- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Roofing cost enquiry

Postby otis-a » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:09 am

foot notes
my work is just u plain jane thaicon x
ceiling
used the T bar with gyp tiles over which is laid ''bat'' or rolled insulation at top floor w/o complaints from either meself nor with guys running cable for tv n inet - as just pop up tiles n run cables - guess is a good reason 90% usa commercial building use the t bar armstrongs cost 12k/144sm or 1/12 or 0.08k tb/sm
'
house roof
was some rework as wifes father not pleased with steel angles on front balcony but had about 8m of C sectionsteel left over
complexity- medium- there are 4 splash pans under the 4 V sections+ added conwood wavey forms at eves juction and roof to keep big bugs nbirds n bats out
eves made with the elephant brand sheets of what most people use for ceilings & these sheets attached to wooden struts : pics in griffith house titled eve details
the roof shingles literature details steel requirements for assorted roof geometries but seems main supports are 2'' C with 1.5'' c's for minors
steel primer: silver
column caps: none welded to rebar extending out from column ends- some recommend steel column caps ?
Columns ties: insisted each column be tied with north & south 2'' steel C run horizontal to each adjacent column and welded up & reprimered after weld slag chipped off with chipping hammer

garage roof
shape: tilted L (as seen in jazzmans hotel roof)
eves: none
ceiling: none
steel primer: red
columns: precast & chipped back to rebar for welding C sections
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby otis-a » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:36 am

clairity check:

Columns ties: insisted each column be tied with north & south 2'' steel C run

should read

Columns ties: insisted each center column be tied with north/south & east/west 2'' steel C runs to form a cross (X) when viewed in plan view
center outside beams plan steel is run to for a T
corner outside beam steel is ''L'' shaped

again
manufacturer literature provides framing details and spec's : to which an mature as my self would refer; but not required for experienced builder- see jazzman notes

if u just want steel costs then my basis would be 1.2/2 or 600tb/sm of floor plan area & on that basis it seems u total area is 140sm at 70sm/floor ? So 600x70=60k tb less 30% or 42k tb for u steel?

Maybe u need actual bom to get more accurate?
otis-a

Postby Sunpax » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:27 am

This what i get....will me only the main structure without the small roof on left side

thank's

Ps it will on... so maybe not the good design ! panels of 150 cms long
Sunpax

Postby Sunpax » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:47 pm

If I calculate good ..I will need 26 pieces (13 on each side ) of 6 m long at 250 bahts each...+ the big iron beam to put on the top of the wall...+ 16 pieces of 6 m ? of aluminium or iron ?
well if its even all the same...will be 26 + 16 = 42 x 250 bahts...loll = 10500 bahts !
Sunpax

Postby sezze » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:33 am

Are you sure about the 250baht per piece price ?
From the plan i see you only have C sections steel and i think the structural is 2C ( so welded together if i understand correct ) .
Now , for my roof which is bit bigger it cost me 29k . I looked at the pics from b4 and i counted how many i had . I had 20 pieces of O ( or D whatever you call it ) steel and 34 C pieces and a lot of thin aluminium screw on type things ( the stuff they use to attach the roof to the structure ) and a bucket of paint / thinner and welding steel .
I guess your roofstructure will not go lower then 17k and not above 25k without the roof itself . You might be right about the nr of steel required , i check it out later , but you forget the alumium things ( 1 piece is cheap cheap but you need a few of them ) and the bucket of steelprotective paint , also a couple of baht . I see if i can post a few of the pictures of my structure b4 the roof is put on , so you can see how they did it .
sezze

Postby Sunpax » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:51 am

Thanck Seeze...will be good to know your roof surface in m2...
Sunpax

Postby otis-a » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:57 am

thanks seeze for 2nd opinion any pics would be good. Wizzed thru som lit n bldg store y'dy but was propritary support products n back of that book & what done here is just plane jane. For mine own sake will try a sketck n measure for carport roof support. It is small so no )( as u mention but the ][ is def starter for any large roof :
as is tying beams : why i tie beams with horizontal sections on main house?
1. It provided for columns that are anchored both top n bottom to reduce column flexure, movement n possible worse events such as roof support failure.
2. N shaking / quaking event i worry less about failure. Each force vector is resolved into vertical n horizontal components by sin n cos of support angle ie @45deg n 1kip of roof/structure/dynamic load is resolved to 0.707kip of horiz (X) n 0.707kip of vertical (Y) load. The Y load bares straight into column but the other 0.707kip X load is acting to tear welds n will stretch against roof structure making roof structure want to go flat; collapse, fall down, fail; as what happen n Max's roof- a situation to be avoided for many reasons ulness one is looking for insurance collection monies
otis-a

