- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

SCC Stay Cool Rt 37 or Polynum Ultra

Postby idcpeter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi,

the roof under the CPAC Monier roof tiles are reach 52 Degree Celsius. I want to use some insulation now!

Someone from the forum have experience with the SCC Stay Cool Rt 37 oder Polynum Ultra?

Any other advice for the keep it more cool!

Thanks!

Peter
idcpeter

Re: SCC Stay Cool Rt 37 or Polynum Ultra

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:33 am

idcpeter wrote:Hi,

the roof under the CPAC Monier roof tiles are reach 52 Degree Celsius. I want to use some insulation now!

Someone from the forum have experience with the SCC Stay Cool Rt 37 oder Polynum Ultra?

Any other advice for the keep it more cool!

Thanks!

Peter
spray with pu foam. See Fred's build
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Maybe some might not agree, but in all my years of experience with all types of roofing, I have found that insulation will reduce the heat transfer from the sun throughout the day, but it also stops the natural build up of heat rising in the house itself from getting out. Therefore you need some form of ventilation in the roof, either built into the design like I have myself with vented gables, or Whirlybirds near the ridges. Once the build up of hot air in the roof is allowed to escape , the cooler evening air comes in to replace it naturally. We have all had the experience of sitting outside in the evening because it's cooler, so we need to get rid of that hot blanket that is covering all the rooms. Even if you are installing Air-Con you wouldn't want it to be fighting hot air trapped in the roof. As my build (Slow build between Khon Kaen and Kosumpisi) will show, I am trying to do with-out Air-Con.
Mike Judd

Postby Maseratimartin » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:09 pm

Do not spray PU-foam on tiles! Good luck if you one day need to replace one...or if the foam lifts some tiles when expanding...

Fred's roof is a differnt story and there sure the best choice....not with tiles.

I cannot completly agree to the hot air trap story.
If you do not have AC, you will at least have ventilations and they should circulate the air well.
Additional it helps to open some windows for natural air flow.

Correct is sure that a good vented roof space will further help!
That's why I say that the reflective foil is a no need part.
This foil would be great if you use counter purlins and create a vented space between tiles and foil...think about where the foil should reflect the heat to...back through the tiles is like swimming against the current.

From my experience the best way is to use a well ventilated roof space as a buffer and put the isolation on top of the ceiling.
Maseratimartin

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:31 pm

Maseratimartin wrote:Do not spray PU-foam on tiles! Good luck if you one day need to replace one...or if the foam lifts some tiles when expanding...

I know of several people who have sprayed foam under tiles for exactly the reasons you say not to.

In Thailand one of the ways to gain entry to a house it to lift tiles. So that is a good reason to spray. :roll:
I have never known correctly laid tiles to lift. So that is a questionable reason not to spray.
Once the tiles have been sprayed there is a much smaller chance that any tiles would break as the foam adds strength to them and strengthens the whole roof. So that is a good reason to spray. :roll:

This spraying method, especially very popular in Thailand, is used not only against heavy leaks but helps also as insulation against the enormous heat the roofs constantly face.
This tropic heat actually is the cause that the steel structure, which most roofs in that part of the world are built on, expands and contracts all the time. By doing so, the sun-battered steel structure causes the roof tiles to dislodge and slowly creates small openings between the roof tiles, through which rain water can run into, creating leaks that can cause much damage to plastered ceilings and electric wiring.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby geordie » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:19 pm

I have to agree with sometime woodworker on the foam there is no reason it would lift a tile and it does stop heat penitration extemely well although not cheap it can be broken down with solvent acetone is what i used in my youth (boatbuilding) The foil if fitted at the same time as the roof does have good benifit as long as the roof can vent at the ridge and the eaves the air trapped between the roof and foil rises via convection drawing cooler air from the eaves the shiny side is downwards because a polished surface does not radiate heat well but it must have enough ventilation to allow an aiflow

As a security measure i would have thought the tiled roof on metal battons would be reasonably secure anyway if they lift the tiles they have to cut the batons ? again if foam is used the tile will be virtually impossible to lift making it even more secure broken tiles are not an issue the foam will stop it leaking :lol: :lol:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby pipoz » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:46 pm

idcpeter wrote:Hi,

the roof under the CPAC Monier roof tiles are reach 52 Degree Celsius. I want to use some insulation now! Someone from the forum have experience with the SCC Stay Cool Rt 37 oder Polynum Ultra? Any other advice for the keep it more cool!

Thanks! Peter

I was looking at this in Home Center up Udon Thani last week. Here is a picture with the price
Attachments
IMG_0776 (Small).jpg
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Here is another one called UniFiber (much thiner and cheaper) and then there was a thinner Stay Cool R 27
Attachments
Uni Fiber IMG_0780 (Small).jpg
Uni Fiber IMG_0779 (Small).jpg
R 27 IMG_0784 (Small).jpg
pipoz

