different matter and that can easily be fitted anytime befor the tiles.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby pipoz » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:12 am

chippy72 wrote:My builder is currently in the process of doing my roof. I am using the concrete shingle tile

Hi and I don't know what Brand Name of Shingle Tile you are using, but I used a CPAC Neustile Trend style (Shingle look) like in the picture below. If buy chance you are using the CPAC Neustile, they do make some special roof vent tiles, but not in all colours. They didn't have many when I was building the roof, but I think they may have expanded their range since then.

The Neustile Ridge Vent Tile in the picture below (second picture) seems to be a new addition to their range and may be suitable to your shingle style of roof tile, along the ridge. I am now looking at putting either the Neustile Ridge Vent Tile on my roof, if I can get it in the same colour, or maybe I will just have to paint it to match

I also have the DRYTEC Roof Membrane system under my ridge type and from what I have been told so far SCG-HOMEMART do what they need (modify it) and install the Neustile Ridge Vent Tile on top of it and to let the roof breath

Not sure if this is the answer you are looking for

pipoz
Attachments
1 IMG_2383 (M).JPG
CPAC Neustile Roof Tile
Neustile Ridge Vent Tile.jpg
Neustile Ridge Vent Tile
Neustile Pipe Vent Ridge Tile.jpg
Neustile Pipe Vent Ridge Tile
Picture 6 - CPAC Roof Vents and Special Roof Tile.jpg
CPAC Roof Vents and Special Roof Tile
pipoz

Postby chippy72 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:35 pm

Thanks. I'm not sure what the shingle is called they are coming from global in udon. Where were yours from and if you don't mind me asking how much per tile, from global they are 29baht. Do you know if you can get a membrane to use on the whole of the roof. Like what we have in the UK. Easy because it is nailed on underneath the roof batten.
chippy72

Postby pipoz » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:00 pm

chippy72 wrote:Thanks. I'm not sure what the shingle is called they are coming from global in udon. Where were yours from and if you don't mind me asking how much per tile, from global they are 29baht. Do you know if you can get a membrane to use on the whole of the roof. Like what we have in the UK. Easy because it is nailed on underneath the roof batten.

I bought mine from SCG-HOMEMART, up near HOME PRO in Udon Thani, in July last year. Apparently SCG-HOMEMART is the Agent for CPAC Neustile range of roof tiles. I would send you the Brochure, but have to reduce the file size first

The full pricing details are on Page 2 of Udon Thani Happy House, but in summary,

I received two quotation from Home Mart, Udon Thani (in Thai that covered the main tiles, plus ridge ties and a whole number of other accessories? Quotations are on Page 3

Prestige Horizon Tile (Flat Shingle Style Look) : For supply only of 2454 No main tiles plus accessories ( 216 m2 of actual roof area surface) it is TB 135,218 = TB 626 per m2. The main roof tiles are priced at TB 32 each and looks something like the picture below

Neustile Trend Tile (Flat Shingle Style Look) : For supply only of 2315 No main tiles plus accessories ( 216 m2 of actual roof area surface) it is TB 164,322 = TB 760 per m2. The main roof tiles are priced at TB 48 each, which is about 10% more that I expected. Maybe if she gets a Home Mart Discount Card, I can get a cheaper tile price?? Think it looks something like the picture below

If you work out the cost of just your main roof tiles (from the unit tile price) and then add another 33 - 40% to that cost/figure, for what appears to be the cost of all the add on accessories, then you seem to come up with your Total Home Mart - CPAC Quotation price. (Its a shame that I can't read Thai). Hope this helps someone planning their roof budget

pipoz
pipoz

Postby chippy72 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:36 pm

Thanks I'm going to go with the shingle at globle, but will get my builder to go to home mart and get the vented ridge. I'm also having cavity walls which I'm having weep/vent holes in (Bought over from the UK),so am keen to get as much ventilation and airflow as possible to rid of any damp in the cavity. Along with vented soffits I'm hoping that I'll have a very cool roof
chippy72

Postby pipoz » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:35 pm

chippy72 wrote:Thanks I'm going to go with the shingle at globle, but will get my builder to go to home mart and get the vented ridge. I'm also having cavity walls which I'm having weep/vent holes in (Bought over from the UK),so am keen to get as much ventilation and airflow as possible to rid of any damp in the cavity. Along with vented soffits I'm hoping that I'll have a very cool roof

I actually had an issue with my Roofer when he was installing the roof and I asked him to incorporate a non standard roof fan-venting system, similar to one of those below, and he said no " It will affect Roof Warranty". What a load of F...kn Crap.

I can't see why any of these cant be fitted into a roof tile (they are made for exactly that reason) before the roof tile is placed in position, as they all come with under/over flashing. I think he just cant be bothered cutting the hole in the tile, properly. :roll: WHF, I will do it myself later and then get someone younger to go up on the roof and slip one tile out and slide my modified one in, close to the Ridge. How hard can it be.

RETROFIT - I will probably pay one from his roofing team to come round on the weekend and do it. So I wouldn't loose to much sleep over it, if they wont do it during the roof tile installation. Retrofit Steps,

1.Hunt around and find a vent and or fan that suits your Shingle Roof tile size
2.Then find someone capable of cutting a hole in your roof tile
3.Fit it properly yourself and make sure you use a good sealant
4.Then find some other younger capable person to climb up on your roof later and slide it into position.

PS: I had my Roofer come back to correct some tiles that looked like they were sit up a bit high and looked a slightly lighter colour. They came back one weekend pulled up six roof tiles from the middle section of the roof elevation, then put another six new tiles back in and it looked OK. So, if he can do that, then surely he can go up onto the roof slip one tile out and slip mine back in its place :roll: :lol:

pipoz
Attachments
CFM Air Systems.jpg
CFM Air Systems
Centrifugal-Tiled Roof Fan 150mm.jpg
Centrifugal-Tiled Roof Fan 150mm
Solar Attic Fan.jpg
Solar Attic Fan
Solar Attic Fan.jpg (16.92 KiB) Viewed 710 times
pipoz

Postby chippy72 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:44 pm

I'm going to insist on the ridge vent that you posted a picture of. I jut think it will be a lot simpler. Thanks for your help I will also look at the tile vents.
chippy72

Return to roofing