Postby otis-a » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:38 am

my carport is 6x6m all steel is on 1m spacing with square frame to support steel
2lower l l and 2 uppers = crossed small steel is laid atop big steel and roof attached to small
steel cost 18ktb = 500tb/sm
ugot 70 =35k tb steel
otis-a

Postby Sunpax » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:45 am

How can you from 6 x 6 m coming to 70 m2 roof ????

And if you read again what Seeze say...that he thinck my roof will be between 17000 and 20000 for stell and others items
Sunpax

Postby otis-a » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:40 am

how
(2/2)*500tb/sqmtr * 70 sqmtr =1000*70/2 =35*1000=35ktb

sorry i just do simple maths mentally by memorization of key numerals such as 1 over series 1/0.3=3 etc the halfs quarters n eights simple as is 10%

prior estimate was in error
when i measure my carport this am i find 6x6m or 36sqmtr and estimate steel at 18 vs 16 prior as 2x18=36
is just free estim take with grain o salt
i not charge engineers fees
otis-a

Postby Sunpax » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:59 am

prior estimate was in error
when i measure my carport this am i find 6x6m or 36sqmtr and estimate steel at 18 vs 16 prior as 2x18=36
is just free estim take with grain o salt
i not charge engineers fees

Lolll...but may pen rai you will be welcome if you come one time down the south...for a nice coffee cognac or whatoever you like ;)

Ps ...for me (because i don't have already buy any piece of stell for roof in my life ) its like reading chinese ;)
and I repeat again I DON'T have any shop here who sell this roof steel :( for what this discussion become maybe heavy !!!

If i had a shop here it's long that i will have resolved the roof question !
Sunpax

Postby Sunpax » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:25 pm

I thinck I begin to have an idea how i must calculate the roof steel...by now I found I will need around 25000 bahts only for the roof structure...

will need 26 pieces of C 75 X 50 at I thinck 550 bahts + 8 pieces of C100 x 50 at 800 bahts (not sure)
+ all alu pieces and things to fix the roof panels

26 x 550= 14300 bahts+ 8 x 800 = 6400 bahts + the big metal to put on top of the wall ++++???

+ the "tiles" ! around 20000 bahts...all together 20000 + 6400 + 14300 + ? = between 40300 and 50000 ???

ouf ! me dumm... it take me a long time to know whats mean c 150 x 50 and c 125 x 50 or c2 100 x 50 x 3.2mm ect ect

Now I need to find somewhere the price for the alu part !!!
Sunpax

Postby otis-a » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:18 pm

pics 2detail my carport roof which is simular to what jazman depicts for his hotel
'
this roof is commonly appied in los
'
some have more slope than others: for any chosen slope u will notice the column heights match the desired slope ie at crown or crest or high point of roof the columns are highest
'
there are other details u may wish to discuss with roofing shop such as making seals around edges
'
edge seals are not an issue for my open carport
'
methods of edge sealing may be reviewed on any number of existing structures
'
the smaller c beams are only used to lay tiles with larger C beams used elsewhere
'
this roof is made using 1m spacing on all parallel beams
'
it is completly the work and layout of wife father but seems a very simple budget roof
Attachments
Scr000698.jpg
Scr000699.jpg
Scr000700.jpg
Scr000701.jpg
otis-a

Postby sezze » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:53 pm

I hope you can see how they do it . Like i said , for me it was 29k . Roof size , well house itself is 84m2 , roof extending each side 80cm . The angle is steep so it results in more sqm of roof itself .
sezze

Postby Sunpax » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanck you Otis, the only thing i don't knew aout the roof was : how to calculate the steel structure !

the panels that I will certainly put on...are 1, 50 long and 8 kg weight

i know about the C75x 50 because i speak with an employee of Mapahant about it.

I will report on time whats going on ...i thinck in 6 weeks ,time to finish the second structure..

Seeze thanck you for pictures...
If you can remember the cost of the alu pieces will be very helpfull..
Sunpax

PreviousNext

Return to roofing