- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Roofing Steel

Postby sstipetic » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:52 pm

New poster here, so sorry if this has been covered before.
I am building a house as most of us have or are and I want to know what steel is required for the roof, I am using CPAC tiles so will be heavy.
Also does anyone know the current prices of the following in Ubon?
Red brick 4 holes (direct from factory)
RB6 2hun bow
RB9 3hun dem
RB12 4hun dem
and the steel for the roof that is in my initial question.
Also are the CPAC roof tiles cheaper in Ubon or another part of Thailand.

Thanks
sstipetic

Re: Roofing Steel

Postby payebacs » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi stipet. How did you come by this list? Is it on a house plan and which steel does it suggest.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby sstipetic » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Yes the rebar is from the house plans we got drawn up, I'm pretty sure the rebar is ok for the contstruction we looking at, it just the roof steel I need help with and then prices of all the stuff around Ubon. The drawings say about the steel for the roof, but my current house has a lot different grade steel in it even with the same roof tiles going on, so I wanted to try find out which grade steel is better from what others have come across. The steel in the plan suggests 125x50x20x3.2 and 100x50x20x3.2 and 1"x1"
sstipetic

Postby payebacs » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:06 am

That's a good question then sstipet. Do you have a copy of the building plan and some photos of the land. I can't help you with information like that cos I'm still learning but should I start building it's helpful to open one's own Your Building Story thread called MY Housebuild or whatever for all questions and answers and learning experience for all at the start middle and end on all aspects of your build. One CTH person was saying just yesterday that on most plans it will, even should say 'or as site conditions dictate' so a good overview of the entire project is I think worthwhile for providing educated answers and beneficial commentary about things building related. Have you already a quote of your own on those rebars.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:02 am

sstipetic wrote:Yes the rebar is from the house plans we got drawn up, I'm pretty sure the rebar is ok for the contstruction we looking at, it just the roof steel I need help with and then prices of all the stuff around Ubon. The drawings say about the steel for the roof, but my current house has a lot different grade steel in it even with the same roof tiles going on, so I wanted to try find out which grade steel is better from what others have come across. The steel in the plan suggests 125x50x20x3.2 and 100x50x20x3.2 and 1"x1"

I found that all the steel we just bought for our buildings were quoted in inches for the size and metric for length and wall thickness. So your sizes don't quite make sense. Are they 5"x2" and 20 of them at 3.2mm (most likely) or 125 2"x4/5"x3.2mm(probably doesn't exist). The standard length is 6M.

We decided to just buy from Do-Home for the majority and then from the local shop for extras. I don't have prices here in Japan but will have them in a months time.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby sstipetic » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:15 am

The sizes are in mm 125mmx50mmx20x3.2mm (the 20 I dont know what it is) and other is 100mmx50mmx20x3.2mm and 1x1 inches x3.2mm. We are about 2 hours from Ubon and my father-in-law said that the steel and red bricks are cheapest there so I wanted to find the best prices from there. But I also need to make sure the steel is the right size or if it is to big or to small.
sstipetic

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:27 am

sstipetic wrote:The sizes are in mm 125mmx50mmx20x3.2mm (the 20 I dont know what it is) and other is 100mmx50mmx20x3.2mm and 1x1 inches x3.2mm. We are about 2 hours from Ubon and my father-in-law said that the steel and red bricks are cheapest there so I wanted to find the best prices from there. But I also need to make sure the steel is the right size or if it is to big or to small.

So what does "125mmx50mmx20x3.2mm" mean? As I said if you go into a normal shop it will be quoted in inches. Hence 5"x2" is near enough 125mmx50mm and 3.2mm is the wall thickness but what is the 20?

http://ubonwatsadu.co.th/default will be the place to ask
Sometimewoodworker

Postby sstipetic » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:37 am

Yes it is 5inches x 2inches by 3.2mm thick. They come in 6m lengths. But what I need to know is, is the 5inches x2inches to big or to small. I thought that in my current house we have 4inches by 2inches by 3.2mm and 80mm by 50mm by 3.2mm.
sstipetic

Postby splitlid » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:52 am

the dimensions given are for C sections. hence the 20mm dimension.
the 100mm stuff will be for rafters, the 125mm stuff for wall plates? ridge beams and otter structural/bearing members.
the 1 inch stuff is for battons/perlins.
if it says use it on the drawings, then use it in the build.
splitlid

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:45 am

sstipetic wrote:Yes it is 5inches x 2inches by 3.2mm thick. They come in 6m lengths. But what I need to know is, is the 5inches x2inches to big or to small. I thought that in my current house we have 4inches by 2inches by 3.2mm and 80mm by 50mm by 3.2mm.

The only way to get a good answer is to talk to someone who has access to the right software or training. And then you will need to give a lot more detail. I can't help but I know that things like: roof pitch, kind of roofing material, location of house (to allow for wind load calculations), roof overhang etc may, and probably will, affect the answer you get.

However since you ask "I wanted to try find out which grade steel is better from what others have come across." That is very easy to answer. Bigger or thicker is always stronger. So if price is not part of the calculations then it's better.

As Splitlid says if it is specified in the drawings then use it in the build. You can beef up the strength by using box section instead of C section. We found the difference in cost was minimal.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby sstipetic » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Ok, I think I have seen a demo of a roof in homemart. They quoted 1800baht per sqm for all materials and labour kind of excessive and they would be using much much lighter steel than what I was planning, so I think this will be ok and pricewise I think it will be ok. However I am still wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on costings of steel and red bricks from Ubon, we are heading there this week to price up everything.
Red bricks 4 holes
25x25x3.2mm
100x50x20x3.2mm
125x50x20x3.2mm
RB6 light (2 hun bow)
RB9 full (3 hun dem)
RB12 full (4 hun dem)
sstipetic

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:11 pm

sstipetic wrote:Ok, I think I have seen a demo of a roof in homemart. They quoted 1800baht per sqm for all materials and labour kind of excessive and they would be using much much lighter steel than what I was planning, so I think this will be ok and pricewise I think it will be ok. However I am still wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on costings of steel and red bricks from Ubon, we are heading there this week to price up everything.

sstipetic wrote:25x25x3.2mm
100x50x20x3.2mm

6M lengths
4'X2' (100x50) box section "B" grade THB 529 There are three grades A B C I'm guessing that it is wall thickness.
1 1/2" square (no grade given) THB 271
Do-Home (Ubon Watsadu) Khon Kaen. Aug 1st.

The advice from our professional (20 years overseas) welder was to use box section as it is much stronger.

YMMV
Sometimewoodworker

Postby bmisteel » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:38 pm

Yes it is 5inches x 2inches by 3.2mm thick. They come in 6m lengths. But what I need to know is, is the 5inches x2inches to big or to small. I thought that in my current house we have 4inches by 2inches by 3.2mm and 80mm by 50mm by 3.2mm.
bmisteel

Return to roofing