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:41 pm

First, I would say here in Oz ,noted for it's hot sun, I have never seen a new roof,with either tiles or steel Colourbond that didn't have some form of insulation under. With Colourbond it's usually a foil blanket that the steel presses into so as to deaden the rain noise, as well as reflect the heat. With tiles just reflective foil ,that doesn't permit the heat from the sun to penetrate after it's come through the tiles. I think it has been proved beyond question that foil helps stop the passage of heat in either direction. Like a vacuum flask that keeps drinks hot or cold with it's silver lining. Probably if you are going to have Air-Con throughout the house, then just insulate the ceiling completely to reduce the space that has to be cooled. My main point was if you do insulate a roof, it needs ventilation to let out the heat build up from below over the daytime. I have all the windows and sliding doors in each room opposite each other to make use of any breezes available and also to create air flow naturally as the hot air rises out through my vented gables. As mentioned before, if needed I have made provision for 2 large fans facing the gables in the roof to blast out the hot air for 30 min or so, if it doesn't happen naturally. Some would say, "why bother"? just put in Air-Con, but both I and my Partner don't get on with it, hence the whole design revolves around natural air flow as much as possible. Only when we move in will we see if it works ,although it's got to be heaps better than her present Thai house where we stay on visits, dead end bed rooms off of a corridor, un-insulated iron roof and limited windows.
Mike Judd

Postby pipoz » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:41 pm

Has anyone used MIRON A Plus Roof Insulation

HomePro quoted me 7,550 Baht per 25 m2 roll of MIRON A Plus ,Thickness 10 mm, which equates TB 302 per m2, (Supply only).

Sound expensives compared to STAYCOOL. I haven't cross checked the performance stats between the two

pipoz
Attachments
MIRON Roof Insulation 006.jpg
Miron Roof Insulation
MIRON Roof Insulation 006 A.jpg
Miron Roof Insulation
MIRON Roof Insulation 006 A.jpg (14.06 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
pipoz

Postby Bangyai » Tue May 19, 2015 11:18 am

pipoz wrote:Here is another one called UniFiber (much thiner and cheaper) and then there was a thinner Stay Cool R 27

I'd be interested to know if UniFiber are still in business and where their products can be bought. The last time I purchased this kind of insulation was about 5 years ago and it worked a treat. I bought the 2" rolls and back then they were just over 100 baht a roll. Now all I can find is Stay Cool which only comes in 3 or 6 inch choices at 320 baht a roll the cheapest.Looking on the net it appears that it is also made by Petch brand but can't find anyone who sells it. I have asked around why all of a sudden Stay Cool from Chang is dominating the marked and have been told 75% of the shares in the company are now royaly owned. Don't know if this is true but would like to know what happened to the other suppliers ?
Bangyai

Postby pipoz » Tue May 19, 2015 11:49 am

Bangyai wrote:
pipoz wrote:Here is another one called UniFiber (much thiner and cheaper) and then there was a thinner Stay Cool R 27

I'd be interested to know if UniFiber are still in business and where their products can be bought. The last time I purchased this kind of insulation was about 5 years ago and it worked a treat. I bought the 2" rolls and back then they were just over 100 baht a roll. Now all I can find is Stay Cool which only comes in 3 or 6 inch choices at 320 baht a roll the cheapest.Looking on the net it appears that it is also made by Petch brand but can't find anyone who sells it. I have asked around why all of a sudden Stay Cool from Chang is dominating the marked and have been told 75% of the shares in the company are now royaly owned. Don't know if this is true but would like to know what happened to the other suppliers ?

Hi and I haven't looked at insulation for a while.

Ultimately I didn't need to put any insulation in the ceiling space of my Build and the house is quite cool, so I didn't buy any

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 19, 2015 1:46 pm

Bangyai wrote:I'd be interested to know if UniFiber are still in business and where their products can be bought. The last time I purchased this kind of insulation was about 5 years ago and it worked a treat. I bought the 2" rolls and back then they were just over 100 baht a roll. Now all I can find is Stay Cool which only comes in 3 or 6 inch choices at 320 baht a roll the cheapest.Looking on the net it appears that it is also made by Petch brand but can't find anyone who sells it. I have asked around why all of a sudden Stay Cool from Chang is dominating the marked and have been told 75% of the shares in the company are now royaly owned. Don't know if this is true but would like to know what happened to the other suppliers ?

Siam Cement Group doesn't like competition http://www.scg.co.th/en/01corporate_profile/ it is almost totally owned by the Crown Property Bureau http://www.crownproperty.or.th/en/intro and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Property_Bureau . There is a recent book on the activities of the CPB, but it was banned in Thailand. If you wish to explore a little, there was a book review done here http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandal ... /thailand/ . There are also articles that link to various other web sites. It is not a subject that Thais are permitted to talk about.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Bangyai » Tue May 19, 2015 3:59 pm

^ Thanks for that Roger , pretty much what I expected but for obvious reasons did not want to ' go there '.

Still that pretty well settles it for me and I won't be buying the stuff at those monopoly prices. There are alternatives and I am not in a hurry.

One option I have been mulling over is polystyrene sheets ... The white stuff they use to pack televisions etc. You can buy this in slabs or rolls but I haven't checked the price yet plus not sure if it would be a fire hazard.

I read about one bloke who insulated his ceiling with old newspapers ! Talk about fire hazard !
Bangyai

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue May 19, 2015 6:21 pm

Bangyai wrote:^ Thanks for that Roger , pretty much what I expected but for obvious reasons did not want to ' go there '.

Still that pretty well settles it for me and I won't be buying the stuff at those monopoly prices. There are alternatives and I am not in a hurry.

One option I have been mulling over is polystyrene sheets ... The white stuff they use to pack televisions etc. You can buy this in slabs or rolls but I haven't checked the price yet plus not sure if it would be a fire hazard.

I read about one bloke who insulated his ceiling with old newspapers ! Talk about fire hazard !

Don't use polystyrene unless you want to make a place for rats to stay. Fred did, they did. :!:
Sometimewoodworker

Next

Return to roofing