- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

foam under the roof?

Postby roberterik » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:19 am

Dear members,
Does anybody has experience with the foam spraying under the roof for waterproofing/insulation?
Curious to get some info: how durable, what are the negative aspects, what are reliable companies?
I have a ceramic tile roof and every heavy rain I have some small leakage, and so far we could not find the location.
I have alufoil under the tiles, which makes location leakage difficult.
roberterik

Re: foam under the roof?

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:16 pm

roberterik wrote:Dear members,
Does anybody has experience with the foam spraying under the roof for waterproofing/insulation?
Curious to get some info: how durable, what are the negative aspects, what are reliable companies?
I have a ceramic tile roof and every heavy rain I have some small leakage, and so far we could not find the location.

Fred is the guru take a look at his "Building my house in Sattahip" thread
Sometimewoodworker

Postby fredlk » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:33 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
roberterik wrote:Dear members,

Fred is the guru take a look at his "Building my house in Sattahip" thread

My roof is not tiles, but metal sheet. I have a friend who had his leaky tiled roof sprayed underneath with PU-Foam and is still very happy with the result 7 years after he had it done.
The only company I seem to recall hearing mentioned in Thailand was Lohr or something like that.
fredlk

Postby roberterik » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:48 pm

Thanks Fred,
Looks the foam is a good solution for waterproofing.
I also learned that the foil has to be removed?
I have seen an advert regular in the BKK Post newpaper.
Anybody experience with this company?
roberterik

Postby English Tim » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi Fredlk , yes, i have had a roof sprayed with foam here in Pattaya it was done by the German ran P.V.C. window company on the Sukhumvit ( towards Banglamung, there is indeed another German Co. Lohr Soi 12 Naklua ) and at that time a few years ago it was B450 sqm . We had it sprayed to a new corrugated fibre roof obviously there are quite a few benefits , noise reduction , waterproofing etc., but personaly i would get my existing roof watertight and then be more inclined to put the insulation wrapped in foil laid onto my ceilings, even with the spray foam and even assuming there is attic vetilation the attic will still be hot due to the ambient air temperature better to stop any cool air from your A/C's going out through the ceilings into the attic, similary the insulation will help stop the warm air going down into your rooms, hope this is of help ? Tim.
English Tim

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:07 pm

roberterik,
In regards to the ads in the Bangkok Post; that company has been around a long long time (over 10 years from memory) so they must either be very rich, or doing something right. I have never heard anyone complain (in our village) about their roof after it had foam sprayed in it. I have noticed though that they also have rotating vents in the roof and have normally insulated the ceilings.
Roger Ramjet

Postby John » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:52 pm

Never ever foam spray the underside of a tiled roof because the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages in the long term. Of course, those selling this product will strongly disagree.
Foam spraying the underside of a roof for waterproofing is a ridiculous idea.

Vent the roof and insulate the ceilings.

Anyone in the process of having reflective foil fitted should avoid having the foil wrapped over ridges and valleys.
John

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:29 am

John,
It's pointless saying it doesn't work, unless: 1. You post the reasons for or against 2. You state your experience
None of us on this forum sell any products that I know of.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Makmak456 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:14 am

+1 to RR post.
Jhon why do you think PU foam is not a good product ?????
Makmak456

Postby Maseratimartin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:30 am

Yes...I was long time waiting for another person who does appreciate technical correct solution....John you are my friend!

Foam under tiles is like foam in body cavaties in cars to smear bondo over it!

Build the roof correct and it will not leak!

A proper done foil does help...especially at too low angle roofs for additional water protections, but then under the purlins and with a conter purlin!
Maseratimartin

Postby Makmak456 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:43 am

PU foam is not a fix for a leaking roof. It IS a thermal break to stop the IR heating, and it is waterproof as a side benifit.
Makmak456

Postby schuimpge » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:23 am

Add my few cents here:

1. Lohr, the company I used for my roof. Good service, warranty for leakage properly executed, see my example below...(Amazing but it does exist in Thailand), decent and experienced people, deliver a fast and good job.
2. Price is indeed as mentioned, somewhere in the 450/sqm range. Depends on type of roof, accessibility etc. They come in for a first check and to calculate the roof-area.
After that, 1 day job to do the foam.
3. They guarantee waterproofing.
4. The roof gets extremely well protected (burglar proof, need a sledge-hammer to get through that stuff)
see the picture attached of my construction guy trying to remove some excess foam during renovation of our house.
Yes, he had to use a large hammer-drill to knock that piece off! It still took him 20 minutes to remove it.
To me that is exactly what I want to see under my roof as townhouses are commonly visited through the roof by a burglar here in Thailand.
5. Structural support, it gets around all the steel beams and glues beams and roof-cover together.
6. Rust proofing of the roof steel
7. A tiled roof becomes one solid roof, meaning that a storm has no chance at all to do damage. Zero....
8. Critter proof. Termites don't like the stuff and other critters simply don't get through it.

My next house and whatever next house after that will get this treatment straight away.
It's a thermal insulation with so many extra benefits..there's nothing that can beat it IMHO.

I had a difficult roof (In Europe they'd say: impossible access to the roof with no access hatch and literally having to get long bamboo stairs in the attic crossing over the main air-well in the house which is 7-8 meters high).. But they managed without damage and finished everything without trouble.
In the subsequent raining season, I discovered 1 leak, which in no time, they came and repair.
Problem came back, turned out that there was trouble on the outside, with water hitting through the concrete with rain/wind from the west. This would soak the wall and then start dripping inside the attic.
Even though not their mistake, they still came back immediately, sprayed foam on the outside wall and roof in that spot (not visible from the ground.) No charge or any questions asked.
Roof has never leaked again.

IMGP8152.jpg
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:37 am

Maseratimartin wrote:Yes...I was long time waiting for another person who does appreciate technical correct solution....John you are my friend!

Foam under tiles is like foam in body cavaties in cars to smear bondo over it!

Build the roof correct and it will not leak!

A proper done foil does help...especially at too low angle roofs for additional water protections, but then under the purlins and with a conter purlin!

It is quite obvious that a proper built roof will not leak. But I have a townhouse and there are design flaws that I can not change anymore. And replacing that roof is far more costly than spraying foam.
Yes, foil does help. So does PU-Foam. Which one is better? For me I'd go for the foam. Can't beat the additional benefits of it.
Look at Fred's house. If ever someone has to get on his color-bond roof, there's no chance of damage to it because of the structural support of the Foam underneath.
Same for any sheet-roof/tile-roof. No damage possible.

1 argument against foil: It gets dirty and critters will get in, under and on top of it. Eventually, you'll have to replace it. Dirty foil looses its reflecting capabilities.
PU-Foam just sits there and stays there, no problems with moist, dirt, anything.

A proper done foil helps...sure.. Proper ventilation of the attic is what helps as well.
Combine ventilation, PU-foam under the roof and insulation on top of the ceilings and you have a real solution....

Cheers,
Luc
Last edited by schuimpge on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:43 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:John,
It's pointless saying it doesn't work, unless: 1. You post the reasons for or against 2. You state your experience
None of us on this forum sell any products that I know of.

RR..nailed it...I'm very curious to what John will give as disadvantages...

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby John » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:47 pm

If a tiled roof sprayed with foam develops a leak it may go unnoticed for many years.

Trapped water can damage steel very quickly, more so when it gets diverted to the inside of hollow roof structures.

Its is extremely difficult to locate leaks on a tiled roof sprayed with foam.

This information is from years of experience in the construction industry not from a quick search on Google.

If a product has not become a standard, consider it carefully.
John

Next

Return to roofing